JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Got off early on Friday, headed to my favorite garden store, Tagawa Gardens, and went back on Sat. am to finish my plant shopping. Got 4 Standing Ovations (they're a shrub that grows 15' high), 3 feather grasses, and 2 flowering vines called Shimmer (pretty purple flowers). Moved a whole bunch of rock as we needed to reconstruct an area where we lost our two Aspen trees last year. Good thing though as they were too close to the house and right were the basement window well is. I also layed 23 bags of bark. I stepped on the metal rake and it came flying up and hit me on the elbow. I have a huge bruise now and other bruises on my feet from shoveling. I'm wiped out and so sore but boy does part of my yard better now.

The area we redid.

ab9f3f3d.jpg

1cd5335e.jpg

59972386.jpg

8b6f8bc0.jpg

1cd5335e.jpg

The finished result.
2861acdd.jpg

Mike also moved the bark under our deck and replaced it with a 2.5' border of rock. This should control our three hooligans spreading it all over the grass now.

93fa80f3.jpg

1dc7062c.jpg

Lari, the front yard border I started two years ago. It's 65' long and 2.5 to 4' wide in areas. Two years ago I had 2 cu. yards of soil brought in and amended in it by hand with a shovel. Then I let it sit all winter long and planted all the shrubs last year. The two trees I planted a couple of weeks ago. When we moved here 7 years ago our yard was bare, three trees total and no shrubs, plants, nothing. One entire area of our backyard was weeds and thorns. It's grass, plants shrubs and trees now. In total I have planted 81 plants (10 were trees) in the last 7 years. I save all winter long and plant in May. It's my hobby.
Last year's project.
f0bf5492.jpg

0db055c8.jpg

The vines
71e638fb.jpg

My favorite sitting spot
cdd468f5.jpg

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION], [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] (this is why I'm wiped out and sore, lol.) Talk to you in a few. :up:

Now it's off to the lake we go on Wednesday night. :dance: :dance: :dance:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my sis thats so beautiful. id be embarrassed to take a pic of my yard. i havent done anything with it in a few years. that is enviable :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Too bad you still have grass... nice yard except for that little matter. :laugh:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh my sis thats so beautiful. id be embarrassed to take a pic of my yard. i havent done anything with it in a few years. that is enviable :)
Oh get outta here!! I was there I'd smack ya one on the shoulder!! :heart:

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], I like grass!!! :p :p

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy

Aw, come on Cowsmom... take some pix for us... We promise not to laugh................................. much! ;)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Wow [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] that is beautiful! You and hubby did an amazing job! I dont have much in my yard! My fig tree isnt going to be ready until probably next year!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
That's lovely Jeannie! That new stone was a lot of work, but you will be so happy without so much maintenance.

That's why we don't like grass BTW. Once installed keeping up flower beds of perrienials is ever so much easier than mowing often twice a week.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Lovely, and yes I like grass too. I really like the rocks also, but I'd be afraid my buddy's would eat them. You did well.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeannie, you do good work! Very professional! You must have been a landscaper in a previous life!
It's been trial and error. I've lost about 15/20% of what I've planted by planting the wrong plant in the wrong area, lol. I do love working with the dirt, well until I see a bug! :eek:

Thanks all! It's been a work in progress that's taken several years. I have a bird bath too that I really love and can watch the birds drinking or taking a bath out my kitchen window.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.