Thread: Seeing A Stray Dog

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeing A Stray Dog

I transport dogs and we often get training materials from one of the organizations that I volunteer for. It just happens that this week we got this article on how to catch a stray dog or a dog that gets away from us. One of the worst things that you can do is CALL a stray dog or panicked dog! That's because if too many people have already tried to capture the dog, calling him becomes a "trigger" that can cause him to automatically take off in fear when anyone, including his owner, calls him. Instead, make some type of other noise like clearing your throat or fake a sneeze to alert the dog to your presence. Then look away, which is a submissive gesture. You can even fake like you're eating food on the ground, and we suggest that you have a baggie of smelly treats like pieces of hotdog or liver treats. Sit down on the ground, or even lay flat on your back and pat your chest. Do anything other than staring straight at your dog while walking towards him! One of our volunteers captured a tiny terrier that ran from her when she called him but he came wiggling up to her once she laid flat on her back and patted her chest. Another of our volunteers captured a panicked dog by getting out of the car with a Frisbee and started tossed it back and forth with the dog owner as they both just ignored the dog. WHEN YOU FIXATE ALL OF YOUR ATTENTION ON YOUR DOG AND THAT DOG IS IN A "FIGHT OR FLIGHT" MODE, HE WILL BECOME EVEN MORE TERRIFIED THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO CATCH HIM! So work to get his attention and then do something with food as you sit or lay down flat and work to attract him to come to you.
    One thing I would add to your list would be Vienna Sausages or a can of smelly cat food. It will last a long time and makes a great very strong smelling attractant. I'm sorry you had a tough day.
    @cali baker
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge, @christyjulene. I would not have thought of all those techniques to get the dog to come to you. And I can/will definitely carry a some canned vienna sausage in my car like u suggested b/c i actually do buy those frequently as "special" treats for the boys too!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter
    Likes (Received)

I was going to suggest hot dogs because that's what Tia uses on pit bulls and parolees. I bawled the WHOLE WAY HOME one night because I couldn't safely stop for a dog in the road. It was a pit but looked TERRIFIED- that's what got me the worst. The look of absolute terror.

I just posted a rant on Facebook about people not keeping up with their animals. And as an animal lover, I know that some just dont think like I do. There are WAY TOO MANY strays in MS as far as I'm concerned.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

I can't sand seeng strays either. I also can't stand seeing ppl in my area allow their pets to roam. I've seen way to many poor nimble on the side of the road to even think this is a good idea. A family who lives down the road let their chihuahua roam..it upset me A. Cos it would come in poop in my yard - which my own dogs don't even do, B. the dogs was hard to see and not afraid of ppl or cars...many times I almost hit it trying to get into my driveway. It also chased after my son last year sharing him. One of its owners came out cos he was screaming...he air kicked the dog telling it no n to get inside only to let it back out an hour later. I asked him if he wasn't afraid of losing his fog..that surely he was aware o the dangers. 'oh yeah, its all good, this lil guy is tough. was hit hit a car years ago and still a feisty lil thing' Guess what. Last week they posted pics up around the neighborhood w 'lost dog'.. Frikkn idiots... sry for ranting. I'm just one of those that stops to try to help an animal, be it dog, cat, snake etc...a few tears ago i ended up directing traffic to help move a lager head turtle across the street so it didn't get hit...my hubby to this day won't let me live his embarrassment of that one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads