Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Alright now ya'll are talking a whole nother language... [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] "I'm propogating sedum all over" - do what now?
and [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] "Plugging or sprigging - this is an in-between option. Lower cost, lesser risk. The problem with plugging is the bumpy result due to erosion. This can be mitigated by sanding all throughout, but this would also make it harder for the plugs to spread." - huh?

que the twilight zone music and enter Rod Serling stage right....Houston I'm totally lost

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
you're funny [MENTION=563]bluesteelapd[/MENTION] every couple of years we rent a plugger, it had studs on a wheel that pull up plugs of dirt, then you go over the yard with your lawn seeder. water it in , the plugs should dissolve and wha-la, you should have a thicker lawn in about 6 weeks this is best done in the fall or early spring. we also fertilize using a 4 step system. I should really take pics or video of the lawn right now , it's very thick and dark green. we use a seed for hot sun areas. we also use a mulcher mower. the yard does stay cooler with a thick green lawn, no doubt. but then we must mow at least twice a week to keep it under control until late July. the dogs do infact love love love the lawn. and yellow spots don't show up until the summer heat sets in.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] What?! It's slug assassination time again already?!

Oh absolutely!!! And HOW!
We've had a couple of warm days here and the lack of rain drives them out of their cool, wet hiding places. Of course, they head right straight for my newly planted annuals and the tiny perennial shoots, breaking through the soil. Slugs have a thing for marigolds and lupin especially so I am forced to put down a few drops of "Deadline" near those plants. I have to, or I'd be out there sitting next to them with a flashlight, whacking them down with a garden spade. Who has time for THAT, right? Yesterday morning, I plucked TWELVE of them from the garden. All sizes too. A moment ago, I just came back in from slug recon. What I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality. I believe I said - out loud - "Oh! HELLO GRANDPA!" as a unceremoniously dropped this big fat 3-incher into my bucket. He was a great find this morning!

I'm propogating sedum all over. there will be lots of green year round when I'm done, because the one kind I'm doing is actually a hardy evergreen variety.

My daughter is a succulent fanatic and I've never been a fan -- until recently. A neighbor gave me some big rocks and some sedum hitchhiked over here on them. I'm becoming fond of them, making sure they have water and food out there, clinging to that big rock.

Yeah I got a bit of chuckle too reading this and picturing Vicaroo :clap2:
If you watch that video, you actually see that outfit in the beginning of the video - cigarette and all. LOL

A few days ago, I was moving pots around and underneath the pot that sits on the rockery was a Pacific Tree Frog, all tucked in having a snooze. There's a gap between the warm rocks and the bottom of the cool pot and it's the perfect "frog house". I quickly put another pot back on the rockery -- trying not to disturb his sleep and I actually jumped back when I saw some dirt flying out of the hole under there. Apparently, he was kicking the soil around so he could settle back in. Hee hee! He looks EXACTLY like this guy. I took this picture last year, about ten feet away from where I found him. Do you suppose they could actually be one and the same? That would be exciting to me.
Hey, I'm easily amused, ok?
a garden visitor July 2012.jpg

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
you're funny [MENTION=563]bluesteelapd[/MENTION] every couple of years we rent a plugger, it had studs on a wheel that pull up plugs of dirt, then you go over the yard with your lawn seeder. water it in , the plugs should dissolve and wha-la, you should have a thicker lawn in about 6 weeks this is best done in the fall or early spring. we also fertilize using a 4 step system. I should really take pics or video of the lawn right now , it's very thick and dark green. we use a seed for hot sun areas. we also use a mulcher mower. the yard does stay cooler with a thick green lawn, no doubt. but then we must mow at least twice a week to keep it under control until late July. the dogs do infact love love love the lawn. and yellow spots don't show up until the summer heat sets in.

Sherry's right on, [MENTION=563]bluesteelapd[/MENTION]. A mulcher mower makes all the difference if you're going to cultivate a lawn. Me thinks you're going to spend some quality time down at the ol' Home Depot with your credit card....LOL

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I may be a lesbian, but I go against all lesbian rules and guidelines in that I *hate* going to Home Depot and/or Lowe's. Please just poke my eyes out instead, seriously. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy fixing things around the house, but I hate to go shopping unless I know *exactly* what I'm going for and where it is, otherwise I don't wanna go. You ask for help and buy what they suggest only to come home and find out they were WAY wrong and after 15 trips for 1 project you're finally finished.

It sounds like this whole lawn thing is going to consume a lot of my time....and I"m not sure I'm all for that just yet. Hurmph.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It may be time consuming but therapeutic and rewarding when you get to sit back at dusk and toast to a job well done. Of course , you can pay someone just as well to do all the work :whew:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Have you ever tried putting down coffee grounds? I've heard that keeps slugs away but I've never tried it. We don't have slug problems here luckily.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh absolutely!!! And HOW!
We've had a couple of warm days here and the lack of rain drives them out of their cool, wet hiding places. Of course, they head right straight for my newly planted annuals and the tiny perennial shoots, breaking through the soil. Slugs have a thing for marigolds and lupin especially so I am forced to put down a few drops of "Deadline" near those plants. I have to, or I'd be out there sitting next to them with a flashlight, whacking them down with a garden spade. Who has time for THAT, right? Yesterday morning, I plucked TWELVE of them from the garden. All sizes too. A moment ago, I just came back in from slug recon. What I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality. I believe I said - out loud - "Oh! HELLO GRANDPA!" as a unceremoniously dropped this big fat 3-incher into my bucket. He was a great find this morning!

My daughter is a succulent fanatic and I've never been a fan -- until recently. A neighbor gave me some big rocks and some sedum hitchhiked over here on them. I'm becoming fond of them, making sure they have water and food out there, clinging to that big rock.

If you watch that video, you actually see that outfit in the beginning of the video - cigarette and all. LOL

A few days ago, I was moving pots around and underneath the pot that sits on the rockery was a Pacific Tree Frog, all tucked in having a snooze. There's a gap between the warm rocks and the bottom of the cool pot and it's the perfect "frog house". I quickly put another pot back on the rockery -- trying not to disturb his sleep and I actually jumped back when I saw some dirt flying out of the hole under there. Apparently, he was kicking the soil around so he could settle back in. Hee hee! He looks EXACTLY like this guy. I took this picture last year, about ten feet away from where I found him. Do you suppose they could actually be one and the same? That would be exciting to me.
Hey, I'm easily amused, ok?
View attachment 41319

Could be we used to have a lizard in our front yard for years he was there used to seeing him every day bt havent seen him now since not long after we got Ftse. I guess not everyone loves Ftse like me :rofl:
I did go back and have a look at the video again and I saw your pj's, slippers and fag in hand.:clap2:

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Could be we used to have a lizard in our front yard for years he was there used to seeing him every day bt havent seen him now since not long after we got Ftse. I guess not everyone loves Ftse like me :rofl:
I did go back and have a look at the video again and I saw your pj's, slippers and fag in hand.:clap2:

Hee hee. I had a lizard living in my rockery (there's only one kind of true lizard that lives on this side of the mountains too) and I think Sushi the cat ran him and his family off. I came home from work one day and here's Sushi out there, playing with a tail that was still moving. *shudder* I have to assume the rest of him got away. Thank goodness. It seems kind of counter productive to garden organically and provide food, water and shelter for urban wildlife and then have Mr. Murder out there, camped out under the birdbath (a fav spot for him). He hasn't brought anything home in a long time now but it's not because he's not trying....

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Have you ever tried putting down coffee grounds? I've heard that keeps slugs away but I've never tried it. We don't have slug problems here luckily.

I've also heard coffee grounds. Egg shells, beer traps and copper tape are also said to repel slugs.

My Asian neighbor Lisa, goes out in the morning with a pair of chopsticks and a pop bottle and plucks them out of the garden and drowns them in the bottle. I have a hard time killing them so I dump them into the garbage can. That practice has it's own set of dangers that being that since the slugs are alive, they try to get OUT of the garbage can. I flick em back in there. I suppose killing them straight away would be less torturous for them but I think of it like this: the garbage can is a giant slug bus and if they make the trip to carry on their efforts somewhere else - good for them.

So really, I'm not a slug assassin in as much as I am a slug relocation expert.

But the Deadline product that I use -- sparingly - it does the job, let me tell you. You only need a DROP. The slugs are attracted to it, they eat it and then explode, basically. The way I see it, that causality is not on me. If the slugs succumb to their gluttony and eat the Deadline - that was their choice, see?

I got it all worked out. LOL

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Hee hee. I had a lizard living in my rockery (there's only one kind of true lizard that lives on this side of the mountains too) and I think Sushi the cat ran him and his family off. I came home from work one day and here's Sushi out there, playing with a tail that was still moving. *shudder* I have to assume the rest of him got away. Thank goodness. It seems kind of counter productive to garden organically and provide food, water and shelter for urban wildlife and then have Mr. Murder out there, camped out under the birdbath (a fav spot for him). He hasn't brought anything home in a long time now but it's not because he's not trying....

We had a cat when we moved form Sydney to Qld and once we arrived here in Qld he turned feral each morning we would get up and at the door would be another carcus either a huge bird or a rabbit, it was awful and he was so timid in Sydney maybe he was paying us back for moving :D

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I've also heard coffee grounds. Egg shells, beer traps and copper tape are also said to repel slugs.

coffee grinds are also an excellent fertilizer for your lawn and garden. Once a month I go outside with a cheapo can of coffee and sprinkle it all over the place. Grass is so green I could use to to make dye for money :2thumbs:

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] ... this is why I need people like you in my life! I'm reading about coffee grounds thinking they have to be already brewed...and we have a Kuerig...so I gotta open all these stupid little cups to sprinkle on the ground? That's gonna take, like, Forever! I never even thought of just popping open a can of coffee. Head hung in shame. Gotta think more outside of the box, or can in this case.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
@Twice ... this is why I need people like you in my life! I'm reading about coffee grounds thinking they have to be already brewed...and we have a Kuerig...so I gotta open all these stupid little cups to sprinkle on the ground? That's gonna take, like, Forever! I never even thought of just popping open a can of coffee. Head hung in shame. Gotta think more outside of the box, or can in this case.

you know what's even better than that? You can get free grinds from Starbucks. They have a recycling program so they aren't allowed to just dump the grinds in the regular trash, if you ask they will give you BAGS of it for free!! The used ones make great mulch around your flower beds and trees - or mix some into the dirt around your vegetable garden. :yes:

I buy a big can of the store brand (or whatever is on sale cheapest) at the Shoprite and sprinkle new grinds on the grass once a month, but the used ones are even cheaper (FREE) and are just about the same.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Well Well. We are lucky enough to have a Starbucks the next town over. Next time we're there I'll have to look into this. After we get our front lawn in order. Thanks for the advise!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online