Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I may be a lesbian, but I go against all lesbian rules and guidelines in that I *hate* going to Home Depot and/or Lowe's.

Whoa! I'm a lesbian and I didn't even know it! I just loooove going to Lowe's!

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] LMFAO! Yep, that's the "hang-out" for the lesbian crowd, but not for me. Like I said, if I don't know exactly where it is and what I need I don't wanna go.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hee hee. I had a lizard living in my rockery (there's only one kind of true lizard that lives on this side of the mountains too) and I think Sushi the cat ran him and his family off. I came home from work one day and here's Sushi out there, playing with a tail that was still moving. *shudder* I have to assume the rest of him got away. Thank goodness. It seems kind of counter productive to garden organically and provide food, water and shelter for urban wildlife and then have Mr. Murder out there, camped out under the birdbath (a fav spot for him). He hasn't brought anything home in a long time now but it's not because he's not trying....

We have 3+ feet long slugs in our yard. Here's a pic of one of them:
indigo1.jpg

Her name is Indigo, a southern banded water snake - used to live under our bushes near the pond until we dug up the entire yard. She got upset, left, and never came back. I miss that girl. I guess she never found a boyfriend because we didn't see any of her kids running around the yard when we dug it up. All we saw were the boring looking black racers.

Last edited:
OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Um...well....um.... Lets pray I don't see any snakes in the yard, or they can have the yard and I'll stay inside. Good gracious.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Um...well....um.... Lets pray I don't see any snakes in the yard, or they can have the yard and I'll stay inside. Good gracious.

LOL! They don't hurt the plants or grass. Your annuals are safe with them! :D

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Its me that's afraid of them, ME I tell ya. I'd go squealing like a little girl if I saw one.

edited to add: yes, I am a girl, but it's a funny squeal

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
LOL! They don't hurt the plants or grass. Your annuals are safe with them! :D

OH I love snakes! Those are the kind of "slugs" I could deal with!

I just put in my full sun annual bed yesterday. Depending on how it goes, it will be either 1) a gorgeous photo to show you all in July or 2) $100 bucks worth of delicious slug salads. LOL

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
OH I love snakes! Those are the kind of "slugs" I could deal with!

I just put in my full sun annual bed yesterday. Depending on how it goes, it will be either 1) a gorgeous photo to show you all in July or 2) $100 bucks worth of delicious slug salads. LOL

I thought you didn't get sun in Washington. :D

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
They do say it rains more in Washington than it does in New Orleans.
And what in the world is a "sun annual bed"? [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] that picture cracked me up!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I thought you didn't get sun in Washington. :D
Occasionally we sure do. This week is blockbuster, sun-wise. I think there will be a EB Pool Party at my house this weekend! Bea pants in 70 degree weather but she stays active and cool in the baby pool!

They do say it rains more in Washington than it does in New Orleans.
And what in the world is a "sun annual bed"? Answer:

Annual (plants that must be planted each year - NOT perrenials) + sun (plants requiring at least 6 hours a day of sun) + bed (place where these plants are planted each year) = Sun annual bed.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Which brings me to yet another question. Seriously: Why do people plant "annual" flowers? Why in the world do you plant something that's gonna die and needs to be replanted the next year? I just don't get it.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
coffee grinds are also an excellent fertilizer for your lawn and garden. Once a month I go outside with a cheapo can of coffee and sprinkle it all over the place. Grass is so green I could use to to make dye for money :2thumbs:

I didn't know that either! You know what else works? A big ol bag of quality composted chicken manure! <=== my favorite!! Spread that around your flower beds and top dress your lawn with it? YUMMY RESULTS!

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
albeit great advise, I think I'll stick with the coffee grounds.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Which brings me to yet another question. Seriously: Why do people plant "annual" flowers? Why in the world do you plant something that's gonna die and needs to be replanted the next year? I just don't get it.

CLEARLY you aren't a gardener......! My answer to that would be why WOULDN'T you???!!!! I live for this crap. Seriously.

Members online

No members online now.