Gopher eeek!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of mounds of dirt. My husband has been weeding our slope so I just assumed he had made those piles in the process. Well Monday I noticed a hole in one of the piles. I went to the internet for answers and it recommended gopher traps. I found a trap that had close to 5 stars in reviews so I thought that was the way to go. Got the traps yesterday. Shovel in hand I dug along two separate tunnels and set the traps. Somewhere I read that if you give Gophers gum it kills them so as a backup I put a piece of gum in the traps. Later I read that gum doesn't really do anything to them except maybe give them a toothache. LOL! Anyways...I was really hoping and not hoping at the same time because I don't want to kill a critter but I was worried my dogs would fall in one of their holes and break a leg. Plus my husband has had a partial foot amputation and is very unsteady on his feet and the gopher had already made several tunnels that collapse when you step on one. I got up this morning and went to check and one of the traps had been tripped! I had to gather all my courage and dig up the trap and sure enough it had a gopher. I was elated and then sad as I have never deliberately hurt or killed an animal. I hope it's the only one. :nervous:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... I would so not be able to do it, but you have to do it to make the yard safe

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
When we lived in Corona I had no issue baiting the gophers, they things can do a lot of damage underneath. I found the metal traps that you insert into the holes worked the best. Good riddance I say!

I found watching Wak a Mole first always helped me hunt those pesky critters. :laugh:

L

Lucy-licious

I'd keep the traps in if I were you just in case. I'd have big trouble hurting a caught critter too.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
dinner!!! hah just kidding. maybe if it was a turkey trap

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.