Want Best Desktop Computer for the Money

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
So my home computer in on the verge of commiting suicide.
Rather than reinstalling windows on it so it'll run like new I really want to buy a new
one. Something with 8gb of Memory and one of the newer processors....

I want to spend under $700 (tower only)

Is there something out there that someone could recommend from experience...
Someone here at work told me to stay away from Lenovos...
Any input is appreciated...

thanks !

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
No input here ..... but will be watching this thread closely because our computer is now almost 6 years old and I think it too will be making a suicide pact with your computer!!!

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@JAKEISGREAT hey missy.... how come my name is not Glowing in LIME .. I went to the Bully Market and purchased the username Glow feature but I got nuttin.! :nope: Would you know?

PD: oh never mind... I just read it is not viewable with Internet Explorer....

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am so computer stupid, but I have a son that is a genius. I am probably going to say this wrong, but I bought a new desktop pc last year, it is a Dell-Insperon that my son recommended for me, from Best Buy, it was around the range you are talking... or I think less. I have loved it. I already had a 19 inch flat screen monitor so I just had to buy the tower too. I am very pleased with my computer, IF and I mean IF I am telling you right, lol, I do know it is a Dell because I am looking at the tower :ROFL:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
IF you have your own monitor, wireless keyboard, and mouse the Mini Mac at $599 cant be beat. Has most the features of the full sized Mac's except is lets you use the things you already have. People always make the mistake of replacing everything when all they need is a new box. But, If you have $1100 the iMac is the machine.

But what do I know.... that's just my cent and a half. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@JAKEISGREAT hey missy.... how come my name is not Glowing in LIME .. I went to the Bully Market and purchased the username Glow feature but I got nuttin.! :nope: Would you know?

PD: oh never mind... I just read it is not viewable with Internet Explorer....

Ohhhhhh...it's GLOWING all right!! Like nuclear waste! :ROFL: :ROFL:

:ROFL2: you so set yourself up for that slap from becky! :LMAO:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Stick to any named brand PC I.E. Dell, HP, Lenovo (these are 3 quality machines... Lenovo is the old IBM Brand, I worked for IBM for 16 years, and they are a good brand)

Stay away from E-machines, and Gateways -

Biggest mistake people make buying a new PC is OVER Buying - go to DELL or HP website, and look at their PC's and compare.
if you are NOT gaming and NOT doing heavy Multimedia - buy one of the less powerful machines.

Keep this in mind. The latest and the greatest will cost you the greatest -

When comparison shopping keep in mind the following

RAM is Memory, usually 2, 4, 6 or 8 Gig - I recommend with Windows 7 having 6 to 8 Gig.

Storage is Hard Drive Space 500 Gig or the newer ones have 1 TB (1000 Gig = 1 TB)

CPU or Processor (this is where they get you at) the faster the processor the more expensive it is, and the 'lastest and greatest'

If you do NOT need the bells and whistles DONT BUY THEM. If you do not need Microsoft Office Professional, then dont let them package it on your new PC - 'Oh its included in the price... ' Sorry NOTHING is FREE it all costs SOMETHING - if you have a newer monitor, just buy the 'Box' or the 'Tower' if you have an older monitor, then you might want to buy a package that includes a monitor -

Are you going to need Service and Support ? yes? then stick with Best Buy, or HP.com or Dell.com because they service what they sell. you dont need the service and support? then shop at Wal-mart (Believe it or not! LOL)
Extended warranties? *NO* unless you are buying a Laptop

Want to get the MOST bang for the Buck? look at REFURBISHED on the Dell or HP websites - FULL Warranties, and deeply discounted.
If I buy a PC and I dont like the color (or whatever) and return it, they CAN NOT RE-SELL IT AS 'NEW'

Lastly Windows 8 is coming out soon, PC's you buy today, make SURE they come with a Window's 8 Upgrade or will be Window's 8 compatible. Further Questions? - drop me a PM I dont mind going to the Dell or HP site and sending you a specific machine, if you know what you want to use it for. 95% of the people OVER BUY - they have functions they will never use or need.

:)

SENSEI

Aug 4, 2012
Coachella Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella & Tyke the Frenchie
Stick to any named brand PC I.E. Dell, HP, Lenovo (these are 3 quality machines... Lenovo is the old IBM Brand, I worked for IBM for 16 years, and they are a good brand)

Stay away from E-machines, and Gateways -

Biggest mistake people make buying a new PC is OVER Buying - go to DELL or HP website, and look at their PC's and compare.
if you are NOT gaming and NOT doing heavy Multimedia - buy one of the less powerful machines.

Keep this in mind. The latest and the greatest will cost you the greatest -

When comparison shopping keep in mind the following

RAM is Memory, usually 2, 4, 6 or 8 Gig - I recommend with Windows 7 having 6 to 8 Gig.

Storage is Hard Drive Space 500 Gig or the newer ones have 1 TB (1000 Gig = 1 TB)

CPU or Processor (this is where they get you at) the faster the processor the more expensive it is, and the 'lastest and greatest'

If you do NOT need the bells and whistles DONT BUY THEM. If you do not need Microsoft Office Professional, then dont let them package it on your new PC - 'Oh its included in the price... ' Sorry NOTHING is FREE it all costs SOMETHING - if you have a newer monitor, just buy the 'Box' or the 'Tower' if you have an older monitor, then you might want to buy a package that includes a monitor -

Are you going to need Service and Support ? yes? then stick with Best Buy, or HP.com or Dell.com because they service what they sell. you dont need the service and support? then shop at Wal-mart (Believe it or not! LOL)
Extended warranties? *NO* unless you are buying a Laptop

Want to get the MOST bang for the Buck? look at REFURBISHED on the Dell or HP websites - FULL Warranties, and deeply discounted.
If I buy a PC and I dont like the color (or whatever) and return it, they CAN NOT RE-SELL IT AS 'NEW'

Lastly Windows 8 is coming out soon, PC's you buy today, make SURE they come with a Window's 8 Upgrade or will be Window's 8 compatible. Further Questions? - drop me a PM I dont mind going to the Dell or HP site and sending you a specific machine, if you know what you want to use it for. 95% of the people OVER BUY - they have functions they will never use or need.

:)

I agree with most of RaRett's post. Except the best buy part. Too much bundling and geek squad is too expensive. Instead ask around for help, setup type stuff. Co-worker's/neighbor's teenage kid?

Most ppl can live without MS Office, like libreoffice for free.

Refurbs can be good but not too old. Definitely stay away from compaq, hp, gateway, and e-machines. Lenovo are good comps. I prefer Dell and Macs, though Macs can $$$$!

10+ years of IT. PM me if you need a contact of a very good refurb vendor or have q's.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I just bought a new desktop from Costco! It's a ZT Systems PC, and it has lifetime support with agents that are in the USA. The price was really great!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'd stay away from hp since I know a few people whose motherboards have gone kaput when their machines were reasonably young, both laptops and towers. Dell is the best in terms of reliability and price. Macs are great too, even the minis.

I have a lenovo laptop now, and have to admit that it's not as sturdy as I remembered them to be. Love their full-sized keyboards, can't be beat! Don't have experience with their towers though.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I've been an analyst working on computers over 20+ years. Support windows daily and my career depends on it. At home I use all mac computers and would be hard pressed to do anything but.

Been there done it all, Asus, hp, Dell, Acer, clones home built a number of gaming unit clones etc get yourself an imac and never look back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.