OMG turn out live and let live is sometimes a VERY BAD idea!!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I have always though spiders were pretty cool and mostly harmless. I even let my son have a pet tarantula. I've always picked up spiders and put them outside. No big deal just didn't want to kill them . I recognize the benefit to having spiders around and have a live a let live attitude towards them. I knew what black widows looked like so I;m not completely stupid but here were these little brown spiders and I thought meh they are small and innocent looking I'll just put them outside. Turns out there was a mama living on my porch and her offspring found their way in my house. I happened to see a spider Identification chart for my county and I may be the biggest idiot EVER. I have been unknowingly harboring and relocating WITH MY BARE HANDS brown recluse spiders!!!!!!!:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:. No more I'm killing anything smaller than a bulldog that wanders in my house from now on !!!

Last edited:

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
:nonono: Never touch anything with more than four legs with your bare hands... And sometimes that's pushing it!

We live in spider central - they seem to gravitate to my house. I have a kill anything inside the house that moves and doesn't have a name policy. They are spooky enough outside the house - I do not like uninvited house guests.

You are so lucky that you've never been bitten! How did you find out what kind they were?

By the way I am now doing the paranoid OMG a bugs on me dance - thanks for that LOL :p

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2879]PeterPanAndWendy[/MENTION] That's a good policy . I found out what they were because there was a spider identification poster at my local farm store. There was a giant picture of these little invaders I've been kindly evicting from my bathroom.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Wow, I didn't realize that the Brown Recluse was that far north. We have them here in Florida and their bite is nasty.

Maybe you did get bit because you don't project a fear and they knew it.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Thank goodness you weren't bitten. We have them all over the place here in Ohio. Spiders are my worst fear so I have to break out the hazmat suit every time I see one. I also get those monstrous wolf spiders in my bathroom. I swear they eyes glow green :eek:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I can't deal with nasty spiders! I smoosh em when I see em. Even those poor daddy long legs. GAROSSSSS!

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] Hmm maybe I misunderstood? Idk they were brown with an upside down fiddle on their back? I sure hope I'm wrong.. As for not getting bit I think it was just dumb luck . I've done it all my life and never been bitten .

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
There are brown recluse in your area, just like in Missouri and Kentucky. I also think it was dumb luck lol. If you want to relocate them and not kill, may I suggest a paper plate and a cup to trap them? lol I, however, am not that nice and would rather just smoosh it.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] Hmm maybe I misunderstood? Idk they were brown with an upside down fiddle on their back? I sure hope I'm wrong.. As for not getting bit I think it was just dumb luck . I've done it all my life and never been bitten .

No, you have it right. I just never heard of them until Florida. Wisconsin and Michigan must be too far north.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I kind of look at it as....If your outside and I'm in your territory I'll leave you alone (unless you're on me), but if you come on MY turf and want to pester/hurt me and mine, well you got another thing coming buster! :nonono:

L

Lucy-licious

Oh my Gish.... I hate spiders ans scream like a 2 year old when I see one......and we don't have poisonous ones here. :whew:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
LMBO..... that is good stuff, right there! Jenn, you crack me up!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
tHIS SPIDER..? YOu had This spider in your home..? Look at the size of its Belly ..! It looks like it eats more than our bullies.! :rofl:

250px-Brown-recluse-2-edit.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@dozersmama

Ok, We're gonna need you to Pick one up and examine its eyes.... Does it have 8 eyes or just 6 ?

"
Since the violin pattern is not diagnostic, and other spiders may have similar markings (such as cellar spiders and pirate spiders), for more assurance in identification it is imperative to examine the eyes. Most spiders have eight eyes; recluse spiders have six eyes arranged in pairs (dyads) with one median pair and two lateral pairs."

Let us know what you find..... make this inspection BEFORE squashing it okay.! :ROFL:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online