witness to hit and run last night

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Coming home from class I was a witness to a hit and run. Thank the Lord for telling me to get the tag number of the jerk that left. The poor lady was shaking like a leaf. She was upset she couldn't get her driver side door open (the side they sideswiped) so I helped her open her door. We waited for the cops and actually found the right side headlight off the other car - indicated the car was built in 1999 (I know a little about car parts) and the rest of the numbers on the part would help lead the police to the make and model, as that was the only thing I wasn't able to get. I got an e-mail this morning that around 10:30 last night they found the driver, 18 years old, and had the nerve to tell the cop she hit him! Really? Sure that makes sense, we all see hit and runs where the victim of the accident races off! Give me a break. He got 3 tickets but she still doesn't know if he has insurance. I told her to let me know when the court date is, I'll be there with bells on. This poor family. Their niece, a few years back, had been walking for halloween and was hit by a drunk driver who left the scene. They found the guy 4 weeks later with a fixed car....they were able to track him down from a piece of his car that was left at the scene. Because of the time delay they weren't able to charge him with DUI - but the guy went 4 counties away to get his car fixed...hum....

I've only been a witness to one other accident and it wasn't a hit and run. The parties worked it out outside of court so I wasn't needed. As soon as both accidents happened I wrote down some notes, the weather conditions, time it happened, details of what I saw, this way I don't have to worry about details if I am called to court of if the victims insurance needs a statement 7 months from now.

The lady was shaken up and then pissed. I told her atleast you are alive and ok, the car can be fixed. Thank the Lord it wasn't worse.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK -- so what are you going to school for... major? Cause your attention to detail better come into play!

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Well, I am a Virgo and we are all about detail. I always wanted to be a cop since I was little, but it never worked out...My associates degree will be Business Management/Entrepreneurship (never knew how to spell that word until now!) I want to start my own business.

I'm glad they were able to track down this guy. But it baffled me when the cop was disappointed that I didn't know the make/model of the car. REALLY? Dude, I practically handed them to you on a silver platter...You've got: #1. The tag number, #2 a piece of headlight from the car that has a part number on it, #3 the year of the car. Its not like you have to go all "CSI" on this and the only evidence you have is a paint chip to figure this out. How many 1999 maroon colored cars with a missing headlight and that tag number are registered in New Jersey? Geesh.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow great job in my opinion you helped catch this guy!!! :bravo:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
As a lawyer I have to say that you are an attorney's dream with all the information you get and write down! So many witnesses never remember stuff by the time an attorney is involved and the case goes to trial.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=7432]tiffykay06[/MENTION] You're a lawyer? May I ask what type of lawyer? Only because I'll need one to guide me through the starting of my business.
That's the reason I started this thread. Hopefully next time someone is in an accident or sees one, they'll be clear thinking about details and write it down. Seriously, carry pen and paper in your car. This woman was shaken up so bad she didn't know which way was right or left. And believe me, with my memory, and the time they take to process things, I would've forgotten most of the details come time for court.

edited to fix spelling error.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Wow that's great. Is probably be a terrible witness. Good thing you kept your head about you.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I got a friend request last night on facebook...I thought the name looked familiar (at least the first name) and low and behold it was the lady that was hit. I didn't tell her I was on facebook but she found me. I ok'd the friendship request but thought it was a little odd....she did it so she could post a Thank you message to me for everyone to see. That was totally unexpected and very kind of her. I'm just glad I could help.

Most Reactions