Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This happened last night about 6 miles from where I live. :( 12 dead...:cry:

usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12850048-12-shot-dead-at-dark-knight-rises-screening-in-aurora-colorado?lite

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

A mass shooting inside a suburban Denver movie theater has left 14 people dead and dozens of others injured. KUSA's Jake Larson, NBC's Pete Williams and NBC's Kristen Welker report for TODAY.

By NBC News' Pete Williams and NBCNews.com staff

Updated at 8:58 a.m. ET: Twelve people were killed and at least 50 others wounded early Friday when a gunman wearing a bullet-proof vest opened fire during a midnight screening of the latest Batman movie near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.

A three-month-old child and a six-year-old girl were among those treated, according to reports.
Authorities said the gunman had appeared at the front of the theater during the film and released a canister of tear gas. Witnesses told reporters that the gunfire erupted during a shootout scene in "The Dark Knight Rises".
Jennifer Seeger, who was inside the Aurora, Colo., movie theater where a gunman opened fire early Friday, describes the scene of the shooting as "mass chaos."

"It was mass chaos," witness Jennifer Seeger told TODAY. The gunman shot the ceiling and then "he threw in the gas can, and then I knew it was real."
"Everyone's going for the door and then everyone starts saying, 'no, he's going to shoot people going for the door,' and he did," she recalled. "They're trying to escape, and he shot those people as well."
Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates initially told journalists that 14 people had been killed but the figure was later lowered to 12.
A suspect was apprehended in the shopping center's parking lot, Oates said. He was named as 24-year-old James Holmes, two federal officials from different agencies told NBC News.
The incident occurred in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center, police told NBC News. Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

NBC station KUSA-Denver cited a witness as seeing a black-clad 6-foot-tall man wearing a riot helmet, goggles and bullet-proof vest.

However, many people attended the film dressed in Batman-related costumes.

Watch live video from KUSA

Witnesses said the gunman entered the theater through an emergency exit door.
The suspect was found in possession of a gas mask, Oates said. Ammunition was found in the suspect's car, police said.
The shooter had three weapons -- an assault-type rifle and two handguns, officials told NBC News. Holmes' car has Tennessee plates but authorities say he was living locally.

Police name alleged gunman in Colorado theater shooting

Police said there was no evidence of additional suspects.

"We're pretty confident he acted alone," officer Frank Fania told TODAY.

At least 14 people were killed early Friday when at least one gunman opened fire at a midnight screening of the summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colo. NBC's Matt Lauer reports.

Holmes's apartment building in north Aurora was evacuated after he made a statement to police about possible explosives at his home, Oates said. Local and federal authorities later entered the apartment.

An FBI official told NBC News that the agency was working with local authorities on the investigation, but that there was no early indication of a link to terrorism. Holmes was not on any federal law-enforcement watch lists, Williams reported.
President Barack Obama had been notified of the incident by counterterrorism chief John Brennan, KUSA said.

In a statement, Obama said: "We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family."

'Get us some damn gas masks'

Police raiding the theater in the hunt for the suspect had to ask for gas masks.

"Get us some damn gas masks for theater 9, we can't get in it," one officer radioed back to emergency dispatch during the operation, according to an excerpt aired on KUSA.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Sky News that bullets had passed from one theater into an adjoining one.

120720-aurora-dp1-330a.photoblog600.jpg

Karl Gehring / The Denver Post

Aurora Police respond to the shooting at the Century 16 Movie Theater early Friday.

'A lot of children'

Seeger, the eyewitness, told TODAY there were "a lot of children" in the theater.

"When I ... tried to escape, there was a little girl, 12 or 13, just laying lifeless on the stairs," she said.
"I got terrified. I didn't know what to do, like a deer in the headlights. I jumped into the aisle and curled up into a little ball waiting for him to go away," she told TODAY.

More on this story from breakingnews.com

One young man told KUSA that he was in front of the theater with friends when the shooting broke out.
"Next thing you know you hear 'boom' like tear gas, a bomb. ... Then you hear gunshots go off, like a fully automatic weapon. [There were] like 50-60 gunshots," he told KUSA.

The man, who did not give his name, said he heard gunfire continue for at least 20 minutes.

"People were coming out of there screaming, some of the people were coming out of there bleeding. ... People were coming out with their shirts covered in blood," he said.

Another eyewitness, Alex Milano, told KUSA that he "saw at least four, maybe five people limping, slightly wounded. ... I saw one girl covered in blood.

"I don't know whose little girl that was, but my heart goes out to them. ... A cop came walking through the front door ... holding a little girl in his arms and she wasn't moving, she wasn't moving," the young man, whose voiced cracked as he spoke, told KUSA.

'I thought it was pretty much the end of the world'

Salina Jordan, 19, told the Denver Post she saw one girl struck in the cheek and others in the stomach, including a girl who looked to be around 9 years old.

Corbin Dates was inside the Colorado movie theater where a gunman opened fire during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises." He describes the masked gunman dressed in black, saying he first thought the shooting was "a stunt" for the movie, and recalls crawling on the ground to escape to the lobby.

Jordan told the newspaper she saw police carrying bodies out of the theater as well as officers opening fire.
Roland Jones, 28, said he first thought the smoke and sounds of gunshots were all part of the film's special effects.
"I thought it was pretty much the end of the world," Roberts told the Denver Post.

Tammi Stevens, who son was inside the cinema when the shooting started, told the Post he saw a man walk into the theater wearing body armor.

"You let your kids go to a late night movie ... you never think something like this would happen," Stevens told the newspaper.

Police cars transport the wounded

The injured were being transported to several local hospitals, police told NBC.KOA's Stuart said that police officers were taking victims to hospitals in their cars and not waiting for ambulances.

Natalie Goldstein, of Children's Hospital Colorado, said the facility was treating six patients from the shooting, ranging in age from 6 to 31.

PhotoBlog: More images from the scene of the shooting in Aurora

Justin Bentzinger, a house supervisor at the Swedish Medical Center, told NBC News they were treating three patients. Two were in critical condition, the third was in fair condition.

Kalena Wilkinson, a public information officer for Denver Health, said six patients were taken to that hospital, with one in critical condition and the other five in "fair" conditions.

Tracy Weise, of the public relations department at Aurora Medical Center, told NBC News they had treated 15 patients, four of whom have been released. Of those still being treated, four remain in critical condition and three were stable. The conditions of the others remain pending.

Further local coverage from KUSA
Jacque Montgomery, a spokesperson for University of Colorado Hospital, told NBC News that they were treating 20 patients from the shooting.

At least three people had been treated for chemical exposure, KUSA reported.
Hundreds of witnesses who have not been injured have been taken to Gateway High School for a debriefing, local media reported.

Friday's incident was the worst mass shooting in the United States since the 2007 shooting on the Virginia Tech campus, in which 33 people, including the gunman, died.

It was the worst mass shooting in Colorado since the Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999. Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at the school in the Denver suburb of Littleton, about 15 miles west of Aurora, killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

Movie's Paris premiere canceled

"The Dark Knight Rises," starring Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway, is the latest in the popular Batman action movie franchise. Friday was its international premiere.

Warner Bros. canceled the Paris premiere of the film, which was scheduled for Friday evening, the Hollywood Reporter said.
"Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time," the studio said in a statement.

NBC News' David Wyllie, Daniel Strieff, Ian Johnston, F. Brinley Bruton, NBC station KUSA and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This is breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I saw this, this morning at 5 and was shocked. It is so sad.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I woke up to read this on twitter. I texted you about 30min ago...just wanted to know that you're safe since you live so close.
So senseless and tragic.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Such a senseless act.

I sent a text to my brother who lives near there as soon as I read the headlines this morning. His response back was, "I'm good, who is this?". Brothers!!! So glad he is safe though.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I woke up to read this on twitter. I texted you about 30min ago...just wanted to know that you're safe since you live so close.
So senseless and tragic.
I didn't see your text. Off to go look. It's about 6 miles from here. Not one of the better areas (used to be though) but that's here nor there since this can happen anywhere.

The suspect's apartment if Booby Trapped according to a recent FBI press conference.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Such a senseless act.

I sent a text to my brother who lives near there as soon as I read the headlines this morning. His response back was, "I'm good, who is this?". Brothers!!! So glad he is safe though.
LOL Laura! I didn't know you had a brother that lives here. :up:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I saw this in the morning news. It is so sad, It is unbelievable how people can be. Remember the mass shooting at a McDonalds in the early 80's? You just can't go anywhere without a risk. So sad.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I saw this in the morning news. It is so sad, It is unbelievable how people can be. Remember the mass shooting at a McDonalds in the early 80's? You just can't go anywhere without a risk. So sad.
I don't remember that one but I do recall the killings at Hollywood Videos in Albuquerque, that was gruesome. I lived there when that happened. :(

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Woke up to this terrible news story and my heart has been heavy ever since.
Oh if only superheroes were real...we could really use one now. <sigh>
Praying for the victims and their families.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's Armageddon I tell ya! Some times I wonder???? What the Hell is next?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
LOL Laura! I didn't know you had a brother that lives here. :up:

Yep, he's in Englewood. Since I'm applying for residency in Canada, I'm not allowed to travel out of the great white north. But once all my visa stuff gets finalized, I'm definitely going to be visiting my brother... If he remembers who I am! And If Wilson happens to go missing around that time, well, that probably means he decided to come live in Montreal with me. :p

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep, he's in Englewood. Since I'm applying for residency in Canada, I'm not allowed to travel out of the great white north. But once all my visa stuff gets finalized, I'm definitely going to be visiting my brother... If he remembers who I am! And If Wilson happens to go missing around that time, well, that probably means he decided to come live in Montreal with me. :p
I work in Englewood. :) You MUST let me know when you come down!!! If and when you're allowed out of the GREAT White North that is, lol.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson can come VISIT you because he's a big PITA arse and you'll want to return him. :rofl:

Last edited:

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Wilson can come VISIT you because he's a big PITA arse and you'll want to return him. :rolf:

Lol, I won't believe it! Emma is clearly the PITA in that family.
And yes, I will definitely let you know so I won't go through squishy bully withdrawal... I mean so I can meet you too of course!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I would like to say something about the Aurora Police Dept. in CO They are a first class department. Well done officers

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online