Panic atack on campus? Oh sure, why not

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Any one else get panic/anxiety attacks? I havent had one in a while, guess my body thought I was due for one.
I am sitting in the hall of my campus, trying to hide it. I cant go to my last class. I can't get into the car since my boyfriend has the keys, so I'm sitting outside of his classroom, trying to take my mind off of everything, all the people. Shaking, trying not to cry.
I have my ipod in and up as loud as possible. Any other ideas?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Yes; I do have panic attacks but not as many as in my past (with any kind of luck they will stay in my past). I had some rather harsh things happen to me and caused me to have panic attacks and every once in a while I have them now. I stay out of crowds and shop during low volume times. I get plenty of sleep, keep stress to a minimum, and watch my diet because I found when I drank drinks with caffine in them I had more of an on set of panic. I can usually feel them coming on (fright or flight feeling) and took some meditation classes to help keep my breathing under control when they happen. Yoga is great for breathing exercises; I would recommend looking into some type of therapy that can help you with some techniques so you don't feel so out of control when an attack occurs. I even keep music on my iphone that is very calming and sedate for those just in case moments if I am somewhere and feel one coming on. Not sure I was any help, but if it is any consolation, as I have gotten older they have lessen to a large degree. There was a point where I had three or four a week but now I have three or four a year. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I haven't had one but I would go down the humour route. Imagine there all naked ?

Keep your up ! Hang in there and you ll get through it.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=8156]PsychoPixie[/MENTION] I'm sorry, I can't be of any help but I sure hope you feel better soon. Very sorry!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks. Once my boyfriend came out and I was able to get into the car I was better. I have social anxiety, and found out my English final is we have to get into groups then get up in front of the whole class and do a presentation. Set me off I guess lol

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I was seeing a counselor last semester as they were horrible. I got my first one a week after having a tumor removed from my breast (make sure you check no matter how young you are) and thought it was something to do with that. Nope, panic attack brought on by stress lol Since then I get them when ever I'm stressed and around a bunch of people.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Panic attacks can be very scary and debilitating. Sorry you are going thru this. I've been thru panic and anxiety attacks several years ago, and found that focusing on my breathing has helped me to calm down. I took up meditation for awhile, and also did yoga which helped too. Good luck and I hope your panic attacks are very, very few and far between.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I too in the past and I never know have suffered panic attacks they are debilitating, and people think your crazy, a few years ago I think I posted this one way to calm myself down....I think of this site, think of the bully parents and name their bully's. I know it sounds weird, but it really worked for me. Like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]....Yuna, Tidus, Molly, Mandy, Jesse....OMG, she has gotten so many I am forgetting some Lol! [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Vegas and Baby O etc.... I know weird way but this has worked for me in panic attacks and anxiety. I feel for you!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't get panic attacks but I do get rage management issues. They're different but controlling panic or rage have similarities. These are things that help with my rage issues:

1.) Exercise (always works, regardless of how strong the rage is going). When I get in this mode, I go for a run/jog/walk. One time, I was 8 months pregnant and in the car with my husband when I went psycho, I got out of the car and walked to the next town. I felt so great after walking a mile that I didn't stop walking until I hit the next town - 10 miles later.

2.) Controlled Breathing (sometimes doesn't work if my rage is too much - I end up hyperventilating). I would breathe in, breathe out very deeply. I would look up to the sky/ceiling while doing this. I put all my brain power to controlling the breathing. When I'm alone, I would sing at the top of my lungs (requires controlled breathing).

Dunno if this is going to help.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
These are great suggestions. I have had anxiety and social anxiety and depression all my adult life. I manage through exercise and antidepressants. But this is a preventative. If I am having an attack, which as I get older happens less, I concentrate on my breathing. I go somewhere quiet and breath in very deeply through my nose all the way down to my tummy and when it is full of air, I exhale in a controlled way through my mouth until every last bit of air in my tummy and lungs has been expelled out of my mouth. I do this about 5-10 times focusing on making my tummy distend with air and then compress. Babies and animals belly breathe. We tend to be shallow breathers as adults. It is something you might want to experiment with. If I feel any anxiety starting to build I will do this. Also it seems when I leave the gym my stress levels are much lower. I am a professor and we have student accommodations for anxiety of all kinds the the University. If you haven't already you might want to investigate this. I can accommodate my students in terms of exam anxiety and there are often solutions to help you not have to suffer. For example doing a paper rather than an exam or extending the time to write an exam. Even doing an alternate individual test while other students work in groups. One thing is true. Petting your Bully causes you to secrete oxytocin which makes us feel very good. I just read ( in The Genius of Dogs) that the dog's oxytocin levels go up too. I know how horrible and very real what you are going through is and my heart goes out to you.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
[MENTION=8156]PsychoPixie[/MENTION] I hope it helps to know that you are not alone in your panic attacks. I had them all the way through college. Learning to breath is the best technique and associate it with a song on your IPod. That way you can sing it in your head if you feel an attack coming on and you cant get to your IPod or you can use your IPod.

The way I learned to survive during my senior year of college that I wish I would had figured out as a freshman was to be honest. Honest with the people that were in the groups I had to work in. I learned that the people in the group did not want their grade effected by my poor performance as much as I did not want to ruin it for them. I would tell maybe one person, someone I felt ok about, how poor I was at public speaking and how good I was at research/writing/graphics whatever was needed that I could do in private. Somehow having that one other person know made me feel safer when I was in the group and that person would help me find a place in the group I could handle. Feeling that someone was on my side helped decrease my feelings of panic. You might not find that person on the first try but keep trying. Gossip is an amazing thing before you know it everyone will will know how you feel about the presentation and they will be less judgmental than you think. As long as you are willing to pull your weight in the background you will have their respect.

1. Talk through with your boyfriend. What is the worst thing that could happen? Come up with solutions ahead of time.
2. Find something to put in your pocket that calms/centers you like a ring, coin, something of your boyfriends etc.
3. Put out the clothes you are going to wear the night before your presentation
4. Get a good nights sleep
5. Limit your caffeine
6. Celebrate no matter how it goes. You gave it your best try. :happydance:

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys :) I will defently try these. I have been having breathing problems either from asthma or something. I can't go get it checked out because no healthcare. So yeah lol my boyfriend knows and he will help me focus on him to calm myself. He's so great about it.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When I get really nervous and anxious I like to go outside and take in the fresh air. Then tell myself that "this too shall pass". :hug:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thanks guys :) I will defently try these. I have been having breathing problems either from asthma or something. I can't go get it checked out because no healthcare. So yeah lol my boyfriend knows and he will help me focus on him to calm myself. He's so great about it.

Asthma, or allergy and the like doesn't matter. Controlled breathing doesn't cause asthma or anything like that. When you're having an asthma attack, you naturally go into this controlled breathing mode especially when you use an inhaler. So, having a panic attack is just like getting asthma - you bring all your focus and energies into controlling that breathing.

Panic attack - or, I should go back to what I'm an expert at, rage - is the body's inability to gain control due to a chemical imbalance that causes an extreme physiological reaction to normal, or just slightly abnormal stimuli. To regain control, we start with something that is relatively easy to control - breathing. Breathing also has the added benefit of circulating oxygenated blood which aids in speeding up the body's natural inclination to regain balance. Being able to control breathing (relatively easier than trying to control the rage itself) gives the brain the opportunity to get back into the driver seat.

Having your boyfriend give you a center to regain balance is great. But, this can become a crutch. This will make it so that you will become helpless if your boyfriend is out of reach.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.