Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, I agree, it's definitely a tragedy, very sad, but they are wild animals , and its their nature. Caution and common sense has to be number one in situations where you have wild animals and humans, like zoos, circuses, lion safaris, marine parks, etc. Animals are unpredictable , they are beautiful to watch, but you have to be careful, and especially protect your children. You don't ever hold a child over a railing, children are squirmy and unpredictable too, and accidents can happen in an eyeblink, and you can never take back that moment. Here in Canada, we had an accident at a mall involving a mom holding a small child at the railing, and she lost control and grip of the child, and she dropped him over the side, he also died. I feel terrible for these mothers, how can they ever live down the guilt and loss of their child, they will forever be haunted and relive those moments. My heart and prayers go out to them, there is nothing worse than losing your child. Very sad.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
wow this is so sad, as a mom my heart breaks for the child ... as a woman, I can't believe a 2 year old was put up on the railing in the first place to stand that just seems so dangerous and well his death proves just how dangerous it actually is ... the pack can't be blamed and I hope that there isn't a public outcry to close the exhibit due to them doing what is natural to a wild animal. any way you look at this it is just so tragic and sad!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My heart goes out the the child that lost it's life and also the most worst decision a mother made. That was plain stupid to put your child on the railing....these are wild prey animals. It's very sad and could have been avoided.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know this may sound heartless but remember the guy who lost his life to a tiger because they tiger jumped out of its enclosure, well that guy got what he had coming for being where he shouldn't have been and taunting the tiger and the tiger lost it's life.

If anyone even begins to blame the zoo or the dogs they're in the wrong. Only one to blame is the Mother and she will forever live with her bad decision. :(

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sad all around :( A young life was ended in a tragic way...the life of an endangered animal was ended....a family will forever grieve. So sad and tragic.

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
thanks for your opinions everyone, I agree wholeheartedly. There was an article in the post gazette slamming the zoo for this, saying their safety measures are inappropriate. :(

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks for your opinions everyone, I agree wholeheartedly. There was an article in the post gazette slamming the zoo for this, saying their safety measures are inappropriate. :(
Seriously? The one that should be slammed is the Mother for being an idiot and costing her child his life.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Just a horrible horrible tragedy. These stories happen from time to time and it certainly isn't the zoo or the animals fault. This poor mom has to live with this her whole life, just awful. :*(

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
It took them 5 minutes to get to the child... I don't understand this. How many people were watching? I don't think I could just standby and watch a kid get mauled.

OP
Taylor

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] the child fell into an enclosure with a 14 foot drop, I think the mother was in shock, child was dead within seconds...the keepers were actively getting the dogs off exhibit at the time.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Very sad and tragic; I feel so sorry for the family. The mother has to live her whole life with "if only I hadn't..." I just hope it wasn't intentional.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] ... that mother is going to have to live with the horror of this for the rest of her life. I'm not sure I could deal with that pain to be totally honest with you. So saying who is to blame and who's not to blame is never going to take away that mothers horror, remorse and indescribable pain that will be with her with every waking and sleeping moment of what is left of her life.

She shouldn't have stood her child up there, and she CERTAINLY shouldn't have had him up there WITHOUT the mother death-grip that I used if any of my kids were 3" off ground level. And if it were me, I'd have been jumping down after my baby like something out of a tarzan movie. Yeah, and probably got mauled myself in the process. But that's me .....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.