Is it too early to talk about the GARDEN?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
OH IT'S NEVER TOO EARLY! Heh heh.
Oh...OK... it's still too cold here to do anything but plant a couple of winter primrose (done!) but its the PERFECT time to order my dahlias for the summer! What will I be growing this year? Oooooo! Take a LOOK! Fortunately for me, Washington State has many marvelous dahlia growers with their own varieties' tubers for sale. It's fun to grow something that you don't find at Home Depot....

trelyn_rhianon.jpg My daughter's name is Rhiannon so this one was my first pick.

harts_dr_mcmurray.jpg This one is a "Giant" variety; the blooms will be upward of 12" across! (Yes, much staking is required!)

nayelle.jpg My final choice; a anemone variety which is a type I've never grown before. Looking forward to seeing these!

Anyone else dreaming of long days spent in the garden?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No, its never too early to talk about it. Lol. Just way to early to plant. But those flowers are super pretty, so I don't blame you for dreaming of the Garden days, and spring, and some warmer weather. I'm so ready for some sunshine, and warmer, dryer weather. I'm so tired of the cold, grey days, and all this dirty snow that's laying around. It would be nice to see some greenery, and some colourful flowers, plus the spring isn't so hot yet, so it's nice for longer walks for the dogs.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I dont think we will have anything left by spring..... RABBITS!!!... GRRRRRR!!!!!!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I may be messaging u this summer :) we bought a house at the end of last summer n I want to plant flowers n some trees this year but I kill what I touch lol or porky eats it :( I love ur flowers :) they r sooooooo pretty :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Gorgeous choices...a good friend in St Louis, MO is a gardener and ready too!

I can't seem to get the hang of it, my middle sister, Lori, is awesome.

But I do so love & envy, y'all's talents and at least, get to enjoy & appreciate
the gardens...thank you!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I pruned my grapes this weekend... but I still have a pile of debris in my Veggie Garden, and I also have my rose bushes there ! (we put them in temporary until we can get the new rose bed dug this spring. I guess I soon gotta get to work on that, to make room in my garden for FOOD ! (I grow for food, the wife grows for pretty things) :p

We are thinking of putting up Leyland Cyprus trees as a privacy fence, just to block out the junk next door (neighbors, construction materials, this that, a boat... fallen over swingset... etc etc etc) neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed TALLLLLLLLLLL fence !

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Never too early! I just love the Rhiannon variety above - gorgeous. Actually, they would all look beautiful in your garden!

We are still under onslaught of snow, but I have been thinking about my garden. I need to start getting my plots ready, but the ground is frozen. I am still unsure of when to start seedlings here. In California, it was so easy. Midwest, not so much to get the timing right.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think that $#@! groundhog LIED!!! Spring is never going to get here. :hissy:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I think that $#@! groundhog LIED!!! Spring is never going to get here. :hissy:

I feel your pain, Lari. We had about 8 inches last night and it's still coming down!
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I work with a man who is obsessed with dahlias. He has brought the most beautiful flowers into the office. He told me about a huge dahlia show here in Grand Rapids this summer. I'm going--even though I have a brown thumb.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I headed to work this morning...made it about 6 blocks and decided it just wasn't safe to try to keep going the 9 miles to make it there and turned around and came back home. We have about 8 inches of heavy wet very slick snow out there. Even where it's plowed it is like driving on an ice rink. They are saying we could still get 1-3 more during the day, it's coming down pretty good right now again.

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
It's gonna be SIXTY DEGREES today! :eek: I am smart enough NOT to do what I did last year (and every year prior to that)....I will NOT JUMP THE GUN! Its only MARCH....I must WAIT....! (it's my mantra right now...) Although there's plenty of "clean up" stuff I can do to keep me from planting something and then watching it freeze weeks later when the frost returns or something....
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] - [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - I can't wait for swapping garden vids with you guys. I hope some other folks get in on the fun this year. [MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] - I am expecting big things from you this year after your last year's successes! That phrase "after all danger of frost has passed"...it's illusive where you are, isn't it? [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] and @porkysmama - Here the dogs have their own yard and there is two VERY STURDY rose bushes that seem to bloom no matter what. Bo likes to grab a hunk and just sit there and chew on it; thorns and all. There are no toxic plants in my garden or dog's yard -- like Lilly of the Valley, for instance -- but there are plenty of STURDY plants because of Bo and the Slugs (which I've already begun my assassination plans on). [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] - I had a brief foray into competitive dahlia growing --- very brief. I couldn't abide by the concept of growing a single bloom for competition (and thus, cutting the other buds away so all the plant's energy goes into the ONE or two blooms you're banking on). I manage to grow some monsters out there anyway. I'm very excited for my selections this year. I've also decided to PLANT CLOVER in the "dog meadow" (it's hardly a "lawn"). It's part muddy slope, part grass, part dry patch (which turns into mud when it rains --- much to Bo's delight). I am excited at the prospect of having nice, lush green stuff for the dogs to play in and put the doggie pool upon....Last year, we had our first EB Pool Party in MAY! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0Ac5bkx_8&feature=share&list=UUV3B4Gh3L1FiZVq8_QV0umg

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Yesterday, was an AMAZINGLY nice day here for first of March...warm and sunny...almost made it to 50 degrees. Almost. Oh yeah, I was out there digging around in it...mostly clean up stuff....but it's just so darned easy for me to jump the gun. I told myself, I'm not doing it this year. For the first time in 35 years of gardening....I AM NOT GOING TO JUMP THE GUN.

...and then it happens. You get a message from the Universe.

Three little Viola plants that I could NOT RESIST buying froze to death last night.

MESSAGE RECEIVED!

“It was such a pleasure to sink one's hands into the warm earth, to feel at one's fingertips the possibilities of the new season.”
― Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yesterday, was an AMAZINGLY nice day here for first of March...warm and sunny...almost made it to 50 degrees. Almost. Oh yeah, I was out there digging around in it...mostly clean up stuff....but it's just so darned easy for me to jump the gun. I told myself, I'm not doing it this year. For the first time in 35 years of gardening....I AM NOT GOING TO JUMP THE GUN.

...and then it happens. You get a message from the Universe.

Three little Viola plants that I could NOT RESIST buying froze to death last night.

MESSAGE RECEIVED!

“It was such a pleasure to sink one's hands into the warm earth, to feel at one's fingertips the possibilities of the new season.”
― Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden

Plants do not kill plants.... plant abusers kill plants!!! ..... quote: Aristotle. or me ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.