Pork and Sauerkraut for New Years Day?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ever since I can remember my mother always had the traditional Pork roast with sauerkraut, mashed potato's and corn for New Years Day dinner for Good Luck. She would wrap coins, up in foil and put it in the kraut. (I think it was so we would eat it, but having Irish on her side, she said it was for luck) I have kept this tradition to this day. What is your tradition or do you just treat it as a normal day?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Same here Kelly... pork roast, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and lima beans

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Never had it growing up, but as an adult learned and usually do have it just because we like it.
Actually we decided just yesterday we are having pork and sauerkraut in the form of beer brats with kraut and dumplings this year. Easy breezy, and something we both like.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I always get the Boston Butt cut . What do you's get?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We don't do anything special for New Years Day, but my family and some friends gets together on New Years Eve, and we do a pot luck, everyone brings a dish. My sister stole my idea to make Chili this year, so I'm making meatballs, and trifle, someone is bringing a lasagna, plus others will be bringing things. We ring in the new year together. It's a lot of fun.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I'm a southern girl. New Years Day dinner has always been Black Eyed Peas and cornbread, and my husband insists on ham. I've never had sauerkraut for any holiday except Oktoberfest... I like sauerkraut, but my husband Mike can't stand it. He's such a picky eater! Worse than Winston.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I'm a southern girl. New Years Day dinner has always been Black Eyed Peas and cornbread, and my husband insists on ham. I've never had sauerkraut for any holiday except Oktoberfest... I like sauerkraut, but my husband Mike can't stand it. He's such a picky eater! Worse than Winston.

Joe hates it too, I just buy the small amount and cook it with my roast.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
mmmm I've been waiting for a while for pork and kraut...this new years day i'm making pork tenderloins and sauerkraut Perogies from the ukrainian market...i make extra Kraut for myself!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Our only tradition here is Greens, Blk eyed peas etc....A southern thing. But I LOVE pork roast and sauerkraut with potatoes. Gives me an idea.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We dont have anything special here we treat it the same as every other day, but today New Years Eve we were going to the beach with Fish'n'chips but its raining so no beach we are all going to the safood resaurant for lunch instead and everyone coming here tonight and we are just having finger food and drinks.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:hmm: Never heard of Pork Roast and Sauerkraut! EVER! :laugh: We just have what sounds good! This year Ham..scalloped potatoes..

Oh good, i thought it was just me!!

I have heard of black eyed peas for good luck but honestly, the one year I made that which was 2010, I had the worst year of my life so I don't think i'll be doing that again.
I don't have a special tradition either. I'm sure whatever it is it will involve beer and some other adult beverage throughout the day!:partytime:

L

Lucy-licious

We too just have whatever we fancy at the time....Mustard Roast Ham this year, with all the traditional roast trimmings. Then Apple Strudel and custard for pudding, yummy :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I dont eat it EVER! We dont do anything special for our new years meal. It will be just me and the girls the whole day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.