Help with a school project- dog boarding ideas

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Since we love our furbabies so much I thought thus would be the best place to ask for help!!!

I have to prepare a marketing plan for a dog boarding business. Is there anything you would want/look for when shopping around? Anything unique that you've seen offered and just any thing unique you do for your babies that you would want done when you're away.

Thanks in advance

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't ever done dog boarding ... which is why we NEVER go away!!! :blink:

I would look for somewhere that looked like a home from home situation .. my ex sister-in-law ran her own dog boarding business just as a hobby really. She would only take one or two dogs at a time, but they would live with her in her house as if it were their second home. I can't tell you how many times the dog didn't want to go home when their owners came to collect them!!! :ROFL:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My sister has her own kennel/training business! Man..it's a hard job! I would look for supervision..cleanliness..climate control and strict rules about sick animals! I guess that's why we get someone to stay at our house...I'm way too paranoid! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pre-stay evaluation
vaccinations
kenneled
crate free
indoor climate control
outdoor activities
grooming
bathing
play time vs down time
training while staying

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Some unique "competitive edge" items would be:
Video camera that can be viewed online or from an ipad/iphone app.
Fridge for commercial or home-made perishable dog food.
Complimentary wash for dogs staying 7+ days.
Complimentary vet-well-check for dogs staying 15+ days.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Cleanliness is very important, as would be how much one on one attention the staff can give the dogs on a daily basis. A doggie run for daily exercise, maybe even an agility area with tunnels and hurdles, how much supervision is given to the dogs, is water available all day/night, what types of treats are given. It'd be nice if the boarding facility could give the dog parent a daily or more, update on how their pooch is doing.

OP
Jackieshoes

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Thanks y'all! Since its just for class I'm gonna go all out, lol!!

I'm thinking grooming, "spa services", a live in manager/certified vet tech. Daily updates, report cards to go home, doggie day care, a transport device, etc. I love the video feed ideas and the "interview" ideas!

I really want it to be like a doggy vacation! Like a 5 star resort...

Anything crazy y'all have seen?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
A place we used to use was situated on an old par 3, 9-hole golf course that had been divided into dog parks. They had several trainers working there. When you boarded you were able to pay for extra time in the dog park with one of the employees for your dog. They also had a doggie day care that offered a "tucker out service" with a complementary rinse and blow out. I LOVED that place! Our dog loved it so much that we couldn't say the name of it without her standing at the door barking to go.

matthewtin

May 24, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tomy
Advertise that there is plenty of indoor and outdoor space for the dogs to run and play, since dog boarding can be stressful for the animals. Cleanliness is a big deal, as is making sure that all the dogs have the proper vet records (and people will try to fake them). Let pet parents tour the facilities, and offering little extras like grooming, extra playtime, and video will definitely help inspire trust!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanks y'all! Since its just for class I'm gonna go all out, lol!!

I'm thinking grooming, "spa services", a live in manager/certified vet tech. Daily updates, report cards to go home, doggie day care, a transport device, etc. I love the video feed ideas and the "interview" ideas!

I really want it to be like a doggy vacation! Like a 5 star resort...

Anything crazy y'all have seen?

When Bea was in "day camp" two days a week, I would get a "report card" when I picked her up. I never got tired of receiving and reading that little report card. It was a pretty generic, check the boxes with a comment at the bottom kind of thing but I always loved it. It felt "personal" to me - even though I know they were filling them out for a kaboodle of dogs every day.....

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Flat Screen TVs. Access to animal planet, ESPN or Disney Channel for the well loved couch potato pet.

My best friend, when she leaves for work, she turns on cartoons for her dog. I think it's the strangest thing, but if you ever go to the house while she's not there and see her dog. He's not sleep, he has the remote and he's watching his TV.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.