Any Horse Folk?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I know we've talked horses in the "Other Pets" section before. Does anybody know much about half leasing a horse? Looking into a half lease on an arabian for my daughter and need a rundown of what I need to know and look for! :)

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
We have 3 horses now. I would be sure exactly what costs they expect you to cover such as vet expenses, shoes, and trimming. Will she be showing? You may want to ask about hauling as well if you don't have your own trailer and if they charge for that. Some people who lease also have a specified time the lessee can ride, etc. What do they expect as far as general care and stall cleaning? We just got an arabian for our son to barrel race with and she is FAST! They tend to be very excitable and high spirited by nature, which is exactly what we wanted! I can talk horses for days LOL. We just taught our foundation quarter horse to bow yesterday. Here is a pic of him doing it!

221399_466890283330421_1049386577_o.jpg

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The lease is pretty specific. We don't cover any of her vet expenses and we don't clean up after her or take care of her stall. She stays on their property and my daughter gets to ride 3 days a week (with one of those days being a lesson day given by them). My daughter is only 4 so she won't be showing her but the option is there when she is older. We are starting young so she can excel in this if she takes a liking to riding.

I'd love to see pics of your Arabian too! :)

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
Here is Belle 336377_456291627723620_277380738_o.jpg We have a show friday night so I will make sure to get pictures of them riding the barrels to show you!! I think it's great that you are starting her young. By the time she is old enough to show, she will be a pro!! Our horses have been therapy for my son. Before we got them, he was an angry boy without much direction in his life. Now, he is a straight A student and president of his 4H club. You can see when he rides that all is right with the world. Congratulations and enjoy!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oooh she's beautiful. Can't wait to see show pics! :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Leasing a horse I have never heard of that. I have been out of the horse game for 10 yrs now! I did it from
5-18 yrs old, and loved every minute of it. Barrels. Poles, goat tying and roping. Miss it every day :(

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] It's been 14 years since I've ridden (waaay too heavy now LOL). My daughter is getting into it though. Leasing a horse is great because depending on how in depth your lease is...you can still ride and interact without living in the country or paying for boarding. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online