cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Driving into work this morning I noticed a little, white dog by himself, walking in downtown Los Angeles. He was so scrawny and such a cute thing and all I could do was sit there in the traffic, watching him cross the busy intersection. There was nowhere for me to stop safely and I was desperately looking for a police officer to flag down to help this pooch but I couldnā€™t find anyone. Also fumbled in my phone for an animal control phone number, which btw, I should have in my contact list at all times but did not! I was so mad at myself for not being able to safely stop somewhere to help this little dog.
There were pedestrians looking at him and also probably wondering to themselves why this dog was alone.

Anyways, I got into my work parking lot which is about 4 blocks from where I last spotted the stray dog and asked the security guard if he could help in some way but he was very hands off and pretty much told me NO. I went inside the clinic where I work to speak w/a police officer and told him the scenario. Luckily, this guy said he used to work for Animal Control and would contact them. I sure hope they find this dog. I feel awful right now b/c I couldnā€™t do more. I need to prepare myself better in the event that I do see a stray animal on the street. Iā€™m going to put together an ā€œemergency kitā€ā€”extra leash/collar, extra bowl for water, some treats, and of course, have the animal control phone number handy.

Any other suggestions or experiences with picking up or helping a stray dog would be most welcome.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great post henny.... this happen to me on my way in once too... a pick up truck behind me, stop pulled into the grass median and got the dog into his truck. Trafic was stopped on both sides of a very busy highway waiting for the outcome.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Christine. Just breaks my heart when I see this and I feel helpless when I cannot be more proactive .

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I hate seeing this as well. Sadly it is an everyday occurrence for me as there are no less that 20 to 30 strays running around my neighborhood each day and that is just the ones without collars on. Cat wise that number is probably over 100. Animal Control is worthless by me as they just tell you to care for the animal until they can come out 2 or 3 weeks later but they are quick to say that you will be prosecuted should anything happen to that animal once you try and help it so most of the time people don't even bother around here.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
This happened to me I saw a dog running along the street but was unable to safely stop to pick him up. I felt just horrible all day. But reading this makes me feel better knnowing that somebody like you probably came along and picked the dog up to find its owners

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Henny, I hope they helped him. Seeing strays just breaks my heart and some wanna be saved and some are too scared to let me. By sad and it breaks my heart when I find strays.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7831]TubbysMom[/MENTION], I've been feeling pretty terrible all day b/c I keep seeing the dog in my head and how he was licking the sidewalk puddle probably b/c he was thirsty. He looked like he had a collar on too so makes me wonder if he got out of one of the apartments in Chinatown which was nearby. I truly hope someone kind picked him up and got him some help. It was so busy with people going to work and it's a very urban area that I just have to think positive about it but still makes me worried. I just feel bad :(

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I bet he got picked up probably right when you drove past him. They are really strict about loose dogs in that part of the city. It reminds me of something from last Monday 7/8/13 on the channel 7 news. It was on the early morning newscast did you see the little French Bully at the Lacey Street animal shelter that they are holding there as evidence? They arrested his owner who's 28 for swinging him around by the leg and throwing him up against his house? He is the cutest thing and he's only 5 months old. Already has been neutered and has all of his shots. I called over there that afternoon and they said if he's put up for adoption it will be August 7th at the earliest. The officer I spoke to told me to call in August 1st and see if he will be available. So sad how cruel people are.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION], are u thinking of adopting that Frenchie? I did hear about him on the news and that left me feeling very, very sad about humans and how cruel some people can be. It's good to know he is on the road to recovery tho! Thanks for giving me some encouragement about the dog I saw today.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@pdolphin27, are u thinking of adopting that Frenchie? I did hear about him on the news and that left me feeling very, very sad about humans and how cruel some people can be. It's good to know he is on the road to recovery tho! Thanks for giving me some encouragement about the dog I saw today.

I am!!! :) but I don't think he'll be let go to adoption. I'm sure the old owner will get him back. I was thinking that he's being fed poorly there. He is so dang cute!! I wanted to just grab him away from that officer lady that was holding him and kiss his little brown head and those ears. AWWWE..:D:D Almost as cute as Finn! :) I think Buster would love him!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Why would they give it back to the owner? What is wrong with our system? That is animal abuse! Swinging a puppy around by it's leg and slamming it into the house??? How horrible. That is sickening.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I hate seeing stray dogs! Luckily for me usually if I see a stray it's someone's pet who just got loose, I rarely see actual stray dogs who have no owners. Just a few months ago I was out walking Gio and I saw a golden running around the neighborhood, I knew he belonged to someone so I took Gio's leash off and put it on the golden! Gio stays with me when on walks and usually I take him on off leash walks anyways so I wasn't too worried about him, plus I was holding his handle on his harness while we walked home. When we finally got hold of the owners I dropped him off (really didn't want to since he was the SWEETEST dog ever!) and was talking to the owner, she didn't even know he was missing because apparently their yard has an electric fence, glad to know those work!!! But I too have an extra leash, treats and bowl in my car incase of an emergency.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I transport dogs and we often get training materials from one of the organizations that I volunteer for. It just happens that this week we got this article on how to catch a stray dog or a dog that gets away from us. One of the worst things that you can do is CALL a stray dog or panicked dog! That's because if too many people have already tried to capture the dog, calling him becomes a "trigger" that can cause him to automatically take off in fear when anyone, including his owner, calls him. Instead, make some type of other noise like clearing your throat or fake a sneeze to alert the dog to your presence. Then look away, which is a submissive gesture. You can even fake like you're eating food on the ground, and we suggest that you have a baggie of smelly treats like pieces of hotdog or liver treats. Sit down on the ground, or even lay flat on your back and pat your chest. Do anything other than staring straight at your dog while walking towards him! One of our volunteers captured a tiny terrier that ran from her when she called him but he came wiggling up to her once she laid flat on her back and patted her chest. Another of our volunteers captured a panicked dog by getting out of the car with a Frisbee and started tossed it back and forth with the dog owner as they both just ignored the dog. WHEN YOU FIXATE ALL OF YOUR ATTENTION ON YOUR DOG AND THAT DOG IS IN A "FIGHT OR FLIGHT" MODE, HE WILL BECOME EVEN MORE TERRIFIED THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO CATCH HIM! So work to get his attention and then do something with food as you sit or lay down flat and work to attract him to come to you.
One thing I would add to your list would be Vienna Sausages or a can of smelly cat food. It will last a long time and makes a great very strong smelling attractant. I'm sorry you had a tough day.
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge, [MENTION=8502]christyjulene[/MENTION]. I would not have thought of all those techniques to get the dog to come to you. And I can/will definitely carry a some canned vienna sausage in my car like u suggested b/c i actually do buy those frequently as "special" treats for the boys too!

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
I was going to suggest hot dogs because that's what Tia uses on pit bulls and parolees. I bawled the WHOLE WAY HOME one night because I couldn't safely stop for a dog in the road. It was a pit but looked TERRIFIED- that's what got me the worst. The look of absolute terror.

I just posted a rant on Facebook about people not keeping up with their animals. And as an animal lover, I know that some just dont think like I do. There are WAY TOO MANY strays in MS as far as I'm concerned.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.