Hurricane Sandy Rollcall - - Please check in before, and after !

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi there-
Sorry to have been MIA for quite a while. I'm just now logging onto the site and seeing this thread.
As [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] mentioned, our home didn't do so well during the hurricane. We evacuated (thankfully) Monday morning before it hit and were smart enough to take both of our cars with us. (any cars that were left in our area were destroyed and floating down the streets.) Our home had very significant water damage and is currently being COMPLETELY gutted by a team of contractors. We went in ourselves to start the gutting and then realized the depth of the damage was way beyond doing it ourselves. Thankfully, my Dad "flips" houses and had many connections. We were able to get a crew there quickly. Gutting the flooring was a priority to prevent mold damage, even though the entire house now needs to be treated for mold. Last weekend was spent moving the remainder of our belongings and furniture that wasn't damaged out of the house. We are currently living with my parents and are lucky to have them. Our belongings are scattered in 4 different houses in Toms River and we are living out of garbage bags at the moment.

We are emotionally and physically drained but the support we've received from friends and our families have lifted our spirits. We won't be able to move back in for a few months. Our damaged was assessed at almost $70,000 and we hope our flood insurance will pay that amount. We have an online Flickr album of our house and the storm related damages here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yourbandsucks/sets/72157631968539121/

As for Oliver, he is living like a KING at his "grandma and grandpa's" house! He has made tons of friends in the neighborhood and is even going for "walks". (he sits on the sidewalk and people come up to him and pet him.) He's handling all of this much better than we are.

On a final note, (and I hope this doesn't embarrass her) - [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] did SO much for our community throughout all of this. She collected TONS of stuff to bring to the shelters and I can't say enough about how she helped me by coming over and offering support. Turi and I have only known each other for about 2 years now but I am so happy and proud to call her a friend. She is such a kind soul. She even tried to check on my home when the flooding was bad and we couldn't get to it. She is so sweet and I adore her so much.

PS: We're putting our house for sale as soon as it's fixed. If anyone wants [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] as a neighbor, make an offer. Haha! ;)
checkingthingsout.jpg
Here is Oliver, going for a "walk" in his temporary neighborhood.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear from you [MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] !

Hope things get back in order soon, nothing like getting the rug swept out from underneath you!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
As for Oliver, he is living like a KING at his "grandma and grandpa's" house! He has made tons of friends in the neighborhood and is even going for "walks". (he sits on the sidewalk and people come up to him and pet him.) He's handling all of this much better than we are.

View attachment 31240

I'm so happy that you are all safe and sound ....... but I had to "giggle" when I saw Oliver going for his "walk". :luv:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Hi there-
Sorry to have been MIA for quite a while. I'm just now logging onto the site and seeing this thread.
As @Chunksmama mentioned, our home didn't do so well during the hurricane. We evacuated (thankfully) Monday morning before it hit and were smart enough to take both of our cars with us. (any cars that were left in our area were destroyed and floating down the streets.) Our home had very significant water damage and is currently being COMPLETELY gutted by a team of contractors. We went in ourselves to start the gutting and then realized the depth of the damage was way beyond doing it ourselves. Thankfully, my Dad "flips" houses and had many connections. We were able to get a crew there quickly. Gutting the flooring was a priority to prevent mold damage, even though the entire house now needs to be treated for mold. Last weekend was spent moving the remainder of our belongings and furniture that wasn't damaged out of the house. We are currently living with my parents and are lucky to have them. Our belongings are scattered in 4 different houses in Toms River and we are living out of garbage bags at the moment.

We are emotionally and physically drained but the support we've received from friends and our families have lifted our spirits. We won't be able to move back in for a few months. Our damaged was assessed at almost $70,000 and we hope our flood insurance will pay that amount. We have an online Flickr album of our house and the storm related damages here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yourbandsucks/sets/72157631968539121/

On a final note, (and I hope this doesn't embarrass her) - @Chunksmama did SO much for our community throughout all of this. She collected TONS of stuff to bring to the shelters and I can't say enough about how she helped me by coming over and offering support. Turi and I have only known each other for about 2 years now but I am so happy and proud to call her a friend. She is such a kind soul. She even tried to check on my home when the flooding was bad and we couldn't get to it. She is so sweet and I adore her so much.

PS: We're putting our house for sale as soon as it's fixed. If anyone wants @Chunksmama as a neighbor, make an offer. Haha! ;)
View attachment 31240

I have been MIA too - feel like I'm on a roller coaster still since the storm. Thanks [MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] - you are too kind. I just do what's in my heart and usually that means for others. So glad we've become friends. Wish I could do more for you guys. xoxoxo

Members online