Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Sooooo....Vicaroo let's hear about your neighbors yard....and pics or is that too much to ask?

I can't complain as the neighbor across the street and next to us have immaculate lawns. Us....not so much. We are calling a landscaper this summer to come dig up our front yard and plant sod.
Anyone have experience and/or advise on sod vs grass seed?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
How in the world am I an inspiration for THIS, you silly silly person! LOL You have, however, happened on to a very serious topic here at EBN and that's GARDENING! If you've cruised some old threads, you've seen a few of the "yard tour" vids being made by the amazing gardening aficionados we have here.

My neighbor's yard? Is not worth pictures. It's beyond hideous. The good news, my other neighbor is suddenly now cleaning up her yard! So now the folks on THREE sides of me are at least making an effort. I would feel so crappy if I were the ONE YARD that looked like hell in the neighborhood, right?

I believe it was this video that inspired my title....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBElH_Zt7pk&feature=share&list=UUV3B4Gh3L1FiZVq8_QV0umg

Yes. I am a proud PBS Gardening Dweeb. Other gardening Dweebs here? Oh there are MANY....comon' ya'll FESS UP! I'm not going to put anyone on the spot here but let me tell you, we have some talented spades turning the earth here in EBN!

Edited to add: this morning will be my second official Slug Assassin Recon (now that I've got some annuals planted). I will advise on the death count later.

("Official" for this effort means that I am dressed in my Slug Assassin Recon Gear: bathrobe, slippers, cigarette dangling from my lips, bucket, garden gloves and flashlight.)

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] PLEASE start writing a blog or something... cause I ALWAYS get a chuckle from your posts!
@bluesteelapd - there is a garden club chat group here at EBN

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I enjoyed watching the video again. :) It's way too early to post anything much yet....Still ice on stuff this morning around here. :(

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=563]bluesteelapd[/MENTION] Our suggestion is forget the sod and the grass. Go grass free landscaping. Lots less trouble and maintenance (In my opinion). But I'd much rather spend time watering flowers than mowing grass. Put in a pretty ground cover for where you want some green. And lots of annual plantings for color. Of course watering is a must for annuals to thrive so if you can afford a nice irrigation system that makes it not so much fuss then you are even better off.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] . Make it easy on yourself!

Today's death toll: 10 - including two GIANT ones at least as big as my Bic lighter.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We did this about a year ago. We had our whole front yard dug up and laid new sod. First of all it is very $, and living here in Florida we have to water every single day costing even more $$, the thing that sux it is not all green and lush, it is a typical Florida yard, dry spots and a lot of upkeep.

P.S.
I just noticed, look at my avatar of Vegas, see the nice green grass, Then see the dry spots? That is what everybody's yard looks like here in hot sunny Florida. lol

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I love hearing about Vic's slug hunts :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have no advice since my yard is soooo not up to my wants either. My cousin planted sod for my aunt some years back and her yard is the most beautiful ever. The grass is just amazing! Will ask what kind it was...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
("Official" for this effort means that I am dressed in my Slug Assassin Recon Gear: bathrobe, slippers, cigarette dangling from my lips, bucket, garden gloves and flashlight.)

I love this part

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
We did this about a year ago. We had our whole front yard dug up and laid new sod. First of all it is very $, and living here in Florida we have to water every single day costing even more $$, the thing that sux it is not all green and lush, it is a typical Florida yard, dry spots and a lot of upkeep.

P.S.
I just noticed, look at my avatar of Vegas, see the nice green grass, Then see the dry spots? That is what everybody's yard looks like here in hot sunny Florida. lol

you could think about some type of rock/cactus type theme with a small water fountain in the design. that way you wouldn't have to water at all. sedum and succulents are carefree

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My cousin said hers was just Home Depot sod. He said the best for kids and pets is really marathon 1 from thompsons building supply but the Home Depot or lowes brand is really good also. His wife just sent me a pic of his backyard grass... I love it! Will cost a lot for us to replace ours but maybe next year we can, hopefully. He fertilizes every season too, something we haven't been doing. Oopsie...
image.jpg

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
There are a bazillion reasons why folks are choosing alternatives to sod/lawn -- but it's a hard won argument. People like lawns. Up North here, of Seattle, where live, there are expansive SOD FARMS growing grass as far as the eye can see. Clearly folks are choosing a lawn over the alternatives. The only reason the dog meadow isn't turned into flower beds and another patio is I think they should have a place where they can just hang out outside. Fact is, they aren't out there all THAT much. Summer here is short and if it's raining, they're both sitting on the porch anyway. To top it off, Bo is allergic to grass yet his favorite thing in the world lately, it seems, is to graze like a cow whenever we go. I can almost see the spots rising on this tummy after an afternoon spent at the grassy park! Bea and Bo both love to sun themselves in the soft grass -- how can I deny them this pleasure? I can't. So grass it is. And clover. LOL

Maybe you can choose LESS lawn? Bruce and Lari's yard is a testimony to why a lawn-less yard is so awesome. Maintaining extensive gardens isn't for everyone either but there are "trouble free" ways of having an appealing landscape without all the fuss of an English Garden. If I weren't so green thumbed myself, I would hire a landscape designer to help. Choosing the RIGHT plants/shrubs from the start, putting down adequate mulch (no weeding required) is a big step toward a trouble free landscape!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i love grass im sorry but i do. my yard is well hm. i am going to make an effort this year to get my 2 places for flowers done. will see how it goes. my attemps arnt very good thus far. lol i should get some tips from [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]. seems shes poplular round here for her garden lol :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online