Home Alarm System

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
What company do you use for your home alarm system? I currently have Protect America, but our contract is expiring soon. I want a completely wireless system with a digital keypad and also inside/outside cameras. Does anyone have this type of system in their home? How do you like it? Is it affordable? Right now we pay $35 a month, and I don't want to go much higher than that ($50 is my cap). Protect America is OK, but I don't want to be locked into another 3 yr contract with this antiquated system. In order to get the bells and whistles I want, they would have to upgrade/add equipment to my package and my bill would climb ridiculously. I'm thinking about the Comcast/Xfinity system. Let me know what you guys use/think.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I have ADT. However, many of my clients have gone with the Vivint and have been happy with the product and cost.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We don't have one ...... unless you count the eight dogs who scream the house down at the slightest noise ..... but ADT is a favorite in this area!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I also dont have one, just have little seperate alarms on windows for the kids to be safe. BUT my sister just had her whole house set up with window and door sensors and she bought something that will call her cell automatically if it gets shut off or windows opened etc and she subscribes to nothing. She figures it is better than spending a fortune on those companies when they arent the police and many times police arent notified in time with them anyhow. This way she is in control of it all and only paid to have installation. You could probably use the sensors you already have and set it up this way with no service subscription.

OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I also dont have one, just have little seperate alarms on windows for the kids to be safe. BUT my sister just had her whole house set up with window and door sensors and she bought something that will call her cell automatically if it gets shut off or windows opened etc and she subscribes to nothing. She figures it is better than spending a fortune on those companies when they arent the police and many times police arent notified in time with them anyhow. This way she is in control of it all and only paid to have installation. You could probably use the sensors you already have and set it up this way with no service subscription.
Thanks for this suggestion. What exactly did she buy? I'm not at all familiar with this option but would like to know more about it!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well she went thru a guy who installs alarms to put in the sensors but if you already have the sensors on then I am sure you can use them without subscription. I will ask her what the set up was that calls her phone exactly tho.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have Vivint and really like it! It is all cellular, so it still works even with a power failure or if the bad guys cut your power. We don't have the cameras, but they are available. I like that it can be controlled and monitored by my cell phone and/or computer. I can check the thermostat and make adjustments when away. This feature is really nice this time of year when we need heat at night, but air by day. It notifies me by text when a door is opened, if the system isn't armed, if the temperature gets too hot or too cold (which is really nice with my pup in the house) and more. It does cost more than you are currently paying, but to me it is worth the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
We have Protection One but I don't have cameras, just sensors on the doors and windows and our keypad. We got the wireless service because we don't have and don't want a landline. They respond very quickly, we had a false alarm just recently. We pay $40 a month which may not be the cheapest service but our house already had the entire system installed by the previous owners when we bought it so all we had to do was have the service turned on.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh totally forgot to get back. My sister said the name of the thing they bought for their house was myjack. Would assume Home Depot sells them or call an alarm person maybe who could on next that to what you have then no subscription to pay.

Oct 23, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Butch
[MENTION=3114]LoveMyBully82[/MENTION]:

Not sure if you're still looking but there are a lot of options on the market for home security. I've been working in the industry for over 20 years and I've seen some good and bad companies. I know with Protect America that you already own the equipment so you might be able to get a lower price and avoid a contract.

If you want to look at other companies, there is a good home security comparison site that allows you to compare all major providers which is a link on my profile.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I have ADT. However, many of my clients have gone with the Vivint and have been happy with the product and cost.

We are considering this one, but we may be going with another guy - all wireless but a bit less expensive and better customer service. We will make a decision next week... stay tuned!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are considering this one, but we may be going with another guy - all wireless but a bit less expensive and better customer service. We will make a decision next week... stay tuned!

We have Guardian.... really like them, great service and easy to use

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.