What gardener could resist mums on sale for $.62?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Not this one!

We went to Lowes a couple days ago so I could get some potting soil to repot some plants I'm bringing inside for the winter. On the way into the garden section they has tons of mums ranging from almost $4.00 to over $20.00.
i commented that I wished we could find some on sale because although I have some almost ready to bloom that I would like a few more.
We got the dirt and turned around and saw a sign 75% off selected plants. Amazingly that included 4" mums that were actually VERY nice plants.

*Score*

So we bought 18 plants (all yellow) and I went home and planted them. Then just like Oliver I was hungry for more. Returned and bought 30 more! (4 white, rest yellow)

39 are in the front 8 in the back tiered garden and one in a pot on the side porch.

DSC_0002-4.jpg

DSC_0001-4.jpg

DSC_0003-4.jpg

DSC_0004-4.jpg

DSC_0006-4.jpg

I had to pull out a bunch of gargantuan DustyMiller to make room in the tier garden

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
48 mums.... on a whim!!!! She's sick I tell ya... sick sick sick!!!! :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:
I Love that sicko,,,, ;)

:angelheart: :angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart::angelheart:

:inlove: :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I'm a gardener too! but I think I would of passed on that deal. Now if it were Pepper Plants, or Tomato Plants or Onion sets... it would of been a different story ! (I only plant what I can eat :) :) :) :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Simply gorgeous..... you have a beautiful garden!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wonderful .... I so can not wait until Linus stops eating stuff so that I can put flowers in my backyard!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
GOSH DARN IT WOMAN !!!!!! did you leave any for anybody else? That one way to win most beautiful yard, buy all the plants:sarcastic: I hope they are the hardy ones that come back every year. Follow the yeallow brick road. Good deal [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GOSH DARN IT WOMAN !!!!!! did you leave any for anybody else? That one way to win most beautiful yard, buy all the plants:sarcastic: I hope they are the hardy ones that come back every year. Follow the yeallow brick road. Good deal @LariP

I left them all the rust colored ones :rolleyes:
it was Bruce's idea to line the sidewalk :flower: but I just put them a bit closer together than he originally laid out. :daisy:

Hopefully they will survive, they are supposed to be tolerant to -20, but I have had limited success with mums in the past.
I think the mostly clay soil we have here isn't ideal for them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I didn't know you could get hardy mums???? I thought as soon as the frost came it was bye-bye mums!!! :nope:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Beautiful! I would have a hard time passing that up too....but as less of a flower gardener, I probably would have stopped at two. Definitely not 48! :tongue: But they look amazing in your yard and couldn't have found a better home!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Such a beautiful garden! You have inspired me to think about what I want to plant in my yard. So far I have some Hibiscus flowers and a Jasmine plant. Lari, whenever you're in So Cal, stop by and be my consultant, please!:daisy:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh yes Hardy Mums, sometimes called field mums. they come back every year, Pinch them back starting May until July 4 and you have a huge half sphere of tight blooms. I love the ones that have a spoon shaped petal too.

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes Hardy Mums, sometimes called field mums. they come back every year, Pinch them back starting May until July 4 and you have a huge half sphere of tight blooms. I love the ones that have a spoon shaped petal too.

Pinch back before they bud out? I didn't know that!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]..... by pinch back do you mean I can lop their heads off with my electric hedge trimmer??? (we have a total of 72 mum plants) ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.