Snakes

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Anyone have any suggestions on keeping snakes out of the yard? My husband just killed on right next to our porch and the thought that Beef could get bit terrifies me.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I know there are actual snake repellants in a granule form. I'm not sure if they are safe to use around pets though?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ... any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Not really, our backyard is snake free, If we ever see them it is in the front yard. It still scares me though! We have a 6 ft wall around our backyard, then we have the "back back" yard where my bullies don't go. That is where there is a possibility, we have loads of bunnies back there tho so I am thinking not too many snakes. Now the "back back yard" hardly has any bunnies and is empty... So that worries me!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Not really, our backyard is snake free, If we ever see them it is in the front yard. It still scares me though! We have a 6 ft wall around our backyard, then we have the "back back" yard where my bullies don't go. That is where there is a possibility, we have loads of bunnies back there tho so I am thinking not too many snakes. Now the "back back yard" hardly has any bunnies and is empty... So that worries me!
Bunnies are a clear indication there are no snakes around. We see this as a sign when we camp down south, lots of bunnies a good thing, lack of bunnies means snakes. They're are rattlesnakes all over where were at. I know of no known snake deterrent though.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Yikes! I hate snakes! Fortunately here in MI we only have the pesky non venomous kind unless you live farther up north.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] Most good snake repellants start with .4 and end in Cal. ;)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
@JeannieCO Most good snake repellants start with .4 and end in Cal. ;)
I hate snakes and am always on the look out for the rattlers (the babies too). Ace & Orion ran into a rattler a few years back!! :eek: I had one dog on one side and the other on the other side with a coiled up rattler in the middle and I was at least 15/20' away. We were on the bluffs on a walk at the end of our campsite when it happened. Thank gawd my dogs listened to me when I called them to "COME" or they'd have gotten bite. The next year a husky mix got bite in the site next to us. Luckily I carry all the #s/addresses to the local vets there for that very reason so we got them to where they needed to go. The dog survived but $2500 later. The ranger came and that snake was still in the site 1/2 hour later. He relocated it and wouldn't let us kill it. Dang it! I saw a red snake take down a rattler at the shoreline a few years ago too, that was awesome...snake fight.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Ive actually had dogs that were bit by rattlesnakes...not english bulldogs..these were my fathers hunting dogs when I was young. It was just like a common thing...their neck would swell and in a few days theyd be back to normal.
But theyre everywhere where we live..and these were more...hardcore dogs. I'm sure an eb would be no match for a rattler.

I know they sell something called Snake Away..and isnt there a rattlesnake vaccine? Is that safe?

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Ya there is a vaccine u can get its like. 25 bucks. We are getting the babies theirs soon. Rattle snakes are already bad here in tx. Even though we live in town I'm still worried cause they can be anywhere. I just now read a post on fb of a horse getting snake bit :(.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There was an awesome episode of The Dog Whisperer where he had this Snake Deterrent guy come and teach Junior and Daddy to stay away from snakes. Will Smith's wife Jenna was in the episode because she lost one of her dogs to a snake bite. Great episode. I don't know what season it was though. Sorry.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.