Sick

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I've been sick for days. I feel like I want to die, literally. I have some kind of stomach thing, can't keep anything down. My throat is raw from throwing up so much. Going to the doctors isn't an option so I'm here to ask you, is there anything that I can take to stop this insanity? When I was a kid my mom used to give us coke syrup. I bought some but just smelling that stuff makes my stomach spin. :*(

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Oh no that sounds awful :nope:. I hope you feel better soon & quickly. The only thing that seems to help me when I am sick to my stomach is flat ginger ale. I know it sounds silly but something about it just settles things.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ginger ale works for me, too. Sometimes Jello made with ginger ale instead of water is good. When you can keep that down you should move on to yogurt.

You must have that awful flu. Take care and get well soon!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ooooo Bev...you just have to let it run it's course. But getting dehydrated is a real concern. Popsicles help..and don't drink large amounts of liquid. Tiny drinks..nibbling on soda crackers. The coke syrup is an old time remedy...but I doubt you will keep it down. Are you running a fever? Anything else besides the vomiting? I'm so sorry..:(

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Ooooo Bev...you just have to let it run it's course. But getting dehydrated is a real concern. Popsicles help..and don't drink large amounts of liquid. Tiny drinks..nibbling on soda crackers. The coke syrup is an old time remedy...but I doubt you will keep it down. Are you running a fever? Anything else besides the vomiting? I'm so sorry..:(

fever started last night. Not a big one, just 101.2

I don't want it to run it's course. I want it GONE!

I've been drinking ginger ale but I haven't let it go flat, maybe I'll try that. I never heard of making jello with the ginger ale. That sounds pretty good

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I never heard of coke syrup, but flat ginger ale is what I always drink when I have the flu, or if I'm sick, I used to give this to my kids when they were young. They still think of ginger ale as something you drink when you are sick. All good advice above, you don't want to dehydrate. Jello is good, soda crackers, flat ginger ale, stay away from apple juice as it is too acidic, and will cause more tummy upset, take small sips more often. Then when you are feeling a little better and not throwing up anymore, start eating again slowly, and use the BRAT diet. I gave this to my kids after they had had the flu or upset stomach, and it is recommended by paediatricians. BRAT stands for Banana, Rice, Apple Sauce, and Toast. Eat these things for a few days after you get better, because they are easy to digest, and won't make your digestive system work too hard. They are easy on the stomach and will allow your stomach to start to get used to food again. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm really sick today too, stayed home from work, and going to see my doctor this afternoon. I woke up yesterday morning with a scratchy throat, and a bit of a runny nose, I thought I was coming down with a cold, but by the time it was almost time to leave work, I knew I had a fever, I was hot, and my head hurt, and I was shivering. I came home at 6:00 and took my temperature it was 40 Celsius. I was shaking shivers and my head was throbbing and I can hardly swallow. I took Tylenol and went to bed at 7 pm. This morning no better, still have a fever, and I can't swallow, and my ears hurt. I think I have either Strep throat or tonsillitis, my tonsils are as big as golf balls, and it hurts my ears when I swallow. I see the doctor at 1:00 pm, and maybe get some Penicillin. Ugh I hate being sick.

Last edited:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I am so sorry to read you're sick. Brings back memories for me.... Can you get any gatorade or powerade down? I know it might sound odd but it will help rehydrate you and replace much needed electrolights (I've worked with nurses for 10 years). Also...I know you said your throat is raw but is there anyway you could try to eat some saltines or just a small piece of soft bread? That might help with your stomach acid. Deep sigh. How long have you been sick? Are you pooping ok? PLEASE keep us posted.... ((HUGS))
[MENTION=3652]Lauren31287[/MENTION] Actually, its not silly and you are right! Ginger ale soothes the stomach.

(edited for grammer)

Oh [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] ... some help, please?! Thanks friend

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
If you have some fresh ginger in the house, put some of that in hot tea. That will help w/your stomach. Are you nauseated or just regurgitating/vomiting? Take little sips of whatever you do drink tho so as not to vomit it all back out. Poor thing, hope you start feeling better soon.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Ginger is excellent for stomach upset. I took it on a cruise a couple years ago and didn't get sick even when we were in rough seas. I believe drinking ginger ale should help--if you can find some that isn't just ginger flavored. I'm worried more about your fluid status. If you aren't taking anything in, it will throw your fluid status and electrolyte balance off. Is there a minor emergency or free clinic you can go to? They might be able to give you something to help with the nausea and dehydration. I hope you feel better soon! Once you can keep things down, start slowly with clear liquids like jello or broth.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I sure hope you feel better soon Bev. :hug: I don't have any suggestions really. Any chance you can call the doctor and have them call in a prescription for you?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Bev...I'm so sorry to hear how miserable you are feeling.

Slippery elm is great to ease nausea and coats the stomach
and heals, can someone p/up at a health store for you?

Perhaps p/up real ginger, grate and add to hot tea & sip it
thru out the day...for adults, 101.2 IS enough to put us down.

Praying for YOU, dear friend and keep us posted...if it worsens
please head to a clinic asap...I'll help w/bill. Much love!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh no, you sound bad. :( at the dr they can give tamiflu (a shot to shorten the flu) but you have to get it within like the first 48 hours. A dr recommended elderberry to us the last time we were sick, it works the same as the shot, shortens the life of the flu. It is really sweet in the syrup form tho and if vomiting I am sure would be hard to take on its own. They make it in pill form also, that might work better. Hugs!! I know how bad you must be feeling. Hope you r feeling a little better this morning.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Awe Bev, I was so hoping to log in this morning and find you feeling somewhat better. I am so sorry nothing seems to have helped, yet atleast.
Get better! I was hoping to see you Saturday. ((HUGS))

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.