Poll: Where would you prefer to vacation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beach or mountains?

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Beach or mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    It's beach for me, too. This winter has dragged on far too long! We've had very few sunny days. Fortunately we're only about 5 miles from a beautiful Lake Michigan beach. We're headed to Estes Park, with a side trip to the Denver airport to pick up my daughter in June. I guess I'm lucky that I'll have the best of both worlds this summer! I'm just bummed that we can't take Mabel with us! I'll be worrying the whole time.
    Estes Park is beautiful!!!! On the ride up from Denver you will pass a winery on the left after Boulder that is a trout farm too and you can feed the fish it's a great pit stop. Are you staying at the Stanley while you are there? I guess you can see that I prefer the lakes and mountains :-)

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    It's beach for me, too. This winter has dragged on far too long! We've had very few sunny days. Fortunately we're only about 5 miles from a beautiful Lake Michigan beach. We're headed to Estes Park, with a side trip to the Denver airport to pick up my daughter in June. I guess I'm lucky that I'll have the best of both worlds this summer! I'm just bummed that we can't take Mabel with us! I'll be worrying the whole time.

Estes is beautiful.... make sure you go see the Stanley Hotel (the Shinning was filed there) @JeannieCO
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We are actually staying at the YMCA of the Rockies in the lodge. But we are planning a trip to the Stanley.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RazrRila99 View Post
    Beach, everyday, twice on Sundays! Unless its a road trip then Ill stop in Eastern Tennessee and spend a day or two in the Smokys.
    We did this 2 years ago... spent a week in Townsend, Tennesse at the foot of the Smokeys for Christmas vacation. Big mistake. The kids were miserable because the river was closed. They liked hiking... we hiked straight up a mountain just to see a hole in a big rock but the next time, we went to the beach and the kids were a lot happier. You would think I'd like the mountains more than the beach since I live on the beach year-round. Nah.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Loupotamus
    Likes (Received)

I grew up in Wyoming so I prefer the mountains, and I hate swimsuits
    Check out my blog about my adventures to get a children's book about my bulldog published: www.SquareDogRoundWorld.com! You can see pictures of Lou there too!

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    We did this 2 years ago... spent a week in Townsend, Tennesse at the foot of the Smokeys for Christmas vacation. Big mistake. The kids were miserable because the river was closed. They liked hiking... we hiked straight up a mountain just to see a hole in a big rock but the next time, we went to the beach and the kids were a lot happier. You would think I'd like the mountains more than the beach since I live on the beach year-round. Nah.
    I'm surprised to hear this! Although I may be partial because my dad grew up in Maryville, TN so our vacations were always to the Smoky mountains and now as an adult where am I planning my vacations? Back to the Smokys mountains! We rent a cabin in Wears Valley, TN and I love the combination of peacefulness that you find at the cabin and hiking and then the tourism of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Knoxville is a short trip away for the college atmosphere and Douglass lake is not that far either. If I show up missing sometime you can assume that I am in the Smoky Mountains, in a hottub, with a drink, watching either the fog or rain roll in.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tiffykay06 View Post
    I'm surprised to hear this! Although I may be partial because my dad grew up in Maryville, TN so our vacations were always to the Smoky mountains and now as an adult where am I planning my vacations? Back to the Smokys mountains! We rent a cabin in Wears Valley, TN and I love the combination of peacefulness that you find at the cabin and hiking and then the tourism of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Knoxville is a short trip away for the college atmosphere and Douglass lake is not that far either. If I show up missing sometime you can assume that I am in the Smoky Mountains, in a hottub, with a drink, watching either the fog or rain roll in.
    It's the weather. We went in Christmas-time... It wasn't snowing but it was in the 30's. All day long. You can literally hear the kids groan when they have to put on their jackets and gloves and hats and boots. We're Floridians - winter means putting on a hoodie with your flipflops. It was quite a crazy vacation - we saw 2 black bears standing by the road! In the winter! And when we start walking, the kids won't stop... they just kept on and on and on up the mountain down the mountain... they say if they stop they get cold. And so, I had jelly legs by day 3. We hiked 5 miles up and down the mountain just to see a small waterfall... 3 miles to see a small very old log cabin... another couple of miles up and down another mountain to eat at the restaurant...

The best part was the Comedy Barn place in Gatlinburg. We brought little kids to it and it was hilarious as all get out and appropriate for kids!
    Last edited by anatess; 04-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiffykay06 View Post
    My late in laws lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. I love that part of the country.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I voted Beach ... lying on the beach and listening to the waves crashing in is like a lullaby to me!!

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    It's the weather. We went in Christmas-time... It wasn't snowing but it was in the 30's. All day long. You can literally hear the kids groan when they have to put on their jackets and gloves and hats and boots. We're Floridians - winter means putting on a hoodie with your flipflops. It was quite a crazy vacation - we saw 2 black bears standing by the road! In the winter! And when we start walking, the kids won't stop... they just kept on and on and on up the mountain down the mountain... they say if they stop they get cold. And so, I had jelly legs by day 3. We hiked 5 miles up and down the mountain just to see a small waterfall... 3 miles to see a small very old log cabin... another couple of miles up and down another mountain to eat at the restaurant...

The best part was the Comedy Barn place in Gatlinburg. We brought little kids to it and it was hilarious as all get out and appropriate for kids!

That makes much more sense now! We are originally from Iowa so the weather there was great for us even when we visited over Christmas and got snowed in at our cabin on the side of the mountain. I have since moved to Oklahoma which has better weather than Iowa but I cannot imagine living in Florida and dressing in a sweatshirt and flip flops for winter. That would be crazy!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I love both but my heart belongs to the mountains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads