June Garden Tour

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here's a peek of how we're looking so far in the Mukilteo Garden!

http://youtu.be/DeTERNbJ9oo

I even included a few NEW plants I'm putting in this morning. Not sure where I'm going to PUT them...but it's too late now. They're here. LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
FANTASTIC.... love the bachelor buttons , roses and Bulldog Gargoyle

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Fantastic as always!

Your season is much further along than ours. Spring is on delay here in Wisconsin this year. still getting a lot of nights in the 40's with days only in the upper 50's so things are not growing as fast as normal either.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:clap2: your garden rocks and the roses are simply breathtaking as are the petunias :judges: very nice!!!

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
:clap2: your garden rocks and the roses are simply breathtaking as are the petunias :judges: very nice!!!

You know....interesting you should mention petunias.... I love them but hate dead heading them; its a necessary evil I guess. This year, I bought only SUPERTUNIAS and a plant called a POTUNIA. Best move ever. The Potunias (they're a mango color and growing in clumps in the front) are staying in their nice round mounds of big flowers (not as big as Super Cascades but still nice) and holding up really well with just a little dead heading. The Supertunias of course, are like vines and they're growing like weeds. The flower seems to last longer so there's less deadheading there also. I love "Madness" variety petunias - because of the flower to leaf ratio (LOTS of medium sized flowers) but the deadheading...UGH! I'm swearing off everything else but Potunias and Supertunias now!

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
FANTASTIC.... love the bachelor buttons , roses and Bulldog Gargoyle
Isn't he wonderful? Found him at TJ Maxx for like nine bucks. I'd have wrestled that out of someone else's hands --- sumo wrestler style -- had I not been the one that nabbed it first.

Wow! It's a grand garden! :up:
Becky, some people spend money on therapy and psychiatric services..... I garden instead. If I didn't, I would have killed my mother and buried her under the rose bushes years ago. Now, I just leave her bitching in the house and I escape to the garden....

Beautiful garden!
Thank you. Since I live in the city, I have to bring my beauty to me. You, however, are SURROUNDED by the gorgeousness we all wished we saw every day!

Fantastic as always!

Your season is much further along than ours. Spring is on delay here in Wisconsin this year. still getting a lot of nights in the 40's with days only in the upper 50's so things are not growing as fast as normal either.

You are right. I've noticed that too. I bet your summer is going to extend far beyond ours though.

I get super annoyed when people say, "Climate change is BS". Look around buddy. Climate change is REAL! We gardeners know!

Did you plant tomatoes Lari? Or are you going to? With the long spring delay, you may never get fruit!!! Last year was horrible for tomatoes. This year, I may actually have some. I have three varieties going so I'd better get at least one Greek Salad out of this garden or ELSE!:cursing:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You know....interesting you should mention petunias.... I love them but hate dead heading them; its a necessary evil I guess. This year, I bought only SUPERTUNIAS and a plant called a POTUNIA. Best move ever. The Potunias (they're a mango color and growing in clumps in the front) are staying in their nice round mounds of big flowers (not as big as Super Cascades but still nice) and holding up really well with just a little dead heading. The Supertunias of course, are like vines and they're growing like weeds. The flower seems to last longer so there's less deadheading there also. I love "Madness" variety petunias - because of the flower to leaf ratio (LOTS of medium sized flowers) but the deadheading...UGH! I'm swearing off everything else but Potunias and Supertunias now!

I've often had great success with petunias with very little deadheading. They just seem to bloom and bloom. They do get leggy but still pretty with little work.
This picture is from 2009 when we used to do a "knot garden" type of thing where the Tiered garden in the back is. The snap dragon blooms were often fodder for the bunnies that year so that's why they weren't blooming so well.

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I've often had great success with petunias with very little deadheading. They just seem to bloom and bloom. They do get leggy but still pretty with little work.
This picture is from 2009 when we used to do a "knot garden" type of thing where the Tiered garden in the back is. The snap dragon blooms were often fodder for the bunnies that year so that's why they weren't blooming so well.

Maybe the problem isn't petunias -- it's ME. LOL I'm too Petunia Anal Retentive. LOL

I love the idea of bunnies back there, eating the crap out of your snaps....! They're too cute to be mad at, right? I'd probably just plant extra for them and pray.

The other day, my neighbor Bob was over here, talking gardening. He loves my yard and I share perennials with him. The "Easter Bunny" got him two big bags of manure too (he's on a fixed income) and he loves to talk about his yard and all the things he's doing. It's fun to watch his excitement with it. So he's over here the other day and he sees some little holes in a few of my David Austin rose leaves.

He says, "Oooo. Look at that. What you gonna spray on that?"
I say, "Nothing."
He looks at me incredulously. "Nothing?"
I said, "Whom-ever's eating that is someone else's meal. I cannot take food out of -- say, my little Pacific Tree Frog's mouths, can I? Whatever that is (it was some kind of defoliator which eventually will turn into a moth) isn't going to eat the whole bush. They can have a few leaves."
He stood there, looking at the plant for a minute and finally said, "I never thought of it that way." :D

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I do try to redirect the bunnies (and this year Miss Amelia) to chew in less visible areas...one year I planted a pack of lettuce seeds just for the bunnies. I think it was the same year they ate the snapdragon blooms actually. I got some nice lettuce for myself though. ;)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I find myself deadheading the petunias too . Especially the potted ones. as for bunnies, yeah they get through the fence, but my real nemesis is the chipmunks grrrrrr, as soon as a tomato turns pink on just one side, they eat that side and then the next one and the next. never eating the whole tomato just the first pink on one side, little bastards :cursing:

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I find myself deadheading the petunias too . Especially the potted ones. as for bunnies, yeah they get through the fence, but my real nemesis is the chipmunks grrrrrr, as soon as a tomato turns pink on just one side, they eat that side and then the next one and the next. never eating the whole tomato just the first pink on one side, little bastards :cursing:

We don't have Chipmunks on this side of the mountains. They're SO CUTE!!!!! I know. I know. Not so cute when they're destroying crops but still.....so little and adorable....:heart: Just like Lari's bun buns!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We'll send you some chipmunks!!!! and bunnies!!!! Im buying a gun! Be vewy very quiet, I'm huntin' Wabbits!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.