Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Asthma, or allergy and the like doesn't matter. Controlled breathing doesn't cause asthma or anything like that. When you're having an asthma attack, you naturally go into this controlled breathing mode especially when you use an inhaler. So, having a panic attack is just like getting asthma - you bring all your focus and energies into controlling that breathing.

Panic attack - or, I should go back to what I'm an expert at, rage - is the body's inability to gain control due to a chemical imbalance that causes an extreme physiological reaction to normal, or just slightly abnormal stimuli. To regain control, we start with something that is relatively easy to control - breathing. Breathing also has the added benefit of circulating oxygenated blood which aids in speeding up the body's natural inclination to regain balance. Being able to control breathing (relatively easier than trying to control the rage itself) gives the brain the opportunity to get back into the driver seat.

Having your boyfriend give you a center to regain balance is great. But, this can become a crutch. This will make it so that you will become helpless if your boyfriend is out of reach.

@anatess is giving you great information, boyfriend or someone is not always going to be
there, YOU must learn the triggers and WHAT works to help you regain control, as many
have said already, proper breathing is very helpful, yoga, meditation, focusing on specific
objects or subjects, visualization...many things.

I had panic attacks, anxiety & dxed w/PTSD so I know how horrible it is for you.

Will lift you in prayer for complete healing of these episodes, GOD be with you & for you!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys =)
I was just saying that its hard for me to breath through my nose. It feels like I'm not getting enough air or something. My boyfriend isn't always their for them, but he does know about them, and will help me focus. He's actually the one that noticed that my panic attacks are brought on by stress. When I first started getting them I had just had that surgery, and my family has a very big history of cancer, mostly breast cancer, so that was stressful, my son was living with my mom to finish out the school year in his old school, I was going to school myself full time, plus working 30 hours during the weekend. So it was a bad time for me. I learned to focus on a mental imagine, and would imagine I was in the woods, and it would help. But yesterday my mind just wouldn't focus, it wasn't as bad as the ones I've had in the past, but it was enough lol

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
That is a huge amount of worry stress and responsibility for one person. I know about going to your special place of stillness, and also that sometimes when you need it most you just can't seem to grasp it because everything just crashes at once. Please take extra good care of yourself now and don't judge yourself harshly for being vulnerable and human. Hugs.

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
It's hard not to judge myself ya know? I always feel as though I should be doing more, or better lol
But I guess it's what keeps me pushing lol

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I used to carry a worry stone in my pocket that was about the size of a 50-cent piece. It said "believe" on one side. I had worried and rubbed it so much that the word was just a little faint impression. If it makes you feel any better, I hear about these panic attacks from students all the time. Learn to focus on and slow your breathing. The yoga suggestion is excellent. I used to have horrible stomach issues when I had to talk in front of people. I tried imagining them naked. :ashamed: That didn't work--my imagination wasn't that good. I was my own worst enemy. What I finally told myself (and really believed) that got me through it, was that no matter what I say or do in front of my audience, in the long run the only one who will remember where I screw up is me. There is nothing I can do in front of them that is the best they've ever seen--or the worst. Once I truly believed that, I relaxed and found that I enjoyed it. Now I do it for a living!!! Try to make the choice to have fun, take a deep breath, relax, and above all, don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. You are bright, beautiful, and articulate. They will love you! :havemyheart:

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I usually wear a ring, so I can twist it and play with it, or my necklace. I noticed I play with them when I'm nervous. I also have this bad habbit of picking my lip. It's horrible. I hate it, but usually don't even notice I'm doing it until I start bleeding.
I gave my presentation yesterday, I was shaking so hard I know people could tell lol But my teacher gave my group 100%, and that was our finals lol So I'm glad about that, but mostly glad it's over. Not the class, but the presentation lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I find if I'm stressing that I do the deep breathing but on the outward breath from the mouth I make a sound such as ohm or whatever the whole time I am slowly breathing out. By the time I do this 5 or 6 times I am usually much calmer. Can be as loud or soft as your situation allows. Hope things calm down for you.

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I usually wear a ring, so I can twist it and play with it, or my necklace. I noticed I play with them when I'm nervous. I also have this bad habbit of picking my lip. It's horrible. I hate it, but usually don't even notice I'm doing it until I start bleeding.
I gave my presentation yesterday, I was shaking so hard I know people could tell lol But my teacher gave my group 100%, and that was our finals lol So I'm glad about that, but mostly glad it's over. Not the class, but the presentation lol

Congrats on the 100%!!! :whew:I knew you could do it!!! :clap2:

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys. I haven't really had one since. I did get a weird feeling in my head today. Like something crawling on my brain is the best way to describe it before my final criminal justice exam lol Usualy a sign of panic attack for me, but nothing happend beyond that lol

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
So glad you made it through! Don't let your brain play games with you! You're smart! After all, you have a bulldog in your corner--and all of us! :droolers:

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks.
Yeah, Ella is a life saver sometimes lol Already a vicious guard dog lol She will bark when she hears the guy next doors, door lol Usually quiets down when I tell her "Ok, thank you, I know" One night I was watching Silence of the lambs, and Ella was sleeping next to me. Well it got to the part where the girl in the hole starts screaming. Ella woke up and was instantly alert. Crawled half over my stomach, and I told her it was ok. So she fell back to sleep. But every time she heard a noise she was alert again. This makes me feel safer since I have had guys try to get in my apartment before.
I love my big bully baby lol And I am so glad I found this place, and met all of you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.