Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it too early to talk about the GARDEN?

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is it too early to talk about the GARDEN?

It's gonna be SIXTY DEGREES today! I am smart enough NOT to do what I did last year (and every year prior to that)....I will NOT JUMP THE GUN! Its only MARCH....I must WAIT....! (it's my mantra right now...) Although there's plenty of "clean up" stuff I can do to keep me from planting something and then watching it freeze weeks later when the frost returns or something....
    @LariP - @BruceP - I can't wait for swapping garden vids with you guys. I hope some other folks get in on the fun this year. @Biogirl71 - I am expecting big things from you this year after your last year's successes! That phrase "after all danger of frost has passed"...it's illusive where you are, isn't it? @Vikinggirl and @porkysmama - Here the dogs have their own yard and there is two VERY STURDY rose bushes that seem to bloom no matter what. Bo likes to grab a hunk and just sit there and chew on it; thorns and all. There are no toxic plants in my garden or dog's yard -- like Lilly of the Valley, for instance -- but there are plenty of STURDY plants because of Bo and the Slugs (which I've already begun my assassination plans on). @ChrisRN - I had a brief foray into competitive dahlia growing --- very brief. I couldn't abide by the concept of growing a single bloom for competition (and thus, cutting the other buds away so all the plant's energy goes into the ONE or two blooms you're banking on). I manage to grow some monsters out there anyway. I'm very excited for my selections this year. I've also decided to PLANT CLOVER in the "dog meadow" (it's hardly a "lawn"). It's part muddy slope, part grass, part dry patch (which turns into mud when it rains --- much to Bo's delight). I am excited at the prospect of having nice, lush green stuff for the dogs to play in and put the doggie pool upon....Last year, we had our first EB Pool Party in MAY! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0Ac...1FiZVq8_QV0umg

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday, was an AMAZINGLY nice day here for first of March...warm and sunny...almost made it to 50 degrees. Almost. Oh yeah, I was out there digging around in it...mostly clean up stuff....but it's just so darned easy for me to jump the gun. I told myself, I'm not doing it this year. For the first time in 35 years of gardening....I AM NOT GOING TO JUMP THE GUN.

...and then it happens. You get a message from the Universe.

Three little Viola plants that I could NOT RESIST buying froze to death last night.

MESSAGE RECEIVED!

“It was such a pleasure to sink one's hands into the warm earth, to feel at one's fingertips the possibilities of the new season.”
    ― Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Yesterday, was an AMAZINGLY nice day here for first of March...warm and sunny...almost made it to 50 degrees. Almost. Oh yeah, I was out there digging around in it...mostly clean up stuff....but it's just so darned easy for me to jump the gun. I told myself, I'm not doing it this year. For the first time in 35 years of gardening....I AM NOT GOING TO JUMP THE GUN.

...and then it happens. You get a message from the Universe.

Three little Viola plants that I could NOT RESIST buying froze to death last night.

MESSAGE RECEIVED!

“It was such a pleasure to sink one's hands into the warm earth, to feel at one's fingertips the possibilities of the new season.”
    ― Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden

Plants do not kill plants.... plant abusers kill plants!!! ..... quote: Aristotle. or me

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    Plants do not kill plants.... plant abusers kill plants!!! ..... quote: Aristotle. or me
    Guilty as charged. But will I learn my lesson this year? THAT remains to be seen. (I never do)

You'll be delighted to know, Bruce, that Slug Assassination Season has BEGUN already. Yesterday morning for the very first time this season, I went out in my assassin gear (bathrobe, cigarette, bucket, right hand only glove, flashlight, bottle of Deadline) and managed to pick off TWO of the slimy encroachers! Sure, they were teeny tiny babies but these cute miniature slugs do eventually grow to be the big dog turd size devourers of all things precious. I know the rest of them are just waiting somewhere (secret slug gang hideout?) to attack the hosta crowns and the tender first leaves of my big purple Lupin the second they break the soil.

I AM ON IT!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Wow... we dont have anything like turd sized slugs here. Our slugs are small, about the size of s cigarette ash just before it falls in your lap small. They still are quite capable of eating the hosts though. Lari has some toxic, nuclear waste she pour on them. Gives a nice glow to that side of the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads