Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am selling a crib on Craigslist..... and I am pretty sure another member here was selling something on Craigslist and got a message that is JUST like the one below.... was it [MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION]?

I told Chip nope it has got to be a scam because I saw it on EBN! Funny we learn from each other stuff that does not even pertain to bulldogs!

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. I am interested and will be buying from you, so please kindly withdraw the advert from CRAIGSLIST. Please be informed that I will be paying with a certified check or money order from my Bank as I just moved here to Little Rock, AR on a job transfer. I will also need the following details so I will know where to mail the payment to;

1.Name to be on the payment
2.Home address
3.Cell phone #

I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be delivered within 2-3 working days. By the way, my phone number is (501) 291-0635. I am always available, but if I do not answer the phone, please leave me a voice mail or send me a text message and I will respond as soon as I get it. Hope to get a reply from you soon. Cheers!

Rodney

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I like Craigslist but it can be such a pain. I was giving away a perfectly good desk for FREE - just take it! It took me 3 days and about 100 e-mails to finally get someone to pick it up after 2 other people flaked out.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Coincidentally, I recently posted a set of barstools for sale on Craigslist, and two days ago, I got this reply which sounds very similar to the one [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] got:
[FONT=georgia,serif][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]
Hi,[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=georgia,serif][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry and sorry for the late reply, I am quite comfortable with the condition of the item ,I would mine adding extra $50 to your asking price for keeping it in my favor. I am paying you by check or Money Order, and it will take 3 to 4 days for payment to get to you. I would have loved to come take a look at it but I am presently on my business trip but i will have my Secretary handle the payment on my behalf. As per pick-up,You don't need to worry about that I will make arrange for the pick-up myself after payment has been received and cashed by you. Kindly reply with your details on where the Payment should be send to. I will let you know how i intend to pick it up immediately you receive the payment.[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=georgia,serif][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Here is the information needed to issued out the payment below:[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=georgia,serif][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Full Name:[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Home mailing Address not P.O.BOX PLEASE:[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]City :[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]States :[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Zip/Postal Code :[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Phone number : (Home or Office and Cell)[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]NOTE:[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]I would appreciate it if you can take the posting off CRAIGSLIST today and consider it sold to me.[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Thank you and Have a Nice Day.today.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just the wording and "slickness" of the response was a red flag. Also, no way am i going to provide him w/my home address and other demographic info. I deleted my ad since then b/c it spooked me.

I love Craigslist tho...have bought several things thru there in the last two months.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Yes, I got a message like this. We were trying to sell my hubby's Camaro.:yes: It is a scam

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I guess they must be trying to get your info for either mailing lists or the dreaded identity theft!! Yikes!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I got a phishing email from PayPal the other day telling me I bought a 8mg ipod. I was like, why would Mike buy something and at least not let me know. It wanted me to click on the link and of course log in after that. I turned the emial over to PayPal instead.

Here's a recent article similar to what I read on MSNBC the other day as to why scam emails are written in bad English.
http://www.quora.com/Scams/Why-are-email-scams-written-in-broken-English

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
always heard people getting these but never actually saw one....

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I get these from my Scentsy web site. They order about $1000 of items ask me to ship it out and they will send me a ck...LOL

I just tell them to go order it directly off my site. I feel sorry for those that don't know a good Scam, I can see how naive people could get trapped.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The first guy we got with this was when we were selling our leather sofa and loveseat. The dude that answered said he was on his honeymoon, wanted to surprise new wife by having it there when they got home....then the whole cashiers check/moving company spiel.

We didn't buy into it.....First off many honeymooners do you suppose are checking out craigs list ads. :rolleyes:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I am pretty sure that NO ONE on Craigslist talks that formally. LOL. Most of the people I've dealt with can barely type and when you meet them in person are less than favorable.
I love Craigslist but it can be a pain. I've never gotten any scam emails like that though.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I am pretty sure that NO ONE on Craigslist talks that formally. LOL. Most of the people I've dealt with can barely type and when you meet them in person are less than favorable.
I love Craigslist but it can be a pain. I've never gotten any scam emails like that though.

Yes...sad, to say but beware of complete sentences and stiff politeness....it's just not part of the usual vernacular....English teacher in me is a little sad :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.