New Flooring!

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Everyone,

I currently have white carpet in my living room. With a 6 year old and 10 month old son, plus two bullies (momma and 13 week puppy) it's hard to keep clean.

I was thinking of ripping it out and putting down wood flooring our maybe tile. My living room is not that big but i need to do something....what do u guys think? Has anyone installed wood/tile with bad end results cuz of the dogs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We have wood laminate and it is bubbling at the joints, mostly due to Tonkas puppy antics when he was smaller but still now due to water getting caught in his jowls and him dragging it everywhere. Also due to me not wanting to follow him around with a rag all day wiping it up. I think if you went higher quality though( our builder was TERRIBLE - hindsight sucks :( ) you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Tile seems a fool proof choice to me, but we don't have any in main areas :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In our old home we had Pergo wood laminate and it was awesome... loved it, no issue, scratches or warpping. Here in our new home, we have Bruce hardwood.... I love it too, but the nails are really rough on the wood and we just need to be very diligent in keeping the nails short. we do have ceramic tile in the bathrooms which both pups love the coolness even if it is cold out.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
We installed an engineered wood (we have concrete) that is a very dark brown and handscraped. It's holding up awesome but the darker woods are harder to keep clean. Don't get bamboo...

The handscraped really masks any nicks or dings that may happen, but you have to be into the look I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Our house has the original pine hardwood floors. The dogs are horrible on them. When we eventually get to the point of replacing them we will get a harder wood. You can always lay done an area rug (we have one in the living room - and it helps to keep the floor nice).

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Engineered hardwood is the best option for kids and dogs. It's a bit more forgiving than tile when the kid falls on it and it is warmer than tile in cold weather. And it can hold up to dog pee, drool, and dog nails... and rollerblades.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
When I lived with my parents they had carpet and when hurricane Ike hit it ruined everything, they decided to finally get hardwood. Idk what kind, I know it is real and not the laminate kind. But it's WAY better for any messes. Only complaint is that the dogs were used to carpet so it took a while for them to get used to the wood because when they would run they would slide. They're used to it now. However, the pug will not go up or down the stairs anymore. He hasn't since the wood was installed. The english lab (113 lbs) still goes up and down but he does tend to fall and slip when running up or down due to it being so slick.
I would definitely recommend wood tho because it is the easiest to clean, isn't so cold as tile, and holds up better than anything else.
Best of luck! :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hi Oscar...so what did you name your pup?

I took out my carpet in my bedrooms due to flooding and have decided to stain
the concrete. So many looks to achieve w/this option...amazing!

I have stone tile in my living rm, dining rm, kitchen, baths & hall that I'm thinking
of taking out and staining the concrete as well.

Tile IS cold, cracks if you drop something heavy (like in the kitchen), concrete is not
as cold for some reason. Also, you can read up and do it yourself, not that complicated
and would probably be your cheapest option.

We are going to rent a machine to break up and remove all my tiled areas then acid wash
the concrete, polish then stain & seal. For my house, I will have a unified like thru out my
house and will last a lifetime. I'm going to use some area rugs in the winter but as I've
said, the concrete floors in my bedrooms are no where near as cold as my tiled areas!

Let us know and send pics...I will do the same and send before & afters. Carol

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
" I will have a unified LIKE thru out my house and will last a lifetime."

Sorry...this should read "...unified LOOK..."

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I've been thinking about the stained concrete too. Our Winston and the cats have destroyed the carpets downstairs.

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Hi Oscar...so what did you name your pup?

I took out my carpet in my bedrooms due to flooding and have decided to stain
the concrete. So many looks to achieve w/this option...amazing!

I have stone tile in my living rm, dining rm, kitchen, baths & hall that I'm thinking
of taking out and staining the concrete as well.

Tile IS cold, cracks if you drop something heavy (like in the kitchen), concrete is not
as cold for some reason. Also, you can read up and do it yourself, not that complicated
and would probably be your cheapest option.

We are going to rent a machine to break up and remove all my tiled areas then acid wash
the concrete, polish then stain & seal. For my house, I will have a unified like thru out my
house and will last a lifetime. I'm going to use some area rugs in the winter but as I've
said, the concrete floors in my bedrooms are no where near as cold as my tiled areas!

Let us know and send pics...I will do the same and send before & afters. Carol

Can I change my mind about what I said about wood? Lol! I totally let the concrete idea slip my mind. Me and my roommate are moving from an apartment to townhouse in August and the floors are concrete! (Our apartment now has the fake wood) Idk why it slipped my mind because it was my favorite part about the place. I LOVE the look. Don't get me wrong, what I said about wood is all true. I just like the way the concrete looks more, and as Texas carol said, soo many different looks to achieve! And cheaper in many ways. (Do it yourself, doesn't damage)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.