Quandry

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I have mostly been guaranteed a nurse manager job for med-surg/inpatient psych if I apply. However, the pay raise is minimal ($4400 annually pre tax), the responsibility triple and working with a least 2 hostile employees that love to go to the union for any PERCIEVED accusations. On the flip side, it is time for me to grow and I can't see me doing my current job for 20 years. However, I work Monday through Friday 7:30 to 4, holidays and weekends off. I have complete autonomy. The management job means covering shifts, including off-hour, when no warm body to fill or sick calls. The upper management is known for not being supportive all the way to the director. My husband says NO!!, my friends say NO! but why am I still thinking about it except to be contrary. Any advice?

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] adn [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] You guys had no idea I knew such big words did you?!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Would you be able to apply, take the job and then get a few months of experience under your belt. Then, when the time is right, take a similar position in a different company???

The fact that you are still thinking about it means part of you must be very tempted. I think you need to sit down and write down all the negatives and then write down all the positives. Seeing things like that in black and white can be very helpful!! :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Boy that's a tough one Tracy. If you don't see yourself doing what your doing now for the next 20 years and this could be a stepping stone then you gotta decide if the change in lifestyle is what you want. Having a family with kids should be a deciding factor too as it will effect them as well. While the pay won't really make a difference in the short term I would lay out a list of what the pros and cons would be with at least a 5 year plan.

Nice big word too. :tease:

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Would you be able to apply, take the job and then get a few months of experience under your belt. Then, when the time is right, take a similar position in a different company???

The fact that you are still thinking about it means part of you must be very tempted. I think you need to sit down and write down all the negatives and then write down all the positives. Seeing things like that in black and white can be very helpful!! :up:

I work at the VA so it is a Federal job, which means I would not want to leave the company. The only pro is working my way up the food chain, I think. I will take your advice for sure though!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I just think that by writing stuff down it can make things a lot clearer ....... or at least that's what I find helpful!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Would you look back and wonder "what if?". If so, what are the risks if you take it and either hate it OR lose it? Money isn't important in the long run anyway! I wouldn't put much emphasis on "perceptions" or shop talk. If you want it and your eyes are open from the beginning, I would go for it. I mean, what's the worst that would happen? And the best?? I always hate to think of all the roads NOT traveled and the different routes to get where you want to go!

Good Luck and :bravo: for getting an opportunity to take a different road! :D

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

So do you thrive on challenges? Or are you a glutton for punishment? If the answer is no to those two questions then I think you should just take hubby and friends advice.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boy that's a tough one Tracy. If you don't see yourself doing what your doing now for the next 20 years and this could be a stepping stone then you gotta decide if the change in lifestyle is what you want. Having a family with kids should be a deciding factor too as it will effect them as well. While the pay won't really make a difference in the short term I would lay out a list of what the pros and cons would be with at least a 5 year plan.

Nice big word too. :tease:

That is the only thing holding me back is how it would affect the family. We have a good schedule going now which took a few years to get too.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This is going to be a hard decision. Where would this position take you say in the next year schedule wise? Would you be able to get back to a regular shift and then when it comes time to having to cover you cover but you'd have the normal work schedule?

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Would you look back and wonder "what if?". If so, what are the risks if you take it and either hate it OR lose it? Money isn't important in the long run anyway! I wouldn't put much emphasis on "perceptions" or shop talk. If you want it and your eyes are open from the beginning, I would go for it. I mean, what's the worst that would happen? And the best?? I always hate to think of all the roads NOT traveled and the different routes to get where you want to go!

Good Luck and :bravo: for getting an opportunity to take a different road! :D

If I take it and fail or don't like it, I could get black balled from management again or even desireable jobs. Or I have to wait for a job to open like the one I am in (which may be never). I will have leftone dept that could ostrasize me for leaving as well. I think the "what if" is the driving force here

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

So do you thrive on challenges? Or are you a glutton for punishment? If the answer is no to those two questions then I think you should just take hubby and friends advice.

thrving on challenges is what I like but this is a challenge many have failed on or hated prior to me. No one stays for long.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That is the only thing holding me back is how it would affect the family. We have a good schedule going now which took a few years to get too.

If I take it and fail or don't like it, I could get black balled from management again or even desireable jobs. Or I have to wait for a job to open like the one I am in (which may be never). I will have leftone dept that could ostrasize me for leaving as well. I think the "what if" is the driving force here

thrving on challenges is what I like but this is a challenge many have failed on or hated prior to me. No one stays for long.

Listen to yourself. Sounds like the no's outweigh the pro's.

1). How it affects your family. Extremely important

2) if it doesn't work out, you lose much more than you gain IF it does.

3) Do you have the magical potion that others before didn't? ESPECIALLY with uncooperative management? Trouble above/ Trouble below. Sounds like walking a plank to me.

After reading YOUR own answers, I hear more doubts than not.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Exactly. No you see the quandry. Few bennies lots of cons

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am not in the healthcare industry but I understand your need to grow and challenge yourself in your career. I think it's healthy you recognize that as important to you. That said, you've been working a job where you've had weekends and holidays off for many years. Perhaps you forget how truly miserable it is to have to be away from friends, family, and loved ones during those times? Can you put a price on that? There is no right or wrong answer but it's just something you may want to consider in weighing your decision.

Good luck making your decision!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.