Gardening

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
A Wild Turkey was in our backyard one winter. We didn't actually see it, a neighbor told us. And it's footprints in the snow were huge. Spanned almost bigger than my hand.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A Wild Turkey was in our backyard one winter. We didn't actually see it, a neighbor told us. And it's footprints in the snow were huge. Spanned almost bigger than my hand.

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] i thought you would enjoy seeing this photo bucket slideshow of our gardens last year. http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/LariPett/yard 2011/?albumview=slideshow
There will be major changes in the back this year when we are finished. But the front "structure" is the same. I've planted a bunch of creeping phlox plants and many of the perrienials have really grown in this year, so it's a little different.

I think Bruce plans to start another thread with back yard changes soon, but for now he's just too pooped to do it.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] i thought you would enjoy seeing this photo bucket slideshow of our gardens last year. http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/LariPett/yard 2011/?albumview=slideshow
There will be major changes in the back this year when we are finished. But the front "structure" is the same. I've planted a bunch of creeping phlox plants and many of the perrienials have really grown in this year, so it's a little different.

I think Bruce plans to start another thread with back yard changes soon, but for now he's just too pooped to do it.

I NEVER tire of looking at gardens....my own or other folks'; don't matter! ha ha Thank you for that visual treat. I can see you have put a WHOLE LOTTA work into that yard. Formal garden structures like the compass and the front ovals take WORK to maintain. And a lot of it! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - that pond is a dream come true!

I have a big purple clematis like yours and I thought I lost it this winter....yesterday, I was giving things haircuts and WHA-LA; life on the vine. Tiny life - but life nonetheless. I'm delighted because I inherited that plant with the property. It came up one year out of the blue - what a fun surprise that was. I love the rose too. What one is that (name)? I lost my favorite rose last year; "Mr. Lincoln". :cry: On the happy side, my three other clematis are just about ready to POP flowers open. I'll be sure to take some action shots. I'm sure we're not the only clematis fans on this thread! Thank you for sharing that awesome, awesome slide show. Brilliant!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
We had squash bugs last year...totally killed off most of my pumpkin plants!

That soapy water should work for those guys too. :D Don't let them take your punkins!

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - my sister had a fox that used to visit her yard. She also used to have ducks. You get the picture there. Nature is beautiful -- but so CRUEL sometimes. I simply adore animals and sincerely prefer them in any form to humans - but I cannot watch those Nat Geo shows where lions eat zebras, etc. I just can't. In my special mind, everyone's vegan. :ROFL:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@BruceP

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!

I am just the grunt here... She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me where to dig and I dig.. ;)
Not really, we plan a lot of this together but when it comes to the actual plantings and what to plant where, it's all Lari.
Wait til you see our new tiered "Lighthouse Garden' that we just finished. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That soapy water should work for those guys too. :D Don't let them take your punkins!

@JAKEISGREAT - my sister had a fox that used to visit her yard. She also used to have ducks. You get the picture there. Nature is beautiful -- but so CRUEL sometimes. I simply adore animals and sincerely prefer them in any form to humans - but I cannot watch those Nat Geo shows where lions eat zebras, etc. I just can't. In my special mind, everyone's vegan. :ROFL:

Me Either!! I can't even watch the commercials....even though I know they won't show anything...and oh my...I change the channel when the ASPCA commercials comes on with that song...and those poor pitiful babies..:cry: give me animals over humans..any day!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
OK Garden Thread fans.... I got creative and took some pics yesterday to make a cool slideshow like [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] made. :D

Tagging you too... I know you wouldn't want to miss this [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION]

Enjoy. It's a very short tour. I could have took snaps all afternoon of closeups of flowers. hahahahahahahaha

http://youtu.be/wBKrncSgqxI

Oh...and apologies. Sorry for the slides with the super quick captions. I've never done this before ---- and I've certainly learned something.....! If you like to read, keep your finger on the pause button for a few of the slides......Sorry!

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is a lovely slideshow Vic. Thanks for sharing. When you add toit let me know and I'll come back and watch again and again. :)

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I love your yard! It's so nicely put together and the ponds are amazing. You have some big koi in there! :)

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] you have bleeding hearts! :heart: And I didn't see one single slug! ;)

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I love your yard! It's so nicely put together and the ponds are amazing. You have some big koi in there! :)

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] you have bleeding hearts! :heart: And I didn't see one single slug! ;)
I have three different bleeding hearts in the garden including a white one --- gorgeous - that really needs to be replanted elsewhere. It's in a boggy spot.

The 'Slug Assasin' is doing her job!!!! ;)

Yesterday's hunt only garnered TWO DEAD SLUGGIES. I tell ya, I'm gaining on them! HOORAY!

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] - I'll make another slide show in August using the same exact shots. That will be fun to see the difference!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Quick question...I transplanted some tomato plants from indoors to out, like 2 weeks ago and they're still wilty...what happened? Was it too early, too cold? They're still green though and seem like they are trying to hold on for dear life.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=322]AshleyWoodman[/MENTION] - were they wilty when you put them out and just haven't snapped back or were they fine and then got wilty in the last couple weeks?

Tomatoes love heat. I've been covering mine -- and we had a couple of really nice 78 - 80 degree days so they're looking really happy right now. Today, it's very cool and windy so I'm gonna go out there and cover them back up today. What a pain these tomatoes are. LOL

Maybe wait a few weeks and go buy a new, LARGE tomato plant after you are certain the weather has shifted to summer? I know. It's cheating sort but who cares? U'll have tomatoes in a few weeks!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] They were fine when I transplanted....it must have been too cold. When I transplanted, the nights were still in the 40s :( I'll have to go get a plant if they die on me...I grew those from seeds and was hoping to do the whole process. Oh well, live and learn :) Thanks!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.