The bringer of death to all fruitflies?.....Help me kill the little suckers before I go nutso lol

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Ok, so a couple weeks ago I brought home some fruit. My little boy didn't eat all his apple and threw it in the trash, no biggie right? Well then we got a few really nice warm days, and I ended up with a few fruit-flies, then a few more, then last Saturday I spent the night at my boyfriends only to come home Sunday night to a infestation of the little buggers:cursing:. Seriously, thousands. It's gross and it makes me itchy just thinking about it.
I have tried the little traps with apple cider vinegar and dish soap, I have tried spraying them with rubbing alcohol (Something I was told would kill them on the spot) nothing is working. I cant have the fly strips because Herbie would try and get them and I don't see that ending well. A long haired cat and a fly strip? No thank you lol
Can any one help before they drive me nutso? Well even more so than I already am lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
here are just a few things i found online.

We had a problem with fruit flies in our Kitchen and bathroom. We tried different vinagers, fruit, and bug sprays but nothing really seemed to work. They would be gone in the morning, then in the afternoon, there were tons again. We dont leave food out and our kitchen and bathroom are kept clean. So...sound kinda gross but we vaccummed the little buggers up, and emptied it outside, then poured bleach down the drains. I read sometimes they come up through the drains. So far, so good.

I just set out a bit of rose in a glass and a bit of cider vinegar and I didn't get anything. Then I added some dish soap to each one and the cider still had none and the glass of rose collected several and is still collecting more. They're almost gone! Yay!

I have found the easiest and most efficient way to get rid of annoying fruit flies. First it’s important to clean the counters well, put food away and clean the sink (allowing soap to run into the drain or disposal. Then, when you are ready to run a load of dishes (sorry, this only works if you have a dishwasher) load the dishwasher, put the soap in and pour about a 1/4 cup of cider vinegar in the bottom of the machine. Leave the door open for an hour or so, then quietly close it. Run your load as usual. The flies are killed immediately and are down the drain in the first run off. As long as you keep the kitchen clean, they won’t be back - or at least not for a long time!

Yeah that works! I did put wine, water and little bit dish soap into bowl. The fruit flies are already dead. Do not leave dirty dish until you finish the dishwasher. You must do to put the dishes away. It is taken over night then, When you woke up in the morning that work good greatest. Then you have to throw away. Do it again and again there is no more fruit files. You have to watch the fruit flies will come back again. Do it again same things. Thank you

The best non-chemical way to rid them from your living space is to fill about an inch of cider Cider vinegar or wine vinegar (some people use balsamic too but I don't think it works as well as cider vinegar) and make absolutely sure that you put 1 drop of dish soap into the vinegar. The dish soap breaks the plane so that fruit flies sink and drown in the liquid. If you don't add the dish soap, they won't sink and drown. Cover the container with plastic wrap and keep it in place with a rubber band or masking tape. I poke holes in the plastic wrap with a push pin. I put a trap in my kitchen and my living room as well but if you have a bigger infestation, you should put as many out as you have containers.

Every summer, I get the fruit fly invasion but I live in a 4-plex and pretty much everyone gets them too and I think that they come from the kitchen sink drain. I do throw about a cup of chlorine bleach down the drains about once a week so that the eggs get destroyed.

I just put out my first Fruit Fly Trap of the season two days ago and cleared my kitchen in about 24 hours. One single semi-rotten apricot (tomatoes, peaches, plums, grapes - they all work just as well) in a mason jar. Cover the top tightly with plastic and screw on the band. Poke a single hole in the plastic with a toothpick. Watch the fun! I usually release them outside once or twice a day. After a few days the fruit in the trap gets too rotten and you have to replace it with a new one. I swear this works. I've seen fruit fly traps for sale in uppity gardening catalogues for as much as $12 each. Nonsense.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I've always used a little wine in a glass to kill them. A cheap, fruity wine works best. They drown when they land in what they think is a glass of fruit.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I use an empty cup of yogurt, & put some fruit in it, then cover it with plastic wrap, & poke tiny holes in the plastic wrap. The holes have to be small enough for them to not get out of the plastic wrap. I leave it out & once they are all trapped I hurry & throw it in a garbage bag, throw it away.

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys. I am ready to pull my hair out over these nasty buggers. I am going to try everything here untill they are gone. OR burn the house down lol

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I try to be as green as possible but I am not living with a bug no matter what kind it is. I will allow the moths to come in so the cats can fine tune their preditor instincts but everyting else is killing with a pesticide. I spray the house with fly spray and keep all trash outside. I am just asking for trouble keeping trash in the house with two cats and two bullies and I am a freak about bugs. My hat is off to everyone who has the patience to handle the fruit flies with vinegar and wines and such but for me.............give me a can of raid and watch me go.....:guns::guns:

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I use brake or carb cleaner for wasps, ants, or any bug - kills evrything dead. If you have any in your garage, I'm sure it would take care of those FF.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
so i ended up with fruit flies and i did the apple cidar vinegar on a saucer with some dish liquid and yes it killed lots of them but just when i thought they were gone they would come back. i was keeping my dishes in the dishwasher had put the garbage outside on the porch but still the flies came. finally i poured clorox down the sink drain and did the acv on the plate thing and they are almost gone now. i think its important to clorox the drain if you have a real problem with them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have no remedies to share but I will tell you a disgusting story.

About 21 years ago I moved with my ex-husband and my baby son to a very old house in England, that had been updated a lot in the 70s and seemed to be stuck in that era. The kitchen counters were tiles. After a few months I notice we're having a really bad fruit fly epidemic and no matter what I did I couldn't work out where the hell the little buggers were coming from. One day I noticed that a couple of the tiles in the counter top had lost alot of the grouting and so I got a knife and managed to lift one of the tiles up. Only to find maggots!!!!! :eek:

I bleached the crap out of them!!! :guns:

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Oh ikk lol
My mom was telling me how she went to pick up a garbage bag full of bad meat scraps out in her garage and it was covered in maggots. My sister feeds her dogs raw, so they end up with alot of raw meat scraps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.