Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
Crufts isn't my thing but I watched a bit of it. All the dogs I seen were on what looks like a choke chain. If these dogs are trained why the need for the choke chain??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it has to do with commands/lead.... I tagged David he is familiar with showing

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I used a tiny little "choke" chain on my bullmastiff when I showed him. He could have snapped it in seconds flat! They are used more to guide the dog to where you want them to go and what you want them to do. By the time those dogs get to Crufts or Westminster they can show themselves. My boy used to lead ME around the ring and stack himself for the judges.

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Any Picts of him ?? I love b m 's.
This is Norton with the handler who showed him when we decided to go for the big wins. To give you an idea of his size, the handler is over 6 feet tall.

Attachments

• Norton.jpg
    Norton.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 123
OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
This is Norton with the handler who showed him when we decided to go for the big wins. To give you an idea of his size, the handler is over 6 feet tall.

Cracking dog. Love the colours on him.

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks. He was such a wonderful, goofy dog! He learned to use his weight against me when he didn't want to do something. He'd lie on the ground and go limp. Only his ears and his eyebrows would move, and his tail would wag. There will never be another like him! :*( It once took me an entire package of little sausages to get him into the bathroom for a bath. Once he got there he jumped right in the tub. He didn't mind the baths, he just like making up his own games!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
He was a handsome fella! We have a friend who used to keep his Bull Mastiff in the garage with him by leaning a pallet across the opening at the door. All Lukas would have had to do was bump it with his nose and he'd have been out the door. But he never even tried.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, pretty much all show leads are small chock leads, they say up close to the head as to give the handler better control of the pooch. But like [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] said, most of the seasoned show dogs pretty much know were to go. Plus the leads are small as not to take away from the dog.

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
He was a handsome fella! We have a friend who used to keep his Bull Mastiff in the garage with him by leaning a pallet across the opening at the door. All Lukas would have had to do was bump it with his nose and he'd have been out the door. But he never even tried.
i have a short fence that my two could have easily gone over, but they never tried. They are content to stay close to home.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I use to show my Usko, but now he's retired for the most part. Normally we use a collar that is 2,5inch wide or a harness, but for shows it's always a narrow choke chain. If he wanted to snap it broken he probably could. It is really just for the look. This pic is from last summer's bulldog show.196682_392122377519844_1827407364_n.jpgNo prices, but he got an Excellent.

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Another great looking dog. Did he win much ?

Some, but not much. He is on the thin side and always got beaten by the big guys.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Some, but not much. He is on the thin side and always got beaten by the big guys.

Usko is a great looking Bully. Considering that way too many bullies have breathing and hip issues, thin side is way better than thick.

Hoping Blue will be on the thinner side too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.