Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Question Want Best Desktop Computer for the Money

So my home computer in on the verge of commiting suicide.
    Rather than reinstalling windows on it so it'll run like new I really want to buy a new
    one. Something with 8gb of Memory and one of the newer processors....

I want to spend under $700 (tower only)

Is there something out there that someone could recommend from experience...
    Someone here at work told me to stay away from Lenovos...
    Any input is appreciated...

thanks !

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Want Best Desktop Computer for the Money

No input here ..... but will be watching this thread closely because our computer is now almost 6 years old and I think it too will be making a suicide pact with your computer!!!

Real Name
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

@JAKEISGREAT hey missy.... how come my name is not Glowing in LIME .. I went to the Bully Market and purchased the username Glow feature but I got nuttin.! Would you know?

PD: oh never mind... I just read it is not viewable with Internet Explorer....
    Last edited by Jack Daniels; 08-09-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Adding text

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    @JAKEISGREAT hey missy.... how come my name is not Glowing in LIME .. I went to the Bully Market and purchased the username Glow feature but I got nuttin.! Would you know?

Ohhhhhh...it's GLOWING all right!! Like nuclear waste!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@BruceP....he's pretty knowledgable of deals..and computers!

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I am so computer stupid, but I have a son that is a genius. I am probably going to say this wrong, but I bought a new desktop pc last year, it is a Dell-Insperon that my son recommended for me, from Best Buy, it was around the range you are talking... or I think less. I have loved it. I already had a 19 inch flat screen monitor so I just had to buy the tower too. I am very pleased with my computer, IF and I mean IF I am telling you right, lol, I do know it is a Dell because I am looking at the tower

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

IF you have your own monitor, wireless keyboard, and mouse the Mini Mac at $599 cant be beat. Has most the features of the full sized Mac's except is lets you use the things you already have. People always make the mistake of replacing everything when all they need is a new box. But, If you have $1100 the iMac is the machine.

But what do I know.... that's just my cent and a half.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Ohhhhhh...it's GLOWING all right!! Like nuclear waste!
    you so set yourself up for that slap from becky!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Yes i did..

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    you so set yourself up for that slap from becky!
    Yes i did..

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Stick to any named brand PC I.E. Dell, HP, Lenovo (these are 3 quality machines... Lenovo is the old IBM Brand, I worked for IBM for 16 years, and they are a good brand)

Stay away from E-machines, and Gateways -

Biggest mistake people make buying a new PC is OVER Buying - go to DELL or HP website, and look at their PC's and compare.
    if you are NOT gaming and NOT doing heavy Multimedia - buy one of the less powerful machines.

Keep this in mind. The latest and the greatest will cost you the greatest -

When comparison shopping keep in mind the following

RAM is Memory, usually 2, 4, 6 or 8 Gig - I recommend with Windows 7 having 6 to 8 Gig.

Storage is Hard Drive Space 500 Gig or the newer ones have 1 TB (1000 Gig = 1 TB)

CPU or Processor (this is where they get you at) the faster the processor the more expensive it is, and the 'lastest and greatest'

If you do NOT need the bells and whistles DONT BUY THEM. If you do not need Microsoft Office Professional, then dont let them package it on your new PC - 'Oh its included in the price... ' Sorry NOTHING is FREE it all costs SOMETHING - if you have a newer monitor, just buy the 'Box' or the 'Tower' if you have an older monitor, then you might want to buy a package that includes a monitor -

Are you going to need Service and Support ? yes? then stick with Best Buy, or HP.com or Dell.com because they service what they sell. you dont need the service and support? then shop at Wal-mart (Believe it or not! LOL)
    Extended warranties? *NO* unless you are buying a Laptop

Want to get the MOST bang for the Buck? look at REFURBISHED on the Dell or HP websites - FULL Warranties, and deeply discounted.
    If I buy a PC and I dont like the color (or whatever) and return it, they CAN NOT RE-SELL IT AS 'NEW'

Lastly Windows 8 is coming out soon, PC's you buy today, make SURE they come with a Window's 8 Upgrade or will be Window's 8 compatible. Further Questions? - drop me a PM I dont mind going to the Dell or HP site and sending you a specific machine, if you know what you want to use it for. 95% of the people OVER BUY - they have functions they will never use or need.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella & Tyke the Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Stick to any named brand PC I.E. Dell, HP, Lenovo (these are 3 quality machines... Lenovo is the old IBM Brand, I worked for IBM for 16 years, and they are a good brand)

Stay away from E-machines, and Gateways -

Biggest mistake people make buying a new PC is OVER Buying - go to DELL or HP website, and look at their PC's and compare.
    if you are NOT gaming and NOT doing heavy Multimedia - buy one of the less powerful machines.

Keep this in mind. The latest and the greatest will cost you the greatest -

When comparison shopping keep in mind the following

RAM is Memory, usually 2, 4, 6 or 8 Gig - I recommend with Windows 7 having 6 to 8 Gig.

Storage is Hard Drive Space 500 Gig or the newer ones have 1 TB (1000 Gig = 1 TB)

CPU or Processor (this is where they get you at) the faster the processor the more expensive it is, and the 'lastest and greatest'

If you do NOT need the bells and whistles DONT BUY THEM. If you do not need Microsoft Office Professional, then dont let them package it on your new PC - 'Oh its included in the price... ' Sorry NOTHING is FREE it all costs SOMETHING - if you have a newer monitor, just buy the 'Box' or the 'Tower' if you have an older monitor, then you might want to buy a package that includes a monitor -

Are you going to need Service and Support ? yes? then stick with Best Buy, or HP.com or Dell.com because they service what they sell. you dont need the service and support? then shop at Wal-mart (Believe it or not! LOL)
    Extended warranties? *NO* unless you are buying a Laptop

Want to get the MOST bang for the Buck? look at REFURBISHED on the Dell or HP websites - FULL Warranties, and deeply discounted.
    If I buy a PC and I dont like the color (or whatever) and return it, they CAN NOT RE-SELL IT AS 'NEW'

Lastly Windows 8 is coming out soon, PC's you buy today, make SURE they come with a Window's 8 Upgrade or will be Window's 8 compatible. Further Questions? - drop me a PM I dont mind going to the Dell or HP site and sending you a specific machine, if you know what you want to use it for. 95% of the people OVER BUY - they have functions they will never use or need.

I agree with most of RaRett's post. Except the best buy part. Too much bundling and geek squad is too expensive. Instead ask around for help, setup type stuff. Co-worker's/neighbor's teenage kid?

Most ppl can live without MS Office, like libreoffice for free.

Refurbs can be good but not too old. Definitely stay away from compaq, hp, gateway, and e-machines. Lenovo are good comps. I prefer Dell and Macs, though Macs can $$$$!

10+ years of IT. PM me if you need a contact of a very good refurb vendor or have q's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads