This or That ... Names

How Did You Get Your Name??

• Family Named Passed Down Through The Generations?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Named After Someone Special?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Original Name Just For You?

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
How did you get your name?

I will start, my mom named me after two of my uncles that had passed away at a young age, that is why my name is spelled Leesa, the Lee is for my Uncle Ronny Lee and my middle name is Dawn for my other Uncle Donny

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Roumor has it that I was suppose to me a Michelle.

When i was born though a few things went seriously wrong and they werent sure if I would make it. My parents were advised to have me christened in the hospital as I was in the hands of the Angels, My name from that second onward became Angela and thankfully they spared me :D

My eldest son Andrew Michael...First name came from a comedian that had me in stitches throughout my pregnancy, his second name is my estranged brothers name.
My youngest Connor Sean named after my fave actor Sean Connery :)

Last edited:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
My mother was in a post-anesthesia-induced haze when my dad and his mother decided that my name would be Chris. She didn't get a say in the decision. She was going to name me Elizabeth. I don't know that she ever forgave them.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Oh I love talking names!

My name first:
Sally - mom named me after the friend in the Dick & Jane books she read in school.
Kim - my dad gave me this name - I thought it was something special but later found out he named after some woman he met when he was serving in Vietnam. This really upset me and I don't use it anymore just the K. I made sure to name my children myself after this nightmare lol.

My son:
Brendan - I named him after Brendan Fraser - fell in love with him after seeing him in School Ties. I thought if there can be a 'Brandon Cruz' (the little boy from The Courtship of Eddie's Father) then there can be a Brendan Lopez lol.
Matthew - I always liked this name and it's from the Bible meaning 'Gift of God' and he truly is. We lost my younger brother 6 months after Brendan was born and he was the one thing that kept us a family since it was just me & my mom. Without him who knows where or how I might have ended up?

My Daughter:
Veronica - I was going to name her Victoria after my deceased younger brother but then decided to name her after her father who is Ronnie. Also, after Veronica from the Archie Comics and Veronica from Heathers because in a world full of Heathers I wanted her to be The Veronica.

Mari - pronounced like Marie but just without the E...after her dad's mother Mary and only because there's not much to fit well with Veronica?

:)

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My brother, two years older than me, had a cruse on a little girl in the neighborhood named Christina. He asked my Mom to name the baby Christine... and so she did.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well.... My mom thought my name was original at the time, had never known of another Jennifer. :LMAO: guessing everyone at this time did the same thing. Middle name might be after someone but I wouldn't know who if so.

my girls names r special tho. Sierra because I loved the sound of it and we camp in the sierras. Middle name jean after my gram (the mst special person in my family)
paige was just a name I loved and middle name Marie after my step mom, Mary. Her mom and aunts all shared the middle name Marie which is where they got Mary for her. I couldn't go with Mary cuz it would offend my real mom. :lol: figured Marie was a sneakier way.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..my REAL name is Rebecque...I think my mom was on drugs when she came up with that spelling..because..while we have every ethnicity known to man in us, French is NOT on the list! :ROFL: But....it's fun watching people try to pronounce it....besides..I'm only Rebecque to banks and when I'm in trouble...plain old Becky is ME!

my daughters..well Jennifer..because I didn't know any! What a joke..along came the movie Love Story and that name exploded...but she really is "one in a million". :love:

My youngest is Stephanie..I just loved the name..feminine and graceful! Ummmm....:ohmy:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Well my mum named me Georgia after her deceased father and my dad changed it when he registered me to Julie I have been told that was my elder sisters dolls name how original is that one :confused: and I am the only one without a middle name I think I must of been a mistake.

My daughter Melanie I chose that name when I was a kid as my friend was called that and thought what a great name instead of plain old Julie.
My son is Richard William 4th I didn't have much choice there :rolleyes:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
my name is Henny. Yes, i've heard it all...Henny Penny, Henry, Hank even! "Is it short for Henrietta?" is a question I get a lot. Sometimes I say yes if i don't want to talk too much, but sometimes I tell them the real story. My mom had an older sister who died at infancy, and her name was Henneka (Dutch in origin). So they shortened that and gave me my name. Growing up I never liked my name b/c people always called me Henry during roll call at school. Even now I get letters in the mail addressed to Mr.Henry Liem. Btw, if you go to the Netherlands or Indonesia (a former Dutch colony), Henny is as common as Susan or Mary!

my middle name is Augustina b/c I was born in August. :rolleyes:

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Well I have no idea how my mom came up with Tracy. I hate it still. I was almost Michael Ann, just as bad. I would have made a good April or Bambi, I think. My middel name is Raye after my grandpa. So with the masculine spelling of tracy and a male middle name I get mail addressed to mr tracy... all the time

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
My given name is Laura, I didn't want to go with the typical spelling for nicknames when I was in my "radical" teens and I came up with Lari because I liked it. I loved Dr. Zhivago and Lara, and it was different than the spelling my mom used Laurie. (I mean really the idea of a nickname is that it be shorter not longer)
How was I to know half the people in the world would read Lari as Larry, because, I just don't see it that way at all.

Because I was due to be born around one of my grandfather's birthdays he wanted me named after him; Robert. So my mom toyed with Roberta for a while. But then didn't want to upset my other grandfather Wallace so she decided on Laura. That seemed to please both of them and Grampa Robert still made me his favorite cause I was born the day after his birthday.

My middle name is Kay after my mom's younger sister...she regretted that after they had a feud that ended any semblance of closeness between them before I was even a teen. They didn't even acknowledge each other's existence after a point.

When I named my son I tried for something unique also. I came up with the name Brock because I thought it was something nobody else would have. Of course within 6 months I heard of 3 other Brock's just in our area of NW Ohio born in 1980.

If I had ever had a girl her name would have been Serenity Elise and she would have been called Seri for short. But I decided the first time I was pregnant was also going to be the last because I had one of the worst pregnancies with "borderline" toxemia. And I wasn't willing to try to make it through that a second time.

I tried to get my son to name one of my granddaughters Serenity, but he wasn't any more impressed with that name than he is with his own. :p Not that the names my grandkids have aren't unique.
Saturn Marie, Lavender Blossom Sunset, and Ronan Dash

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I forgot to add .... I was suppose to have been born in December and my name was going to be Tamera Noel and my initials would have been TNT which would have been fitting since I had an explosive temper when I was young :lol:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would have been a Lisa, my dad was in Vietnam when my mom was preggers with me and wrote to my dad liking the name "Lisa" he wrote back and said he LOVED the name Kelly. So she did. Mom came up with Renee for my middle name, no reason, just liked it. I was almost a year old before my dad even seen me and to this day it is a "joke" that my dad was seeing a girl named Kelly. (They have been married 50.6 years now) :confused: I personally like my name Kelly Renee Phelps-Marino. By the time my dad got to see me I was a fat baby and he called me Toad. To this day at age 49 my dad always has and still calls me Toad. :rofl: Even when I call him he will answer with "Hi Toad!!!"

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I would have been a Lisa, my dad was in Vietnam when my mom was preggers with me and wrote to my dad liking the name "Lisa" he wrote back and said he LOVED the name Kelly. So she did. Mom came up with Renee for my middle name, no reason, just liked it. I was almost a year old before my dad even seen me and to this day it is a "joke" that my dad was seeing a girl named Kelly. (They have been married 50.6 years now) :confused: I personally like my name Kelly Renee Phelps-Marino. By the time my dad got to see me I was a fat baby and he called me Toad. To this day at age 49 my dad always has and still calls me Toad. :rofl: Even when I call him he will answer with "Hi Toad!!!"

my dad called me Dollygirl because I was a little bitty tiny kid and he told everyone I reminded him of a little doll and the nickname stuck :lol: I'm not small any more other then being super short :lol: and only get Dollygirl if he is super proud of me for something and it will slip out but my aunts still call me that from time to time :)

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I was supposed to be Jennifer Lynn that's the name my mom had picked out for a daughter since she was 18 but when she met my dad he already had a Jennifer Lynn lol so they just pulled alicia out of the air at the hospital Mary is my middle name n it was my grandmothers name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.