Paint Color Advice

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am redecorating a room in my house, which was formerly used as an office/spare room. After I got rid of my desktop computer, the desk became a dumping ground for junk so I recently got rid of a desk, chair, file cabinet and am thinking of putting my current queen size bed in the room and getting myself a new bed.

So, I would like to use this room exclusively as a guest bedroom.

My question is what color are people painting their rooms now? I haven't painted in ages but this room needs a redo badly. It's currently dark blue, which I used to love and now I loathe. The room isn't that big but it has a large sunburst window that allows a TON of light in the room.

I have a photo below (please excuse the clutter!) - what color do you think? I'm at a loss. (My carpet is a sandy beige)

Thanks!

Room1.jpg

L

Lucy-licious

Well over here wallpaper is the in thing now...papering a feature wall then painting the rest neutral shades. Colours that are popular at the moment are a turquoise, mauve, lime green, bright pink and also black and white. Or you could go neutral with a white chocolate colour and add splashes of vibrant colour with the bed linen, cushions and other accessories. That way it's easy to change when you get fed up.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I love browns! Especially with white woodwork.
d8a5fc6d-0e06-0597.jpg

My guest room is a goldy yellow..not usually a favorite of mine but is cheery
d8a5fc6d-0e75-b366.jpg

My room is a sage green..very calming
d8a5fc6d-0ec2-5f54.jpg

Is this too much info? :ROFL:

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Love all of those Becky. I am loving that gray blue that is everywhere. Like a light blue but not baby blue. That is the color I plan on painting my living area with chocolate wall accent. I love the color I painted pages room which is more like a caramel and looks great with white trim as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
As a guest room it probably isn't going to get as much room as the rest of the house, so it probably isn't going to need painting as much as the rest of the house. So I would avoid going with something that may go out of fashion or style, because it will become outdated and yet the room won't be "ready" to re-do.

So I would paint the walls ivory ... which will compliment the beige. That way all your accessories such as bedding, bed cushions and accessories can be the "pop" in the room. And as you get bored you can just change all those things very easily.

Also ... no idea if you are considering moving in the next two or three years, but a guest room that is painted ivory is going to appeal to anybody and everybody because it will be a blank canvas.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As a guest room it probably isn't going to get as much room as the rest of the house, so it probably isn't going to need painting as much as the rest of the house. So I would avoid going with something that may go out of fashion or style, because it will become outdated and yet the room won't be "ready" to re-do.

So I would paint the walls ivory ... which will compliment the beige. That way all your accessories such as bedding, bed cushions and accessories can be the "pop" in the room. And as you get bored you can just change all those things very easily.

Also ... no idea if you are considering moving in the next two or three years, but a guest room that is painted ivory is going to appeal to anybody and everybody because it will be a blank canvas.

Good advice.

We have textured walls in our house, which are a PAIN to paint, and I can see this room not seeing a lot of use so I think a neutral is the way to go and, as you mention, adding pop with some accessories.

I do love that brown color in [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] first photo. I think it'd look good with my rugs too...although those will need to be replaced soon. Darn cats!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Pick out your comforter/bedspread or quilt and drapes. Then choose a color from them that you want to draw attention to.
Of course this only works if you pick something with pattern of different colors.

Ok now you know how I did mine. :agree:

This is the quickest picture I could find to show our bedroom wall colors. The room is three shades of green off of the same color swatch. Light and middle on the wall stripes and darker on the ceiling with white trim and crown moldings (the white has a tinge of green). We did it about 5 years ago and it still makes me smile to wake up to this room daily. I picked the colors to coordinate with a quilt I have yet to finish. Top is made but I just haven't gotten into the quilting part.

BedroomWalls004.jpg

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I agree with [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION], figure out the bedding first. I love Pinterest and get ideas from that all the time.

I had twin beds to do in my guest room and it is very hard to find nice, adult, guest looking twin bedding. So when I did, I was lucky it was in the colors I like anyway....deep browns, reds, grey and yellow. I painted one wall the yellow the others gray and did the rugs and drapes in the reds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am attracted to autumn colors... yellows, browns, pumpkin.... i found curtains i loved and worked the whole house around them

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.