Amazing experience

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When I took Remi to the animal hospital, and was waiting for his diagnosis, a couple from puerto rico came in. They literally only spoke 5 words of english and they had a hurt doxin.

The vet techs were like OMG you don't speak ANY english?! and were kind of freaking out. I took 4 years of spanish. 2.5 years were I had an amazing teacher, and the other years was kind of a dumbed down version. Needless to say, high school was a long time ago and boy am I rusty.

Somehow, I was able to help translate, and it was really awesome. It just really makes me want to brush up on my spanish. It's just so amazing to communicate with another culture. There is an understanding on such a basic level and a such gratitude when you're in another country.

I definitely referred them to a client of mine who specializes in teaching Spanish in the workplace.

Just figured I'd share!!! Was pretty cool. (Except the part where I had to try to explain to them the question of if their dog was neutered! ROFL!!!)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Excellent.... i had 4 years of spanish too... do not remember any of it! So, glad you were there to help them through a very stressful situation

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Very cool. I also took Spanish in high school. Aside from being able to count to ten (which helps absolutely nothing), nothing stuck.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
OH Jane, that's too funny. I can see you smiling ear to ear trying to translate neuter , what is the word in Spanish?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
That's friggin awesome! My four years of Spanish only allowed me to confidently buy drugs back in the 80's.

Hey, "Spanish Student of the Year, Glacier High School, 1976" here so I can completely understand your awesomeness. heh heh (Glacier High School is now a police academy...LOL Irony!)

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
OH Jane, that's too funny. I can see you smiling ear to ear trying to translate neuter , what is the word in Spanish?

Hahahaha. I actually said something like, "can your dog make puppies?" hahahahha. It was the only way I could figure it out. It was something like ¿puede hacer que su perro cachorros?

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
That's friggin awesome! My four years of Spanish only allowed me to confidently buy drugs back in the 80's.

Hey, "Spanish Student of the Year, Glacier High School, 1976" here so I can completely understand your awesomeness. heh heh (Glacier High School is now a police academy...LOL Irony!)

Vicki - what?!?!?! Holy crap!!! You must have THE most amazing stories ever to share.... hint hint.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Vicki - what?!?!?! Holy crap!!! You must have THE most amazing stories ever to share.... hint hint.

Amazing? I dunno about that. I'm not sure what I'd call them beyond "pathetic" LOL. It's one hell of a way to use one's Spanish skills. Ugh.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
That's awesome!

English is only my 3rd language. I learned English for 15 years in school and I was pretty fluent at it before I moved to the US. But, I tell ya, I walked into the airport and could not understand what I was hearing. There is a very big difference between school English and conversational English and even today (in America for 20 years now), I still struggle with the colloquial variations. I remembered how lost and alone I felt at the airport. So, I can sympathize with the Spanish couple trying to get help at the vet.

I only know a smattering of Spanish. My native dialect use a lot of Spanish words. We use castrado or estrilizado in my native tongue which is derived from Spanish. So, you can probably get the thought across by asking, "Que su perro castrado?"

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.