Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Traditional Christmas Dinner or not

We have the traditional Christmas Dinner even though it very hot on Christmas day, I grew up in the UK and I have carried on the tradition of the hot Christmas dinner and my kids love the Yorkshire pudding along with the ham, turkey, chicken and pork and all te veg's plum pudding, mince pies, fruit fruit cake etc.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Traditional Christmas Dinner or not

I like traditional but with my family whatever is easier we do. Had Xmas day at our house lAst year and made pastichio (pasta) while everyone brought a dish. My mil always makes lasagna for Xmas so that is tradition as well. Thanksgiving is the only guarantee for traditional turkey dinner.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

We have made it our tradition over the last few years to have prime rib for holiday dinners.

But this year we broke that tradition and for Thanksgiving had a duck for the first time ever. It was good, but I don't know if it'll be something we do for a holiday dinner again, although we will make duck again.

I managed a 4 day weekend for Christmas by taking Monday off.
    It's been 4 days of eating and vegetating.
    Saturday breakfast was bacon, eggs and toast, Lunch was grilled cheese sandwiches, and in the evening we started the royal feasting with a pound of cold shrimp. Some cheese and crackers and wine.
    Sunday's decadence began by going out to Denny's for breakfast, followed by a Luncheon Birthday Party for the neighbor and they served Roast Beef, Fried Chicken, Green Beans, Country Mashed potatoes and gravy and salad. We had Filet Minion for dinner, Nothing else, just the steak because we had already had so much other stuff earlier.
    Yesterday we had Scrumptious Biscuits and Gravy for Breakfast. Loaded Nacho's for lunch and Snow Crab legs and Artichokes for dinner.
    Christmas Day started with Cinnamon Pecan rolls and for dinner we are having Prime Rib roast with twice baked potatoes, Aunt Ruth's Carrot casserole, Stuffed Mushroom Sage Dressing and Dinner rolls, Cranberry Sauce.

I had managed to lose about 15 lbs a few months ago.....I've probably put half of that back on this weekend alone!

I have a 4 day weekend next weekend too...I've already told Bruce that one needs to be productive...not like this one.
    Last edited by LariP; 12-25-2012 at 08:36 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

being half-Italian we have no choice but to have a big traditional dinner on holiday's.... there is a meat (turkey, ham, pork) and of course some form of pasta... lots and lots of food
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Lucy-licious

Roast Turkey, roast ham, chipolatas, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, sprouts, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and a Yorkshire pudding.

followed by rich Christmas Pudding with brandy sauce. YUMMY!!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

This is a big year in my home, since my son will be in the Military I've decided to go big with all the holiday festivities so for Thanksgiving we had a big traditional (for my family) meal Turkey, Stuffing/Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Deviled Eggs, and just for him we had Goose too ... for Christmas we will do the same traditional meal minus the Goose LOL
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Always traditional Thanksgiving and mix it up for Christmas, sometimes Lasagna and sometimes seafood, sometimes Prime rib and then it just all depends on the cook,(which is me)
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

One year I did a "Build Your Own Tostada Bar" for Christmas Day dinner here. It was fabulous and everyone loved it. I had everything you can IMAGINE to put on a Tostada from black beans to avocados to lime slices.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We do a prime rib on the rotisserie, it is so good!! But I also have a ham so not sure. Maybe prime rib on Christmas eve and ham on Christmas day.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Having lived in England until 5 years ago I had never celebrated Thanksgiving (obviously) .... and so Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day were always the big feasts for me. I always hosted .. because I love to cook so much.

So Christmas Day is usually Roast Goose, Duck or Turkey (occasionally pheasant) with Stuffing, Chippolatas, Roast Potatoes, mashed potoates, sprouts, carrots, sweetcorn, broccoli, cauliflower cheese, and gravy. Then dessert was always Christmas pudding with Brandy butter and fresh whipped cream, or warm Mince Pies.

Boxing Day is lighter ....... Usually a late afternoon buffet of all kinds of what I like to call "party foods" and whatever I can make out of the leftovers from Christmas Day.

New Years Day ... Roast beef or Roast lamb or Roast Pork with gravy, roast potatoes, and another selection of veggies. Dessert is usually some form of baked cheesecake, or gateau.

And now I'm hungry .....................

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Ours is untraditional. Mike has a very small family (it's only him, his sister and a cousin left of their lineage). My Mom will be here this year but not my son. Over the last several years I prefer to do a Christmas Eve dinner instead of Christmas Day. I just don't want to spend my Christmas Day cooking. We do a prime rib (this year's will be a 10 pounder) and king crab legs, and then a few other goodies. Then for Christmas Day we'll have prime rib hoogie sandwiches. If Mike's sister or his sister's other half cook anything and bring it over we do not eat it, they're not the cleanest in the cooking area, lol.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Ours is untraditional. Mike has a very small family (it's only him, his sister and a cousin left of their lineage). My Mom will be here this year but not my son. Over the last several years I prefer to do a Christmas Eve dinner instead of Christmas Day. I just don't want to spend my Christmas Day cooking. We do a prime rib (this year's will be a 10 pounder) and king crab legs, and then a few other goodies. Then for Christmas Day we'll have prime rib hoogie sandwiches. If Mike's sister or his sister's other half cook anything and bring it over we do not eat it, they're not the cleanest in the cooking area, lol.
    Oh Jeannie you make me laugh when I read your posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads