phone upgrade

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so ive been able to upgrade my phone for a while now but have been waiting as the phone i have now works fine but i hate it. i have a htc incredible 2. so ive been looking at the samsung galaxy s3 for a bit now as my bf has one. well now the s4 is out the s3 price has gone down. so do i get the s3 for the lower price or spring for the brand new s4? im on verizon and the s4 will be available at the end of this month. not sure its worth the extra 100 dollars or so. thoughts?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It depends. I'm the type that would get annoyed if I got a new phone, then a few weeks later a newer model of it came out. Not so much about the features, just a mental thing with me..lol.
But if you're ok with it, and the new model doesn't have anything extra you want, then save yourself the money and go with the S3.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Are they both 4G capable? Do you want a bigger screen and will the new one have it? The newer one probably has a faster processor and possibly more RAM. Which will has the bigger battery? do either have a removable battery? If it does, you may be able to put a larger capacity one in. Here's a comparison of the 2.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devicesController/viewCompareDevices.do?item=phoneFirst

By the way, did you know that if you currently have unlimited data on your plan and want to get a Verizon Phone at the 2 year contract price, you'll loose the unlimited and have to go to the 2 GB cap? The only way you can keep the unlimited data is to pay full price for the new phone.

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Are they both 4G capable? Do you want a bigger screen and will the new one have it? The newer one probably has a faster processor and possibly more RAM. Which will has the bigger battery? do either have a removable battery? If it does, you may be able to put a larger capacity one in. Here's a comparison of the 2.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/devicesController/viewCompareDevices.do?item=phoneFirst

By the way, did you know that if you currently have unlimited data on your plan and want to get a Verizon Phone at the 2 year contract price, you'll loose the unlimited and have to go to the 2 GB cap? The only way you can keep the unlimited data is to pay full price for the new phone.
yes ive checked the specs out on both phones on verizon site and other sites as well the specs are better on the s4. yes both 4g and yes faster processor more ram bigger battery and yes they are both removable. just wonder is what is new worth the extra money? yes i know ill lose my unlimited data but i use less than 1 gb per month so not that big of a deal to me. actually ill come out 10 dollars ahead that way.

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

lol...if you had gotten the S3 ages ago when you were first looking to upgrade we wouldnt be having this coversation :p thats why Becky is :banghead:

But since we are..my vote would be for the S4 I would always get the latest model of anything...although Chris has the S3 and is simply waiting for the data upgrade that will make it the same as the S4 anyway :D

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
If you're going to upgrade then really upgrade and go for the latest and greatest! No holding back!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
oh good grief woman just go get a new phone :p

What are you going to use your phone for? There are some cutesy features on the G4 but unless you plan on playing Crysis or Planetside you don't need quad core on a phone. CPU intensive games like that aren't optimized to use that many threads anyway. Are you going to do video editing? Are you going to actually use the IR blaster to control your tv? If all you are going to use your phone for is phone calls, putting up with my complaining in text messages, Facebook and EBN then save yourself some money and get the G3.

Here is the techcrunch comparison of the 2 phones. Both are rated basically the same with the G3 scoring higher for battery life.

http://smartphones.techcrunch.com/compare/245-427/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S4

Get the phone you will use and forget the fancy features if you don't plan on using them. You could get a phone in beta and the day it is released to the public it will already be outdated. True story :tongue:

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I have the S4 and love it! Granted I went from the S2 to the S4 so it was a big jump. The camera is 13 mp I believe which is almost better than my expensive digital camera. It takes video in 1080p instead of 720 like the S3. Other than that I am not sure what the other differences are but I absolutely love mine. The camera is really fast which makes taking pictures of bulldogs easy! :p

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thanks to all who replied I was hoping to find someone who actually had the phone. And :p to the rest of you and you know who you are

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I went from the Droid x to the Samsung Galaxy 3 it has 4 G and I have had it for a while and I really like it. Also on Verizon. Have no complaints with the phone and the transfer is easy as pie. You just log into your Google account and presto all your contacts are on your new phone. All your google apps will be on your new phone when you make the transfer too but some of your add on apps that aren't google you may have to reload if you still want them. I have as much as I can in the cloud. For instance all my music which is on my pc which I have gathered for years are in Google play and so I can stream them all on my phone. I like the Galaxy, the screen is larger much clearer than my old Droid as well as many of the other upgrades. Just better and have no complaints in its operation.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online