click it or ticket

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
While I was at the vets this morning, they were hanging signs all over the office. Here in New Jersey it is now illegal to have your pet in the car without a seat belt. Apparently it's been illegal in a couple of other states for a while already.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-06-05/news/32060933_1_animal-cruelty-pets-cats-and-dogs
New Jersey is cracking down on pets in transit — and says “click it or ticket” now applies to cats and dogs, too.
The SPCA and Motor Vehicle Commision teamed up at a public education event last week in the Garden State to talk about the dangers of transporting animals without proper restraint .
New Jersey is the only state where driving with pets loose in the car is a violation of animal cruelty law. Drivers cited for failing to properly secure their petcan face a ticket of between $250 and $1,000 and as much as six months in jail.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Pets hanging out the window, riding in the back of a truck or curling up on the driver’s lap are among ticketable offenses under the law.
Animals roaming free in a car are not only a distraction to the driver, they can fly out of the vehicle in a crash or sudden stop and cause a lot of damage , Robert Sinclair Jr., spokesman for AAA New York, told the Daily News.
Lack of attention while driving is the no. 1 cause of traffic deaths in the U.S., Sinclair said, with between a quarter and a third of all crashes a result of some sort of distraction.
According to a 2010 AAA survey, 20 percent of people admitted to driving with pets loose in the car and 31 percent said doing so was a distraction.
"It certainly makes sense from a safety aspect,” Sinclair said. “It's probably one of those flaws in the law that most states haven't dealt with."
Dogs should be retrained in harnesses that click into the car’s seat belt buckle, and cats should go in a carrier that’s also buckled down, officials say.
Only a few other states are cracking down on pets in vehicles. Arizona, Connecticut and Maine can charge a driver for an unrestrained pet under distracted driving laws. Hawaii specifically prohibits driving with a pet in your lap.
SPCA spokesman Mike Stanton told the Daily News that out of roughly 5,000 animal cruelty citations a year, only 10 are for improper transit.
“We are not actively cruising the roadways of New Jersey looking to write people up,” he said. “Just be sensitive to the safety of the animal and your own safety when you have the animal in your car.”

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I think this is good also! I let Brutus hang out the window if Im in the passenger seat and holding his leash and we are the side streets doing no more than 30-35...I now need to make sure he is strapped in everytime we go somewhere (everyday)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is good, but does me no good for Banks....... she HATES the car and hides under the seat and/or dashboard so the cop will never see her :D

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This is good, but does me no good for Banks....... she HATES the car and hides under the seat and/or dashboard so the cop will never see her :D

:lol: Brutus may not like the car now that he cant walk around the back seat

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:lol: Brutus may not like the car now that he cant walk around the back seat

LOL... he is going to cry the whole time. MOM -- GET THIS THING OFF ME!!!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
hmmmm that is interesting...i have no idea how i would restrain jameson...i have the backseat folded down so that the 2 can lie out when i have them both...they don't hang out the window but hmmmmmm

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I crack the window for Jackson, but my husband will put the window 1/2 down and Jackson will be hanging out of it! I tell him its dangerous, but he doesn't seem to think so. I don't think its a law down here, but I can see how restraining them might help them and everyone else if there is an accident.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online