This or That ... Names

How Did You Get Your Name??

• Family Named Passed Down Through The Generations?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Named After Someone Special?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Original Name Just For You?

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Sharon was just a popular name. But in my mom's family tradition (Irish) every child in a family shares a middel name with evry other child of the same gender so my sister's middle name is the same as my middle name - we are both Maureen. Could never decide which name I disliked more. But I am stuck with them and just had to get over myself.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I was supposed to be named Rebecca. But then mom said she didn't want people calling me 'Becky' so that was nixed.

They ended up naming me Alix Ann...which was weird at the time. I am Hispanic and my parents also didn't want to give me a Hispanic name like theirs (Manuel and Carmen). they liked Alexia and Alexis and thought 'Alejandra'=Alexandra was just too long...so, they looked in their family bible and
they found ALIX...and my middle name is ANN...to they shortened the ALEXANDRA to ALIX ANN...never mind that my grandmother calls me 'Alejandra' anyway and has done so since the day I was born. heehee! :yes:

When i was a baby my mother, who had me dressed all in pink with w/a pink bow in my hair would get asked what my name was to which she would answer: ALIX...and they would respond with: Oh what a cute little baby boy. REALLY? :lmaogirl:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My name is Karen .... but apparently my Mum wanted to call me Joanne. Now, I should explain, that over here in USA the middle name is almost a given thing. In Britain, it's not AS expected. My Dad absolutely HATED middle names and told my Mum that Joanne was too much like two names ... JO and ANNE. So that was vetoed and I was named Karen .. no idea why.

My sons name is Sebastian ...firstly, I too strived for something a bit different. But I had also fallen in love with the name when I read the book "Brideshead Revisited" and it was also made into a fabulous TV series which I equally adored. His second name is William. William is my ex-husbands middle name and also the name of his deceased father. We wanted the name to continue through the family, out of respect to his Dad who died in his 40s from cancer.

My daughter is called Juliet. If she had been a boy, her name would have been Alexander. Both myself and her Dad thought it was a very beautiful english name. It was quite a while before we realised that our Juliet .. from Romeo and Juliet .... had a last name to match!!!! You see her last name, and so my ex-husbands name is Moore. Which if you rearrange the letters can spell Romeo. So my daughter truly is a Shakespearean baby!!!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I love reading these stories! It's interesting that so many of us were going to have different names than we have now and never liked the names we were given. I understand the gender issues-- I have always received mail addressed to Mr. Chris Patterson. I would have preferred the name my mother originally wanted and would have called me--Betsy. I wonder if my life would have been different.

i gave my kids old-fashioned names: William,who in his 30s is still called Billy; Anne, who is called Annie; and Kathryn, or Katie. By the way, my awesome son is single and available and loves bulldogs in the Dallas area if anyone is interested . . . (Shameless plug) :ROFL2:

Oh! And my dad called me "Grace" because of my ability to trip over my own two feet while standing perfectly still.

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
The name Christy was a surname that died with my generation so I got it as a first name because I was the oldest girl.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.