Kind of Bulldog related

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
So, there are a few people close to me that I know will give me grief over getting a bulldog, and because of this I have had to keep my mouth shut for the most part on bringing home Eloise untill I actually get her home.
I was wondering if any one else has had this problem and how did you handle it? How should I? Im not a very confrontational person. And Im kind of stressing at what will be said/happen.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I guess that really depends on what the comments are and the reason behind them.

For example a comment about how you work too much for a dog could be motivated by thoughts that the dog will be neglected often...

A comment about their hefty price tag could be motivated by how much debt you are trying to get out of...

Or they can just be the same comments and have no basis in reality at all...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I find, for the most part, people expect argument when they make intrusive
remarks and so, throw them off track by simply agreeing w/whatever comment
is made, i.e. they-"Wow, bulldogs are so expensive."...you-"So true" & smile.

If it's a question, "Wow, aren't bulldogs super expensive?"..."They can be."

Also, to questions like above, you can also simply chose to smile w/no response.

Refuse to play this game, they've got an agenda & their minds are already made
up and NOTHING you say (or don't say) will change it...so don't.

Of course, I'm a Texan...we LOVE to fight, no problem w/confrontations w/us!

In my youth, I gave blistering looks that would peel paint off the walls, if they were
stupid enough to continue then I verbally made them wish they hadn't opened their
mouths. Sometimes ya just have to whoop some fool's sorry a$$.

At 58, I have mellowed quite a bit and just don't want to waste my time, effort or
energy.

Of course...this changes if the idiots continue w/their agenda...with me, I have a very
low threshold for STUPID or BORING or A$$HOLINESS but I do try to just...walk away.

Do not let anyone tell YOU what you should or shouldn't do. It's your decision, your money,
your life...f**k them. Much love & GOD bless!

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
@texas_carol I like your idea of agreeing with whatever they say haha then what would they do, that could be a comedy sketch!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
@ Texas Carol, I agree with your entire commentary above.
@ Vicaroo 1000, the nerve of that vet, that' would have pissed me off as well. It's almost like implying that you were stupid and didn't research what you were doing beforehand.
Why would someone not want a bulldog? What is there not to love about them? How about I wanted a dog so I got the best breed out there.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I had a veterinarian give me grief about my first bulldog. No kidding. I "Yelped" about it. http://www.yelp.com/biz/hollywood-hill-animal-hospital-woodinville#hrid:UsPN6A0vw6Q6jebkoPgXvw

Good for you, Vicki! That vet should have kept her commentary to herself! Someone at our vet's office looked at poor little Mabel the other day and decided she was in the condition she is (skin discoloration from old fungal infection, ear infection, etc.) because I don't know how to take care of a bulldog! She said, "have you ever had a bulldog before?" like I was a neglectful, ignorant first-time dog owner. When I told her I had adopted her from a rescue less than a month earlier, she became much nicer, but I still wanted to slap that condescending attitude right off her face! Like Carol, I am from Texas. But I haven't mellowed yet. Wait! Maybe I have--I didn't actually slap her! ;)

My sister-in-law, who works for a vet, told me that she'd much rather see us get a Frenchie than an EB. Too bad. Her "educated" opinion is Butkus. Stand your ground, Pixie! It is your decision!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Do not let anyone tell YOU what you should or shouldn't do. It's your decision, your money,

I couldn't have said it better myself!!! :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Also, to questions like above, you can also simply chose to smile w/no response.

In my youth, I gave blistering looks that would peel paint off the walls, if they were
stupid enough to continue then I verbally made them wish they hadn't opened their

At 58, I have mellowed quite a bit and just don't want to waste my time, effort or
energy.

Of course...this changes if the idiots continue w/their agenda...with me, I have a very
low threshold for STUPID or BORING or A$$HOLINESS but I do try to just...walk away.

Um.... Where did our biggest sweetheart run off to? I think she's been taken over by the pod people!!!!! :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys. It's mostly going to be my boyfriends sister. She is....controlling. Great person, but controlling. I have a feeling it's going to be about the price tag, and because I have 2 cats and a toy poodle, but in all fairness my boyfriend has stolen my toy poodle lol
It would be so much easier if she wasnt his sister and my baby sitter lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I got the same reactions from my family when I bought my 2 pups, my mom is horrified, she thinks dogs and animals other than a budgie don't belong in the house, she's an interior decorator, and her house is immaculate, like a show room home all the time, she hates when anything is out of place, and if someone sits on her furniture, especially if you're wearing jeans, she says the colour rubs off on the furniture, and her biggest nightmare is animal hair in the house and on your clothes. My sister has allergies, so won't come over, because of the 2 dogs and the cat. My 3 brothers like dogs, one has a yellow lab, so they love the dogs, but my mom and sister are quite disgusted by them, and always have comments, like oh the hair, the mess, the drool, the hair, the expense of buying them, then the expense of feeding them, and toys, and vet bills. When they bark or whine when I'm on the phone, my mom always says I'm living in a zoo. I number one feel sorry for them that they don't have the same experience of the love of a pet and especially a dog, and I just stand my ground, not rudely, as she is my mom, and I love her and would never be disrespectful, but I figure I'm an adult, with my own home, my own job, and my own life, and I just say to them, you are either a dog loved or you aren't, and we happen to be, and it's what makes us happy, I couldn't imagine my life without a dog in it, and we love our dogs, they are our Furbabies. I've raised my kids, they are 30 and 32, and they always had dogs growing up, and they have pets too, they grew up with the love of animals, and learned responsibility by having them. You are an adult, with your own life, so if you want a dog and it makes you happy, I say don't worry about what others think, and enjoy your baby. Your not going to please everyone, and not everyone is going to agree with you, but its your life and your choice. That's what happens when you become an adult, you get to do what you want. Lol

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

energy.

:bravo:

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys =)
My boyfriend was against it at first, but now he is going supply shopping with me, helping me pick stuff out for her, talking about names. He said he is against it, but if its what I really want. And I know he will stand with me against his family, but I wish he didnt have to ya know?
Oh well. My life, my house. My bills are paid, my pets taken care of, and the only reason I dont have Kira (My toy poodle) here is because my boyfriend wont let me. I know she is going to use that. Oh well. I did alot of thinking, and research, and now is a good time for me to get my furbaby.....So there lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.