Putting out some feelers...

arimaeis

Aug 14, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ms. Piggy
I do custom leather work as a hobby and have been thinking for a while that it wouldn't be all that difficult to make dog collars.

So here is my question for you guys. Would any of you purchase a custom leather collar? It'll be heavy weight leather, custom dyed and tooled with quality buckles and rivets so it would be very sturdy.

And what do you think would be a fair price for a custom piece for a medium or large collar? I was leaning toward $40 to $80 per piece depending on the size and complexity of the design.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no idea, with 5 bullies I would not be able to get them all one.... but I am sure [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] could give you some insight, she got those collars she posted here. I know my recommendation would be to make sure it is not too heavy on their neck. :)

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Someday, when I have a full grown Bully... I would be interested in seeing what your able to do though

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
oooo i would sooo purchase some!!! i grew up with family that makes leather stuff for noccona boots what kind of designs can you do? do you have samples of any?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maybe once Daddy grows out of the chewing stage ... right now he can be found most of the time hanging off Maggies collar chewing on it .. would hate to waste a beautiful handmade collar on the little "demon child"!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
They sound cute but, I will be honest, I don't think I'd drop $80 on a collar. I think my limit would be $50 and I would have to LOVE it...I'm not sure if all dog owners are as frugal as me when it comes to collars though! Mine don't wear one unless they're out and about!

OP
arimaeis

arimaeis

Aug 14, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ms. Piggy
I'm really just putting out feelers. I don't expect anyone here to buy one but if anyone is interested after I work up a prototype design and a few patterns I'll gladly post them. Right now I make a lot of leather cuffs for everyday accessories and armor for LARP (Live Action Role Play) characters. I've very recently started putting stuff up on etsy.com There are two pieces up there now and I need to photograph and list four more in a few days.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much on a collar for my kids...but some of the pet boutiques I've gone into have badly made custom collars for that price range and higher. I have a hunch custom leather dog collars may be a limited market.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Cool, I love Esty...would you mind sharing the link to your work?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.