Jury Duty

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I've been on jury duty several times and every time there's been a murder case I get excused. Ha Ha. So maybe if you look at the accused unsympathetically the attorney will dismiss you. LOL

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Like I said, as much as I tell them I would be impartial, and I would, I either get excused by the defense for having police bias or by the prosecution for having defense bias. They find my family background too inflammatory to risk.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] - OR you could do it like "Liz Lemon" does on 30 Rock; she dresses up at Princess Leah from Star Wars and talks about extraterrestrials. Dismissed!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Kelly it is either thru DMV records or voting, cant remember which exactly tho.

It depends on the State you live in. In Ohio the jury lottery was selected from registered voters. I was chosen three times there. served on one local jury in a drunk driving case in my early 20's.
was dismissed before selection second time in my early 30's and the third was actually in Federal court. I was in my late 30's, where I had to drive an hour and a half away from home to go to court each day for almost a week, and I was on a jury in a patent lawsuit.

Funny thing is I met up with my cousin in the jury selection room at the Federal one where he was up for serving on a murder case jury. Both cases were in federal court, but they called different people for the different cases, They just made us all wait in the same selection room for a while. That murder case they were telling the jurors to expect the process to take at least 6 months. I was sure glad I wasn't called up for that one! :blink:

Here in Wisconsin they go by driver's licenses and I was called once already and didn't serve on a jury. They said it would be 4 years before I could be picked again. That was about 5 years ago now, so they could call at anytime again I suppose.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I love jury duty!! :2thumbs:

I've been called before got selected and sat in the jury box for a full week on a case only to be excused cause I was one of two alternates. I was pissed. :bang: I got summoned last year and the year before (Federal and State Courts) and didn't have to show up for the jury pool. I think I like it because I work for a law firm and it's fun to me to see how the attorneys present their case.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It depends on the State you live in. In Ohio the jury lottery was selected from registered voters. I was chosen three times there. served on one local jury in a drunk driving case in my early 20's.
was dismissed before selection second time in my early 30's and the third was actually in Federal court. I was in my late 30's, where I had to drive an hour and a half away from home to go to court each day for almost a week, and I was on a jury in a patent lawsuit.

Funny thing is I met up with my cousin in the jury selection room at the Federal one where he was up for serving on a murder case jury. Both cases were in federal court, but they called different people for the different cases, They just made us all wait in the same selection room for a while. That murder case they were telling the jurors to expect the process to take at least 6 months. I was sure glad I wasn't called up for that one! :blink:

Here in Wisconsin they go by driver's licenses and I was called once already and didn't serve on a jury. They said it would be 4 years before I could be picked again. That was about 5 years ago now, so they could call at anytime again I suppose.

Wow, here I think you r out of the pool for 1 year only once you r called to serve.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:hissycry: I have never been picked or any of that !!!!! I always said I would love an exciting case in fed court, but I can't imagine being sequestered away from my puppers :nope:

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I didn't get picked ... apparently I said something that the defense attorney didn't like and kicked me out.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I get called but always dismissed. My father was a well known police chief in this state and my sister is a criminal defense attorney. Both sides don't want me on their jury. :)

Me too!! No one wants a psych RN on their Jury. Why is that? lol. Actually, last time I was selected as Jury # 12 it was for a Child molestation case. I was only too glad to be dismissed!!

I would love to do it for you, Leesa!! Now that I am paid for Jury duty I would do it as often as they call me!!

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] - I would have done it since I've never been on a jury but I HATE being the center of attention and having that room full of people looking at me and then laughing at my answers I was a total mess, the defense attorney was asking me all kinds of questions, I'm seriously uncomfortable and then in response to one of his questions I said something about the gal had to have done something wrong or she wouldn't be in the court room and ding ding ding defense attorney says Leesa's outta here!!!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Blah ... spent all day in the court house, I've got Jury Duty:barf: the whole day and selections haven't even begun to start ... my jaw almost hit the floor when I found out it was a murder case all I could think was holy crap batman!! Got to send a :hug: to sweetpeasmom2008 for sending me a message and worrying about me not being online much :) made me feel good!!! But will log on when I'm not sitting in the court room!

A murder case?! woah!!!! I had grand jury duty for 3 months (twice a month), but it wasn't that bad. It was actually fun.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
A murder case?! woah!!!! I had grand jury duty for 3 months (twice a month), but it wasn't that bad. It was actually fun.

My stomach sunk when I heard the word "murder" so for me it was a big Woah!!! but that is probably because I watch way too much of the crime type shows NCIS, Criminal Minds & Cold Case being three of my favorite shows LOL

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i just got my jury duty notice today....no offense to those who want it but i'd rather poke myself in the eye with a fork than have it. i want to cry....i have absolutely no attention span...like none...i can't take notes from someone speaking orally...and i have a bladder the size of a dime...to sit for hours listening to someone drone on ughhhh and i know i will catch flak for it from some who say it's my duty...but honestly i'm being punished for someone else screwing up? how is that fair?

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Blah ... spent all day in the court house, I've got Jury Duty:barf: the whole day and selections haven't even begun to start ... my jaw almost hit the floor when I found out it was a murder case all I could think was holy crap batman!! Got to send a :hug: to sweetpeasmom2008 for sending me a message and worrying about me not being online much :) made me feel good!!! But will log on when I'm not sitting in the court room!

Show up with a T Shirt that says:

I hear voices in my head

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
i just got my jury duty notice today....no offense to those who want it but i'd rather poke myself in the eye with a fork than have it. i want to cry....i have absolutely no attention span...like none...i can't take notes from someone speaking orally...and i have a bladder the size of a dime...to sit for hours listening to someone drone on ughhhh and i know i will catch flak for it from some who say it's my duty...but honestly i'm being punished for someone else screwing up? how is that fair?

I feel the same way!!!! It is possibly going to mess up my daycare situation and it puts me behind at work! I have it the first week in March. I work for the municipal courts so idk how that will effect me being picked or not. I may try [MENTION=5334]Heff102[/MENTION] 's idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.