Thread: Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

@Vicaroo1000 Have you ever tried putting down coffee grounds? I've heard that keeps slugs away but I've never tried it. We don't have slug problems here luckily.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Oh absolutely!!! And HOW!
    We've had a couple of warm days here and the lack of rain drives them out of their cool, wet hiding places. Of course, they head right straight for my newly planted annuals and the tiny perennial shoots, breaking through the soil. Slugs have a thing for marigolds and lupin especially so I am forced to put down a few drops of "Deadline" near those plants. I have to, or I'd be out there sitting next to them with a flashlight, whacking them down with a garden spade. Who has time for THAT, right? Yesterday morning, I plucked TWELVE of them from the garden. All sizes too. A moment ago, I just came back in from slug recon. What I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality. I believe I said - out loud - "Oh! HELLO GRANDPA!" as a unceremoniously dropped this big fat 3-incher into my bucket. He was a great find this morning!

My daughter is a succulent fanatic and I've never been a fan -- until recently. A neighbor gave me some big rocks and some sedum hitchhiked over here on them. I'm becoming fond of them, making sure they have water and food out there, clinging to that big rock.

If you watch that video, you actually see that outfit in the beginning of the video - cigarette and all. LOL

A few days ago, I was moving pots around and underneath the pot that sits on the rockery was a Pacific Tree Frog, all tucked in having a snooze. There's a gap between the warm rocks and the bottom of the cool pot and it's the perfect "frog house". I quickly put another pot back on the rockery -- trying not to disturb his sleep and I actually jumped back when I saw some dirt flying out of the hole under there. Apparently, he was kicking the soil around so he could settle back in. Hee hee! He looks EXACTLY like this guy. I took this picture last year, about ten feet away from where I found him. Do you suppose they could actually be one and the same? That would be exciting to me.
    Hey, I'm easily amused, ok?
    Attachment 41319
    Could be we used to have a lizard in our front yard for years he was there used to seeing him every day bt havent seen him now since not long after we got Ftse. I guess not everyone loves Ftse like me
    I did go back and have a look at the video again and I saw your pj's, slippers and fag in hand.
    Last edited by Ftse 100; 04-27-2013 at 07:30 PM.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    Could be we used to have a lizard in our front yard for years he was there used to seeing him every day bt havent seen him now since not long after we got Ftse. I guess not everyone loves Ftse like me
    I did go back and have a look at the video again and I saw your pj's, slippers and fag in hand.
    Hee hee. I had a lizard living in my rockery (there's only one kind of true lizard that lives on this side of the mountains too) and I think Sushi the cat ran him and his family off. I came home from work one day and here's Sushi out there, playing with a tail that was still moving. *shudder* I have to assume the rest of him got away. Thank goodness. It seems kind of counter productive to garden organically and provide food, water and shelter for urban wildlife and then have Mr. Murder out there, camped out under the birdbath (a fav spot for him). He hasn't brought anything home in a long time now but it's not because he's not trying....

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAndi View Post
    @Vicaroo1000 Have you ever tried putting down coffee grounds? I've heard that keeps slugs away but I've never tried it. We don't have slug problems here luckily.
    I've also heard coffee grounds. Egg shells, beer traps and copper tape are also said to repel slugs.

My Asian neighbor Lisa, goes out in the morning with a pair of chopsticks and a pop bottle and plucks them out of the garden and drowns them in the bottle. I have a hard time killing them so I dump them into the garbage can. That practice has it's own set of dangers that being that since the slugs are alive, they try to get OUT of the garbage can. I flick em back in there. I suppose killing them straight away would be less torturous for them but I think of it like this: the garbage can is a giant slug bus and if they make the trip to carry on their efforts somewhere else - good for them.

So really, I'm not a slug assassin in as much as I am a slug relocation expert.

But the Deadline product that I use -- sparingly - it does the job, let me tell you. You only need a DROP. The slugs are attracted to it, they eat it and then explode, basically. The way I see it, that causality is not on me. If the slugs succumb to their gluttony and eat the Deadline - that was their choice, see?

I got it all worked out. LOL

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hee hee. I had a lizard living in my rockery (there's only one kind of true lizard that lives on this side of the mountains too) and I think Sushi the cat ran him and his family off. I came home from work one day and here's Sushi out there, playing with a tail that was still moving. *shudder* I have to assume the rest of him got away. Thank goodness. It seems kind of counter productive to garden organically and provide food, water and shelter for urban wildlife and then have Mr. Murder out there, camped out under the birdbath (a fav spot for him). He hasn't brought anything home in a long time now but it's not because he's not trying....
    We had a cat when we moved form Sydney to Qld and once we arrived here in Qld he turned feral each morning we would get up and at the door would be another carcus either a huge bird or a rabbit, it was awful and he was so timid in Sydney maybe he was paying us back for moving

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I've also heard coffee grounds. Egg shells, beer traps and copper tape are also said to repel slugs.

coffee grinds are also an excellent fertilizer for your lawn and garden. Once a month I go outside with a cheapo can of coffee and sprinkle it all over the place. Grass is so green I could use to to make dye for money

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@Twice ... this is why I need people like you in my life! I'm reading about coffee grounds thinking they have to be already brewed...and we have a Kuerig...so I gotta open all these stupid little cups to sprinkle on the ground? That's gonna take, like, Forever! I never even thought of just popping open a can of coffee. Head hung in shame. Gotta think more outside of the box, or can in this case.
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    @Twice ... this is why I need people like you in my life! I'm reading about coffee grounds thinking they have to be already brewed...and we have a Kuerig...so I gotta open all these stupid little cups to sprinkle on the ground? That's gonna take, like, Forever! I never even thought of just popping open a can of coffee. Head hung in shame. Gotta think more outside of the box, or can in this case.

you know what's even better than that? You can get free grinds from Starbucks. They have a recycling program so they aren't allowed to just dump the grinds in the regular trash, if you ask they will give you BAGS of it for free!! The used ones make great mulch around your flower beds and trees - or mix some into the dirt around your vegetable garden.

I buy a big can of the store brand (or whatever is on sale cheapest) at the Shoprite and sprinkle new grinds on the grass once a month, but the used ones are even cheaper (FREE) and are just about the same.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Well Well. We are lucky enough to have a Starbucks the next town over. Next time we're there I'll have to look into this. After we get our front lawn in order. Thanks for the advise!
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    I may be a lesbian, but I go against all lesbian rules and guidelines in that I *hate* going to Home Depot and/or Lowe's.
    Whoa! I'm a lesbian and I didn't even know it! I just loooove going to Lowe's!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@anatess LMFAO! Yep, that's the "hang-out" for the lesbian crowd, but not for me. Like I said, if I don't know exactly where it is and what I need I don't wanna go.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

We have 3+ feet long slugs in our yard. Here's a pic of one of them:

Her name is Indigo, a southern banded water snake - used to live under our bushes near the pond until we dug up the entire yard. She got upset, left, and never came back. I miss that girl. I guess she never found a boyfriend because we didn't see any of her kids running around the yard when we dug it up. All we saw were the boring looking black racers.
    Last edited by anatess; 04-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads