Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am hoping some of you can help me with haircutting!

I got an Oster 76 several months ago because I cut our family's hair and was sick of working with crap for cutters. I never went to beauty school but I do understand the concept of hair cutting (for ametuers lol)

Now that I have 4 kids (3 boys one girl) I had to lay down the law to get my new cutter. My only problem is it really does not seem to be "that" much better than the cheap ones I have.

So upon looking into it, I see there are several blades that do different things. So now, I don't obviously want to spend hundreds on blades (maybe over a period of time.....).

So my question is, which blades do I NEED? Noah and Carson's hair is very thick and coarse, that is probably why I am not seeing a huge improvement.

This is the ones I have listed I would like to get:

18 skiptooth (this should get through those boy's thick wavy hairs right?)
set of comb attachments in various sizes
3 3/4 (I would like to be able to do over an inch cut with the longer blade plus a 1" comb)
00000 or 0000 (not sure which to get, want one that shaves smooth)
Texturizing

The unit came with a 000 but it does not give a very close cut.

Please let me know if there is any other must haves, and if you can tell me more about the different blades and what they do (like the skiptooth, A and F blades?)

L

Lucy-licious

Well Chris uses his with no attatchment and practically shaves his hair al off...proper buzz cut :D

I am a scissor girl myself though so am of absolutely no help what so ever :eek:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm a beauty school graduate but not a beautician. I only cut Bruce's hair now and occasionally the neighbors. But I also scissor cut for the most part.
Bruce has decided he likes a buzz cut now though so I am using a 2 comb on the razor instead of the 7.
I have a small hand held battery operated one for getting really close at the neck and ears.
My clippers don't have a feather blade so I can't help you there. But I would assume its for thinning, not a full even cut.

Years ago before I ever went to BS I had a Flobee to cut my family's hair. It actually worked well! Google that if you never heard of it.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My son Jimmy is the stylist in the family. He has quite the little side business cutting hair. I bought him an Oster Pro for his birthday to replace his old, noisy Wahl. That model only comes with 4 guides so we also got him the spring loaded pro set. It's more durable than the Wahl, quieter than that Wahl and he says that it feels better in his hand. He prefers the corded kind because he doesn't have to worry about the battery dying or getting low in the middle of a cut.

I don't know which guides he uses the most but I can tell you that for the redhead he uses a 4 on the top and fades to a 2 on the back and sides.

edit... forgot the picture.
20121126_164533[1].jpg

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My son Jimmy is the stylist in the family. He has quite the little side business cutting hair. I bought him an Oster Pro for his birthday to replace his old, noisy Wahl. That model only comes with 4 guides so we also got him the spring loaded pro set. It's more durable than the Wahl, quieter than that Wahl and he says that it feels better in his hand. He prefers the corded kind because he doesn't have to worry about the battery dying or getting low in the middle of a cut.

I don't know which guides he uses the most but I can tell you that for the redhead he uses a 4 on the top and fades to a 2 on the back and sides.

edit... forgot the picture.
View attachment 31551

LOVE that picture!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have one of those noisy old Wahl's LOL but I usually on use it on hubby's neck. I prefer using the scissors and thinning scissors for layering

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I eventually found a set of compatible combs, and I think I now know what blades I will need in the future. I just had to do some haircutting with it to see. It works sooooo nice compared to the ones I have always had. I am going to love this thing!!!

Members online

No members online now.