rats, rats, rats....

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Nice that we heard a rat in our attic a week or so ago above the kitchen so hubby put a trap up there and caught it. Havent heard anything else up there since. Well I go to get cleaning stuff from under my kitchen sink (in my house!) and there are teeny tiny droppings. UGH!!!! So hubby sets traps and catches a baby yesterday and sets more traps and caught another one last night. So far they havent left this area or got into anything else, cupboard-wise but I went to use the oven yesterday and there are droppings INSIDE my oven even. WTH is that about?!?!?! This is so grossing me out, you have no idea. We have had to deal with them here in our attic but NEVER IN our house. I am hopeful that we caught the mama and just have her babies to deal with which makes me feel better BUT hubby read online that they can have 9-11 babies. :eek: This is going to be a long process trying to catch them all, which we will eventually but my gosh it is just awful! And to make it worse they really are SO cute that I feel bad for killing them BUT not bad enough to let them live either. Does anyone else have any experience with this or am I the only one? :pray: Please let this be a fast fix!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
oh yes, we live in a re-done old carriage house in the woods of vermont, so mice are routine thing for us! It totally grosses me out to trap them, if I need to, I end up just throwing the trap and mouse away because I cant stand to remove the dead mouse from the trap! I just bought some granulated bobcat urine that is supposed to repel mice. you can sprinkle is around the outside of your foundation and also put it in cheesecloth sacks and put them in drawers/ under cabinets, etc. It's all natural and non-toxic, which I'm psyched about. Also, you don't have to deal with dead mice. I just got it at the beginning of the week and am going to put it out today, so I'll keep you updated on how it works!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
oh yes, we live in a re-done old carriage house in the woods of vermont, so mice are routine thing for us! It totally grosses me out to trap them, if I need to, I end up just throwing the trap and mouse away because I cant stand to remove the dead mouse from the trap! I just bought some granulated bobcat urine that is supposed to repel mice. you can sprinkle is around the outside of your foundation and also put it in cheesecloth sacks and put them in drawers/ under cabinets, etc. It's all natural and non-toxic, which I'm psyched about. Also, you don't have to deal with dead mice. I just got it at the beginning of the week and am going to put it out today, so I'll keep you updated on how it works!

Ooh yes please keep me updated! We could put that all over the attic. :) We also throw away the traps once we catch them, so gross. Our trash is smelling like we murdered someone right about now, my poor neighbors. I am just afraid to see how or where they got into the house. I read that they follow the gas lines down thru the wall and enter where the pipes come into the kitchen, they chew a hole or something. Hubby will be taking out the stove to see the damage. Hopefully it is small but I doubt it.

At least you live in the woods where you kinda expect this huh? We dont have that part of it to enjoy but there are a lot of fields and a rivene behind us where they all live apparently. I have cleared out most of our pretty yard so they have no place to hid around the house and yet we still seem to have to deal with this every now and then.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Rats in your house ... Yew .... :down:

We have our cat who I think helps to keep that kind of thing happening. Medina is fairly "country" so he brings home a large selection of mice and moles and the occasional squirrel as "gifts" for us. Fully intact I am glad to say!!! We did have a cat who would eat part of it's catch before he presented his "present" to us ... luckily Angel doesn't do that!!

He didn't start off being as good at catching things however ... for the first year we had him he would very proudly present to us candy wrappers he had "caught" and the occasional dangerous leaf which must have been moving in a threatening way! :p

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
It's getting colder, so they are starting to come inside. We haven't had them come into the house yet, but we see dropping in the garage. I just let LeRoy out there and he sniffs around. Every once in awhile, he'll catch one. But I think they smell him and don't come around very often.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
o my im sooooo sorry your having to deal w them!!!! we just got done dealing w them as well, we live in a old 1950's tudor house that we are remodeling and o my they have gotten into the attic and in the laundry/pantry room.... it took my bf 3 weeks to finally catch the ones in the laundry room and hopefully they were the ones in the attic as well lol.... he bought these things that plug into a outlet and it puts off a noise 3ft and trust me it works but doesnt keep them out of the laundry room they just ran along the far side wall.. he bought little traps, big traps, food which these little guys would just eat the food slowly so it wouldnt kill them, they would eat the peanut butter off the traps and never get trapped!!! so for 2 weeks i called jeff tom off of tom and jerry i swear these little guys were out smarting him and big time!!! well he bought some of that insulation foam that expands and put along the bottom of the crack in laundry room well guess what he trapped one little guy in there that stayed in that room for a good week!!!! lemme tell you who got laundry duty that week.....JEFF!!!!! the little guy never got into any of the food or dog food stored in the room which that plug was plugged right by so im sure that helped... well we guess that the little guy finally ate enough poison and died somewhere in the walls under the house or something UGH and the smell wasnt pleasant but at least their gone!!! i had asked a few friends if we could borrow their cat for a few days, but they all said that they didnt want their WIVES cats so we could just have it and we are not having a cat especially w 2 crazy boys and 2 crazy girls, o and jeff lol

o you might try that sticky pad stuff they have but if you do make sure you put a string on it and tie it to something cause they will and can run off w it!!!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW! [MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] it sounds like you have had a huge ordeal and here I thought we had it bad. lol. We seem to be good at catching them here on the old snap traps (the ones with a yellow landing on them so the rat really sets it off) loaded up with peanut butter or cheese and a piece of dog food. These ones are so small tho they dont set off the traps so well so we are having to use the sticky traps which break my heart cuz they are alive for quite some time on there trying to get free. Definitely not the most humane system but it works and pretty fast. I have seen the large rats tho get off them, rarely but it has happened so I dont recommend for full sized ones. My biggest thing is not being able to figure out how and where they got in. If we can find it then we can fix it but at this point I dont see us figuring this one out anytime soon. :( We only caught 2 babies so far but am hoping to catch more by morning, if they are here still that is. Just so creepy! Cant wait till they are gone and I can bleach everything and get a clean kitchen again.
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] these rats could care less about my boys being here. lol. When we first bought the house a few years ago we had a lot of them living in an outside shed and they would hang out in the backyard while the dogs were out there and never even thought twice about it. :confused:
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] that cracked me up, candy wrappers and leaves, what a tough kitty. :rolleyes: Wish we could have a cat I love them but am allergic like mad.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
cali~jenn;17763@[U said:
kazzy220[/U] that cracked me up, candy wrappers and leaves, what a tough kitty. :rolleyes: Wish we could have a cat I love them but am allergic like mad.

Yeah ... let's just say he's one sandwich short of a picnic!! :crazy:

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well we havent caught anymore so I am hopeful that there were just the 2 babies in our house? Not sure how that happened and I am very leery but as fast as we caught the others I am hopeful we are done. Now to just find how they got in and clean up the mess they made. Hubby will be doing this over the weekend, little does he know. ;)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'd be afraid of any "small' thing that may wander into our house. Orion is infatuated with anything that moves. She stalks grass hoppers, bees, worms, ants, frogs, flies and wind blown leaves. She is a true bug addict. We call her "sis-bug" and "sissy-bug". Not because she's afraid, but because....well, she's Vegas's sissy and she loves a good bug.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.