Pittsburgh Zoo Accident: African Wild Dogs

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] I am right there with you. My butt would have been down there whether to save my child from death or mutilation. Of course, easy to say when not in the mom's actual position. Sad thing is that this person's lack of common sense will ruin things for many future generations.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy220 I am right there with you. My butt would have been down there whether to save my child from death or mutilation. Of course, easy to say when not in the mom's actual position. Sad thing is that this person's lack of common sense will ruin things for many future generations.

From the news report they say they had like a safety net to stop things falling in which I assume was made of metal. Maybe they should design those things a little better .... just a thought. Trying to find something positive out of all this, which is difficult.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
She shouldn't have stood her child up there, and she CERTAINLY shouldn't have had him up there WITHOUT the mother death-grip that I used if any of my kids were 3" off ground level. And if it were me, I'd have been jumping down after my baby like something out of a tarzan movie. Yeah, and probably got mauled myself in the process. But that's me .....

These were my same thoughts, too.

There must certainly be something positive that can come for this tragedy. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
thanks for your opinions everyone, I agree wholeheartedly. There was an article in the post gazette slamming the zoo for this, saying their safety measures are inappropriate. :(

you could have every possible safety measure involved - 100 foot glass walls, with a glass ceiling, with no way in and no way out... and

STILL STUPID PEOPLE WILL FIND A WAY TO BE TOTALLY STUPID - COMMON SENSE IS TO UNCOMMON NOWADAYS - - -

Am I being harsh on the mother, HELL YES, honestly she should be arrested and convicted of 'Child endangerment' and whatever degree murder it is (3rd?) STUPID PEOPLE, STUPID STUPID STUPID People. When will people learn that others can NOT protect you from YOURSELF ! arggggghhhh ! ! ! ! ! ahh.. I needed to Vent... Thanks :) :) :)

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] I'm with you 100%, but I also work in the field so I wasn't sure how many non-zoo people agreed with my point of view :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
African Wild Dogs are gorgeous creatures! My daughter and I saw them in the wild at Kruger in South Africa. A family group was devouring an impala so they all had these bloody little satisfied faces.... kinda gross but hey, that's what they do. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous!

The boy's mother should not be allowed to breed again.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree that this is the mother's fault, and not for nothing how does she not immediately jump in there after her child to try and protect him????????????????? It is very sad but who puts a two year old on a railing without having a firm grip on him/her

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i saw this and it is so sad. now that i read it more i do not understand how a mother can put a child on a railing without holding them to the point of not being able to breath or hold them up behind the railing so they can see. yes she will forever be scarred by this tragedy and i feel for her and all involved with it. im not sure how she could jump a 14 foot enclosure to get to him i dunno. why people cant heed warnings that im sure were posted everywhere i dont understand. its not the dogs fault they were doing what they do in the own territory so to speak. just awful.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.