Thread: Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vicaroo once again an inspiration for a thread

@anatess Wow-that really was some detailed information. You really did take notes when they put your system in. Thanks for the outline of how it all works, it was very helpful.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

And on the topic of seed versus sod... it's basically the choice between 1.) low cost, long wait, high risk, 2.) high cost, short wait, low risk. The risk - plants are vulnerable during germination until the roots take a strong hold. They are susceptible to non-ideal temperatures and water availability. Weeds may overtake them before they are ready to fight for resources and trump the weed. Sod is already germinated so all they have to do is root to the prepared soil.

Now, there are certain species of grass that you can't start from seed so those you have to either sod or plug.

Plugging or sprigging - this is an in-between option. Lower cost, lesser risk. The problem with plugging is the bumpy result due to erosion. This can be mitigated by sanding all throughout, but this would also make it harder for the plugs to spread.

We used zoysia grass on our yard. We had 3 options - hydroseeding (quite awesome process), sprigging, or sodding. We opted to sod because of the dogs. We did not want to take away the yard from the dogs for months on end while the seed germinates or the plugs take root. Yes, it cost us an arm and a leg.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    you could think about some type of rock/cactus type theme with a small water fountain in the design. that way you wouldn't have to water at all. sedum and succulents are carefree
    I'm propogating sedum all over. there will be lots of green year round when I'm done, because the one kind I'm doing is actually a hardy evergreen variety.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    There are a bazillion reasons why folks are choosing alternatives to sod/lawn -- but it's a hard won argument. People like lawns. Up North here, of Seattle, where live, there are expansive SOD FARMS growing grass as far as the eye can see. Clearly folks are choosing a lawn over the alternatives. The only reason the dog meadow isn't turned into flower beds and another patio is I think they should have a place where they can just hang out outside. Fact is, they aren't out there all THAT much. Summer here is short and if it's raining, they're both sitting on the porch anyway. To top it off, Bo is allergic to grass yet his favorite thing in the world lately, it seems, is to graze like a cow whenever we go. I can almost see the spots rising on this tummy after an afternoon spent at the grassy park! Bea and Bo both love to sun themselves in the soft grass -- how can I deny them this pleasure? I can't. So grass it is. And clover. LOL

Maybe you can choose LESS lawn? Bruce and Lari's yard is a testimony to why a lawn-less yard is so awesome. Maintaining extensive gardens isn't for everyone either but there are "trouble free" ways of having an appealing landscape without all the fuss of an English Garden. If I weren't so green thumbed myself, I would hire a landscape designer to help. Choosing the RIGHT plants/shrubs from the start, putting down adequate mulch (no weeding required) is a big step toward a trouble free landscape!
    For Bea and Bo you could install a small patch of artificial turf for their "lawn". have a sprinkler handy for them to play in on the days its hot. No mud to contend with then too. Then you could plant more pretty flowers all around it.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

("Official" for this effort means that I am dressed in my Slug Assassin Recon Gear: bathrobe, slippers, cigarette dangling from my lips, bucket, garden gloves and flashlight.)

I love this part
    Yeah I got a bit of chuckle too reading this and picturing Vicaroo

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have to admit I dont have a green thumb and our garden is not a very pretty one at all, but I have promised myself once I have finished the painting of the house I am going to rip the garden out and start again from scratch and put easy plants in that dont need much taking care of.

Your garden is lovely @Vicaroo1000

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Alright now ya'll are talking a whole nother language... @LariP "I'm propogating sedum all over" - do what now?
    and @anatess "Plugging or sprigging - this is an in-between option. Lower cost, lesser risk. The problem with plugging is the bumpy result due to erosion. This can be mitigated by sanding all throughout, but this would also make it harder for the plugs to spread." - huh?

que the twilight zone music and enter Rod Serling stage right....Houston I'm totally lost

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

you're funny @bluesteelapd every couple of years we rent a plugger, it had studs on a wheel that pull up plugs of dirt, then you go over the yard with your lawn seeder. water it in , the plugs should dissolve and wha-la, you should have a thicker lawn in about 6 weeks this is best done in the fall or early spring. we also fertilize using a 4 step system. I should really take pics or video of the lawn right now , it's very thick and dark green. we use a seed for hot sun areas. we also use a mulcher mower. the yard does stay cooler with a thick green lawn, no doubt. but then we must mow at least twice a week to keep it under control until late July. the dogs do infact love love love the lawn. and yellow spots don't show up until the summer heat sets in.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAndi View Post
    @Vicaroo1000 What?! It's slug assassination time again already?!
    Oh absolutely!!! And HOW!
    We've had a couple of warm days here and the lack of rain drives them out of their cool, wet hiding places. Of course, they head right straight for my newly planted annuals and the tiny perennial shoots, breaking through the soil. Slugs have a thing for marigolds and lupin especially so I am forced to put down a few drops of "Deadline" near those plants. I have to, or I'd be out there sitting next to them with a flashlight, whacking them down with a garden spade. Who has time for THAT, right? Yesterday morning, I plucked TWELVE of them from the garden. All sizes too. A moment ago, I just came back in from slug recon. What I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality. I believe I said - out loud - "Oh! HELLO GRANDPA!" as a unceremoniously dropped this big fat 3-incher into my bucket. He was a great find this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    I'm propogating sedum all over. there will be lots of green year round when I'm done, because the one kind I'm doing is actually a hardy evergreen variety.
    My daughter is a succulent fanatic and I've never been a fan -- until recently. A neighbor gave me some big rocks and some sedum hitchhiked over here on them. I'm becoming fond of them, making sure they have water and food out there, clinging to that big rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    Yeah I got a bit of chuckle too reading this and picturing Vicaroo
    If you watch that video, you actually see that outfit in the beginning of the video - cigarette and all. LOL

A few days ago, I was moving pots around and underneath the pot that sits on the rockery was a Pacific Tree Frog, all tucked in having a snooze. There's a gap between the warm rocks and the bottom of the cool pot and it's the perfect "frog house". I quickly put another pot back on the rockery -- trying not to disturb his sleep and I actually jumped back when I saw some dirt flying out of the hole under there. Apparently, he was kicking the soil around so he could settle back in. Hee hee! He looks EXACTLY like this guy. I took this picture last year, about ten feet away from where I found him. Do you suppose they could actually be one and the same? That would be exciting to me.
    Hey, I'm easily amused, ok?
    -garden-visitor-july-2012-jpg

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

you're funny @bluesteelapd every couple of years we rent a plugger, it had studs on a wheel that pull up plugs of dirt, then you go over the yard with your lawn seeder. water it in , the plugs should dissolve and wha-la, you should have a thicker lawn in about 6 weeks this is best done in the fall or early spring. we also fertilize using a 4 step system. I should really take pics or video of the lawn right now , it's very thick and dark green. we use a seed for hot sun areas. we also use a mulcher mower. the yard does stay cooler with a thick green lawn, no doubt. but then we must mow at least twice a week to keep it under control until late July. the dogs do infact love love love the lawn. and yellow spots don't show up until the summer heat sets in.
    Sherry's right on, @bluesteelapd. A mulcher mower makes all the difference if you're going to cultivate a lawn. Me thinks you're going to spend some quality time down at the ol' Home Depot with your credit card....LOL

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

I may be a lesbian, but I go against all lesbian rules and guidelines in that I *hate* going to Home Depot and/or Lowe's. Please just poke my eyes out instead, seriously. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy fixing things around the house, but I hate to go shopping unless I know *exactly* what I'm going for and where it is, otherwise I don't wanna go. You ask for help and buy what they suggest only to come home and find out they were WAY wrong and after 15 trips for 1 project you're finally finished.

It sounds like this whole lawn thing is going to consume a lot of my time....and I"m not sure I'm all for that just yet. Hurmph.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

It may be time consuming but therapeutic and rewarding when you get to sit back at dusk and toast to a job well done. Of course , you can pay someone just as well to do all the work
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads