I accidentally killed a baby bunny

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I am so upset over this. Momo *never* wakes me up in the middle of the night to go outside. She also has *never* stalked another animal. Mind you my boxer did, but not Momo.
Long story short I couldn't see it was so dark and I didn't take a flashlight with me like I usually do. I saw this small black mass come out of the grass where Momo was sniffing, and it stopped in front of the gate. Momo went on to chase another baby bunny and I went to put her on the leash to take her back inside. When I came back to the gate I didn't see the black mass on the ground so I opened the gate and as I did, it got squashed under the gate. I was so upset. I couldn't go back to sleep, was up crying in the early am and again this morning. I put him in a hole, praying that in the light he'd be gone, but he wasn't. I've buried him since. It was a total accident. My boxer was hit by a car after chasing a bunny, and died the next day, but I have never wished ill harm on them.

Anyway. Please say a prayer.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know how you feel.. I actually move dead critters out of the road if I can. I read once that ground squirrels mate for life and I've seen where one was hit in the road and the other just wouldn't leave them. It kills me! :(

You did the best you can...I suppose Rabbits are needed at the bridge too! Think of all the fun he will have tormenting the dogs there...with no worries of being caught! :)

:hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh I'm sorry to hear this. It was an accident so don't be too hard on yourself. :hug: I know it's hard to bear but you would never purposefully do any harm.

My mother in law was leaving for work one day and did not know there was a two year old child sitting behind her car playing. She ran her over backing out ( it was an apt complex)! Luckily the little girl suffered no major injuries, but it was very hard for my MIL to not feel at fault.

I could go on and on about where the heck the child's mother was (inside her apt not watching her daughter!!!!) but even knowing this it was so difficult for my mil to bear.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh that is so sad but it was an accident! Don't be hard on yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have a very soft heart too, used to be
a real hard *** but really, was protecting my heart. I have to watch myself
and can't bear most of the news that's shown, my heart breaks so easily
and I spiral down into depression.

You know that you'd never hurt a living creature and this was an accident.

GOD knows this too, you are His dearly beloved child and you please Him.

That is what matters.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How awful. And undoubtedly you'll replay it in your head over and over again. That's human nature. But try not to torture yourself!!! It was a freak accident!! You never meant to do it!! So sending you a huge big cyber (((HUG)))

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Aww I am so sorry this happened to you :nope: As others have said though don't be too hard on yourself as it was just an accident! :hug:

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Thanks for the support, ya'll. It means a lot. Luckily I had two presentations due at school today that helped me keep my mind off things. I'm also trying to look at the bright side (if there is one). Last summer I saved one from the lawn mower, thank God it lived. And possibly saved one from the clutches of Momo (hard to believe, I actually wasn't sure she was a dog until she chased that bunny last night).
Anyway, I'll think of him in heaven, being chased by my dear Gracie, with no repercussions.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I'm sorry I didn't mean to gloss over the story about the little girl and your MIL. That certainly would've been a worse scenario by far to deal with! I would've been *paranoid* with a capital P to back out of a space after that, even though it was not her fault.

Thanks for sharing that story. Helped me put things into perspective.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
:assurred: I am so sorry about the bunny, accidents happen and it was probably a kinder way to go than it could have been. Take care :heart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.