Anti-Bully Campaign

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
The kids went to an anti-bully seminar over the weekend in their BJJ school. I can't help but think - how can we be anti-bully? Bullys are one of the greatest things on the planet! :D

Anyway, things they learned:
1.) Do not be the bully. A trained martial artist bully is the worst kind of bully.
2.) If you see a bully making fun of somebody, don't aid the bully by laughing.

And the kids learned steps to deal with a bully who targets them:
1.) Ignore the bully. Just simply walk away.
2.) When a bully gives you a put-down, immediately give yourself a put-up.
3.) If the bully targets you again, tell the bully in a clear and calm manner to Stop because it makes people feel bad. Walk away and then tell an authority (parent, teacher, etc.) about the incident in a calm manner in complete detail and without embellishments or exaggerations.
4.) If the bully tries to use physical force, use your BJJ training to take him down, then walk away at the first opportunity and tell an authority.

I added a 5th step:
5.) Then go home and hug your bully and get some good bully lovings in return.

Last edited:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
That's really great information! Wish this campaign was going on when I was a kid...being an out gay kid in the 80's/early 90's certainly made you a target.
Sounds like they took in a great deal of information, lets hope they never have to use it. And I love #5!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm not a violent person, at all. But I believe that bullies stop bullying as soon as you punch 'em in the face. Walking away never works. Confrontation is the only thing they understand. And after they've received an arse whoopin', they lay off.
@bluesteelapd The campaigns rarely work now either.
Telling an adult and having them confront the bully or parent, rarely makes the situation any better because the bully usually learns this behavior at home.
That's why I'm all for a butt kicking. And if the kidā€™s too small to do it alone, get a few of their friends and :ninjaspank:the little :poo:. Sometimes we just need to teach others manners- the hard way.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm not a violent person, at all. But I believe that bullies stop bullying as soon as you punch 'em in the face. Walking away never works. Confrontation is the only thing they understand. And after they've received an arse whoopin', they lay off.
Telling an adult and having them confront the bully or parent, rarely makes the situation any better because the bully usually learns this behavior at home.
That's why I'm all for a butt kicking. And if the kidā€™s too small to do it alone, get a few of their friends and :ninjaspank:the little :poo:. Sometimes we just need to teach others manners- the hard way.

I know what you mean... except you can't teach this to BJJ kids. :) My sons can really hurt somebody - including adults - if they put their minds to it. So first principle in martial arts - never throw the first punch if there's any possible way to avoid it.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] Wow! I got a kick outta your little smily face ninja! You go! My Mom always told me not to hit but my grandmother would tell me to kick their a$$es. LOL I did get in a fight once, and we both got punished with detention at school.

Edited to add:

What isa BJJ kid? And teach them the way of the JEDI

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

BRAVO..... I am the first girl after 4 boys in my family and my brothers were the worst with 'bullying/picking' on me and it carried over into the school yard.... I am so not about confrontation, but when pushed, LORD help you. The first time I did not ignore and walk away -- I kicked the kid in the shin, then pushed him down -- yeah, I got in trouble but he also never teased me again.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@Blueberrys Mom Wow! I got a kick outta your little smily face ninja! You go! My Mom always told me not to hit but my grandmother would tell me to kick their a$$es. LOL I did get in a fight once, and we both got punished with detention at school.

Edited to add:

What isa BJJ kid? And teach them the way of the JEDI

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu - Tap, Snap, or Nap. LOL.

Tried the Jedi way - they couldn't get their lightsabers to cut out the door so they just used it for halloween flashlights...

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
BRAVO..... I am the first girl after 4 boys in my family and my brothers were the worst with 'bullying/picking' on me and it carried over into the school yard.... I am so not about confrontation, but when pushed, LORD help you. The first time I did not ignore and walk away -- I kicked the kid in the shin, then pushed him down -- yeah, I got in trouble but he also never teased me again.

My kid has spiky hair (it's so straight that unless he wears it long, it sticks up, so he just gels it so it looks like it got combed at least)... anyway, these middle school girls wouldn't leave his hair alone - they are always touching it. He told them multiple times to quit and they never did. One day, my son was in a bad mood, some girl sneaked up behind him and scruffed his hair, so he grabbed the girl on the wrist and told her, "I'm going to let you go. But if you do that again, I'm going to break your arm."

Yes, it sounds tough and cool and effective... but, my son got lucky that the girl did not challenge him. Because if she would have, then he would have broke her arm. My son knows not to make threats unless he can follow through with it. And he would have been expelled. And it was a loooonnnggg road for us to get him into that school.

For a martial artist, it's really not a good thing to throw the first punch, regardless of how bad you got bullied. Martial Arts is designed to build self-confidence and self-awareness first and foremost. It gives you the tools to brush off a bully without having to get physical unless the bully gets physical first. Yes, the girls touched his hair which is an invasion of one's physical space... but, breaking their arm would be a very last resort and my kid was not at that point yet.

Last edited:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
@anatess, you are lucky that your son didn't get in trouble for making a threat. The gender gap with bullying has always been a problem. There was a little girl in my son's 1st grade class who used to like to knock him down, sit on him and kiss him, much to the amusement of her friends. He was humiliated, but the teachers used to let it happen without trying to stop it. She was a tough little tomboy who was bigger and stronger than he was at that age. One day she came to school with a box of Girl Scout cookies. On the playground, he got his revenge! He knocked her down and took some of her cookies. He was sent to the principal's office and wasn't allowed to go to recess for a week. I told the principal that if Kate had let go of the cookies she could have kept him from knocking her down. The teachers were upset that he knocked down a girl! Where were they when she was terrorizing him? I was pissed.

Last edited:
OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess, you are lucky that your son didn't get in trouble for making a threat. The gender gap with bullying has always been a problem. There was a little girl in my son's 1st grade class who used to like to knock him down, sit on him and kiss him, much to the amusement of her friends. He was humiliated, but the teachers used to let it happen without trying to stop it. She was a tough little tomboy who was bigger and stronger than he was at that age. One day she came to school with a box of Girl Scout cookies. On the playground, he got his revenge! He knocked her down and took some of her cookies. He was sent to the principal's office and wasn't allowed to go to recess for a week. I told the principal that if Kate had let go of the cookies she could have kept him from knocking her down. The teachers were upset that he knocked down a girl! Where were they when she was terrorizing him? I was pissed.

OMG this is sooooo true!!! My son with the spiky hair had an incident in the BOYS gym locker where the girls prevented a few boys from getting out... they would have had to brush by the girls to exit the locker room. The boys told the teacher and the teacher just brushed it off! Could you imagine if the boys did that in the GIRLS gym locker??? The parents would have a riot!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have two older sons (oldest 33, youngest 27) and my daughter who is 10 years old. While bringing all of them up my moto was hit and get hit. If someone hit one of them my children always knew to beat the crap out of the bully. I always taught them not to start anything but if someone wants to start something with any of them they were to finish it. With my boys, I went to the school a few times to retreive them for fighting but never once were they the ones that started it. All three have been raised to treat people with dignity and respect but somethings there are a few people out there that no matter how much you ignor them they don't get it. I am not an advice of violence but there are times when it is necessary in order to protect yourself.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online